Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Napkin Holders..

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
I was sharing a meal with some family members today at home, one of the guests, a lady seldom seen these days by us, sported a rather delicate device that I have no recollection of ever seeing before. She called it a Napkin Holder, but admitted she was not to sure of the correct terminology for it.
Basically it was a silver chain much like a necklace, with two small clips either end which neatly clipped to the table napkin/serviette and retained it over the chest area, thus negating any spillage for the infirm or just careless diner ???
I was most appreciative of it's merits, as it was almost a piece of jewelry in design and manufacture. When I spoke of it's practicality, she revealed a second device, hauled from the depths of the most capacious handbag I have seen in many a long year, this clip was not unlike a tiepin. It clipped onto the top of a sweater/shirt, much like a belt loop, a short flexible chain and then, at the other end, a small, very intricately designed clasp, again in silver, retained the napkin over the chest area...
Has anyone else seen anything like these? I hadn't even when she told me they were quite old and that she had used them frequently when invited to meals......??? Is there a correct name for them ?? :behindsofa:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
The only time I have seen anything like that it was at the dentist - not nearly as grand as the ones you describe. Your lady guest sounds like a wonderful individual; you should see her more often. There could be anything in that bag!

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
According to the wifely woman, this lady and the handbag has at least three ongoing books in there, plus, a photograph album, it is made from tooled leather and has a very wide strap with one of those sliding shoulder pad extensions. She has had the bag for years apparently, she has to be in her seventies now, but going on forty.....
Interesting development with the dentistry angle, this may explain why they are so expensive these days if they use Sterling Silver, handmade, bejewelled napkin holders.......

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I bought my husband one of the gentlemens napkin clips in silver for Christmas after a long search for a nice one. It hooks over the top of the neck of your shirt and grips the napkin in place (in this case, with clasps shaped like clam shells). They are extremely useful and ther first time I saw was was on 'Poirot'. Quite hard to find one for a reasonable price as they are quite collectable these days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran