Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Natural hair products to use with hot rollers?

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
I've been setting my hair with my bedhead hot roller set, and I need product obviously to keep from damaging my hair and to hold the curl just a bit before I put the curlers in. I don't want anything with heavy hold....something light. I would like it to be a "natural brand" like JASON, Giovanni, Aubrey Organics, etc. But I just don't know what to get because I feel that a gel will be "too wet" and not many make light spray gels. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I don't know where you are in the 'South' of, but if you are in the UK I would recommend Naked's Heat Protector spray. All of their products are at least 97% natural, it's a very lightweight mist with a lovely fragrance. It does make hair shinier and smoother, I'm not sure if it'd help with hold though. It's also reasonably priced at £3.99 for 250mls. Used this all the time before I started setting my hair and I loved it, lasted a while too.

dimples

New in Town
I agree with Frenchy's comment. Naked Heat Protector smells absolutely lovely but I haven't tried it before a hot set to check its holding powers.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Perhaps it has a very light hold, my hair seemed to stay slightly straighter than when I'd just dry it, when I was using this. Anyhow, if you like the product but want more hold, Naked also do a hairspray, which I haven't tried.

crwritt

One Too Many
I'm happy to hear that there is a heat protector spray out there that is
not loaded with silicones. Now if it was just available in the US!

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Agreed CR.....I'm in the South of the US. So no dice. :( I may have to settle for a setting spray with water soluble silicones. That might not be so bad. Only problem is most of them are for "heat protection" and don't even offer a little hold.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Sorry that I can't help any further, but I just wanted to say, I share your pain with how hard it is to find natural hair styling products! I know Lush do hair gels, but natural heat protection seems to be very hard to come across. Before I found the Naked spray I used to hate putting a chemical-filled spray on hair that I'd washed with lovely natural shampoo. I would have thought you might have more luck being in the US- I always read about natural brands that aren't available here :(

Now that I do wet sets with sponge rollers the problem's gone away; if switching to a different kind of roller isn't an option for you, then I hope you can find something! :)

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Well granted I have a spray from a brand here called Jane Carter, but I have to wonder how much heat protection it is giving me.

I wish wet sets were an option, but I'd have to sleep in it due to my work schedule. I wouldn't get any sleep! LOL.

I guess I should try to be grateful for what I have huh? :)

crwritt

One Too Many
When I routinely used hot rollers, I would wash my hair the day before and spray in
Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping Spray Gel let it air dry, and use the hot rollers next morning.
I know there's no cones in that one, but I don't know if it protects against heat. It did hold well.

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
So is it general consensus that you can put something in your wet hair and let it dry and it still protect from heat until you wash it out? I was always under the impression that you had to put it in right before the heat. Hmm...interesting concept.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
is it general consensus that you can put something in your wet hair and let it dry and it still protect from heat until you wash it out?

Well, I know nothing really about the science of hair, but I suppose it at least puts a barrier between your hair and the heat, maybe?

Also, I don't know how important this all is to you, but if you're worried about sleeping in sponge rollers I can attest they're more comfy than you might think!

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Well the only reason I'm really concerned is that I'm growing my hair out and want to prevent damage as much as possible. Yet I'm in a profession where I have to look "done up." Ok ok...and I like looking "done up". ;) The hot rollers I don't think are as bad as my old flat iron was, but I still worry that I'm doing irreparable damage and will have to lose length later. My hair grows super slow as it is, so I have to preserve it.

I may have to look into sponge rollers...I'm guessing they are pretty cheap eh? Being of sponge and all I would hope so, but nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to hair products lol.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Well the only reason I'm really concerned is that I'm growing my hair out and want to prevent damage as much as possible. Yet I'm in a profession where I have to look "done up." Ok ok...and I like looking "done up". ;) The hot rollers I don't think are as bad as my old flat iron was, but I still worry that I'm doing irreparable damage and will have to lose length later. My hair grows super slow as it is, so I have to preserve it.

I may have to look into sponge rollers...I'm guessing they are pretty cheap eh? Being of sponge and all I would hope so, but nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to hair products lol.

Well, as I said I am no expert, but I would almost certainly have thought that sponge rollers would be less damaging than hot rollers. If you're concerned about damage then I think it's best to keep heat off your hair as much as possible. Depending on how quickly your hair dries, you might find that wetsets allow you to stop using a hairdryer altogether.

Regarding the price, they should be very cheap, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the cheapest kind of roller. Ebay might be your best bet, or beauty supply shops. I've found Ebay cheaper though.

If comfort is a major issue, then some people recommend pillow or rag rollers. I haven't tried these but I'm sure plenty on here have, sure there's threads relevant to that. But I will say that sponge rollers are pretty comfy after the first few initial nights, and easy to use too.

Matt01

New in Town
There are lots of beauty products available for hair these days. Those include the organic hair oil products, shampoos and conditioners. These products are really helpful to grow your hair in healthy manner. There are even chemical products available; they have serious consequences when used, like experiencing drastic hair fall and extreme dandruff. So be aware of all the artificial chemical based hair products. Try hair products which are exclusively made for curly hairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace