Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

N-3B Parka: Own one? Have an opinion?

Corto

A-List Customer
I'm in the market for an N-3B parka, and I was just wondering if anyone on the boards here sports one during winter when you're not wearing your Irvin...

Does anyone have an opinion on one manufacturer over another?

Are there any drawbacks to "flight satin"? Is it water repellent? Sufficient for inclement weather?

I'm curious to know your opinions.

cherrypicker

New in Town
I have various cold weather parka's including n-3b's.I would say go for the pre mid 70's ones,as these tend to have the wool pile inter-lining.The later versions have polyester.They were made by various companies,same as m-a1's.
I would say that they are not really water proof but I have been caught in short showers with no problems.Make sure you get the nylon shell version too,not the cotton as they tend to rot and ladder.
These are very heavy coats and will keep you warm on even the coldest days.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Corto said:
I'm in the market for an N-3B parka, and I was just wondering if anyone on the boards here sports one during winter when you're not wearing your Irvin...

Does anyone have an opinion on one manufacturer over another?

Are there any drawbacks to "flight satin"? Is it water repellent? Sufficient for inclement weather?

I'm curious to know your opinions.

Hi there,

I used to have an N3B made by Albert Turner. I wore it through college until it finally became the victim of too many cigarette burns. Lovely, heavy and comfortable jacket. It was completely waterproof and very warm.

I now have a repro N3 (the earliiest of the N3 parkas with mouton lined hood and exposed knit cuffs) by Buzz Rickson which I would say is actually heavier than the Turner I had.

You can pick up originals up in quite good condition for about £150.

Good hunting

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I owned a couple of them back in the late 60s through late 70s - I wore them all through high school and college. They're outstandingly practical garments, fantastic for dealing with major cold/wind/snow. Don't ask me who made the ones I had back then, I didn't pay attention at the time. All I remember is that they were navy blue with orange linings, and had real wolf fur on the collar. The only significant difference between the two I had was that the second one had a drawstring in the hood, which the first hadn't. They had cost about $40 to $60 in Army-Navy stores - which wasn't exactly cheap at that time, but they held up well, and I wore the heck out of both of them!

The only recent experience I have with N-3Bs is that I got one for my teenage son last year, a current Alpha model in black. Though it is lighter in weight than my old ones, it seems reasonably well-made and has all the proper fittings - waist drawstring, inset knits in the sleeves, correct number of snaps and buttons. I don't care for the removable faux fur on the collar, of course, and the plastic zipper is probably fine, but it just doesn't have the same feel as the old metal ones. For the $99 I paid, it will probably provide him with years of good service, even if it's not a very good rendition of any particular twentieth-century military spec model...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I had one in elementary school. It was the warmest coat I've ever owned. Unfortunately, in the era of the Starter jacket, I was teased unmercifully and stopped wearing it. Now that I've outgrown it, I wish I had it back. I'm not sure what the dividing line is between real fur on the hood and fake fur, but mine had fake fur. My father still has his from his Air Force service and it has real fur. If anything, it's even nicer than my old one.

-Dave

PS Seeing the prices they bring, I'm now kicking myself for not buying one two years ago at a moving sale. It was my size and I think they wanted maybe $15.00.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I bought this 1964 Southern Athletic N-3B late last year. It is huge and heavy. Not much need for it here in North Carolina, but I travel to Wisconsin fairly frequently. I expect it will serve me well when I'm up there during the winter months.

JackiesTesters029.jpg

wisconsin177.jpg

Atticus

Corto

A-List Customer
Doctor Strange said:
The only recent experience I have with N-3Bs is that I got one for my teenage son last year, a current Alpha model in black. ...

I think I'm going to take a pass on the Alpha. I bought an Alpha jacket years back, and for some reason which I can't remember, I didn't like it. (Plus, no metal zipper! A crime.)

I would be interested to know what your son's experiences with it are.
There is no field tester more brutal and demanding than a teenage boy...

Corto

A-List Customer
Atticus Finch said:
I bought this 1964 Southern Athletic N-3B late last year. It is huge and heavy.
Atticus

Is the shell cotton? I'll bet it's a little more windproof than nylon...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Corto said:
I think I'm going to take a pass on the Alpha. I bought an Alpha jacket years back, and for some reason which I can't remember, I didn't like it. (Plus, no metal zipper! A crime.)

I would be interested to know what your son's experiences with it are.
There is no field tester more brutal and demanding than a teenage boy...

Sorry, no can do - being a teenager, he hasn't ever worn it! Like many of his ilk, he continually underdresses in winter, just wearing a very light nylon/fleece jacket over a sweater or hoodie... But I figure that the parka will eventually get some use next year in college, when he's dealing with long walks to early classes in frigid upstate NY conditions!

rumblefish

One Too Many
Atticus Finch said:
I bought this 1964 Southern Athletic N-3B late last year. It is huge and heavy. Not much need for it here in North Carolina, but I travel to Wisconsin fairly frequently. I expect it will serve me well when I'm up there during the winter months.

JackiesTesters029.jpg

wisconsin177.jpg

Atticus

Isn't it nice to have the special purpose outerwear at hand when the conditions call for it.

Corto

A-List Customer
Doctor Strange said:
Sorry, no can do - being a teenager, he hasn't ever worn it! Like many of his ilk, he continually underdresses in winter, just wearing a very light nylon/fleece jacket over a sweater or hoodie... But I figure that the parka will eventually get some use next year in college, when he's dealing with long walks to early classes in frigid upstate NY conditions!

When I was 18, I took a trip to Rochester to check out RIT.
After they told me they'd built a tunnel system beneath the campus so students didn't have to go outside in the winter, I took a look at their square brick school buildings sitting on a bleak plateau and said the hell with it. There was no way I was going to spend a winter up there....

For his sake, I hope that jacket's as good as they say it is...

Danny L

New in Town
I bought my D model Albert Turner last year and love it. I wore it for the first time tonight to work as the temps get down into the mid 20s with very cold wind chill. It was my first vintage N-3B as my previous model was issued to me in the early 90s while in Germany. The vintage models are WAY better with the wool lining and nylon shell.

I'm still learning about these models, but here is what I can tell you.

To get any N-3B with real coyote fur, you have to look for pre '72 versions. If you want one with the mic tab on the front, you have to find D model and earlier.
N-3BTurner1-650.jpg

N-3BTurner2-600.jpg

If you want the nice spring loaded Crown zippers, you have to find C model and earlier. Some C models did come with Conmars though. I've never seen a D model or later come with Crowns.
N-3BTurner3-600.jpg

Not sure if any F models had decals, but I know some E models and certainly D and prior to that had them.
N-3BTurner4-600.jpg

When it comes to fading on N-3Bs, the most common area is around the backside of the fur on the hood. It doesn't bother me too much since it's not noticeable while being worn. The do get some fading on the inside of the zipper flap also. The most important thing to remember when buying any N series parka is the condition of the mouton in the hood. ALWAYS ask the buyer if the mouton has stiffened. Pictures will not show this and it pretty much makes the jacket unusable. Not sure how this happens, but the material sandwiched inside the hood gets really stiff and I assume moisture might have something to do with it.
N-3BTurner5-650.jpg

Hope all this info helps.;)

Chindit

New in Town
I have 3 N-3B's dated 1963, 1970, and 1983 (with the fake fur). While I love these jackets, I have to admit that they are not as warm as my old Eddie Bauer Polar Parka. Just my opinion.

Corto

A-List Customer
Chindit said:
I have 3 N-3B's dated 1963, 1970, and 1983 (with the fake fur). While I love these jackets, I have to admit that they are not as warm as my old Eddie Bauer Polar Parka. Just my opinion.

Yeah. I think the N3_B's look cool, but I'm pretty concerned about their ability to stop wind...I'm hanging on to my ragged, torn up old Carhartt just in case.

Corto

A-List Customer
Danny L said:
I bought my D model Albert Turner last year and love it. I wore it for the first time tonight to work as the temps get down into the mid 20s with very cold wind chill....

Hope all this info helps.;)

It does. I really appreciate it.

Chindit

New in Town
N-3B buttons

Speaking of N-3B's, does anyone know where I could get two buttons for my 1963 jacket? Or even more modern N-3B buttons would do if necessary.
Thanks.

Corto

A-List Customer
I ended up getting a Schott...whoo...I think it's the warmest jacket I've ever owned in my entire life. Very well made. Pictures to come, some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24