Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Blankets

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Any of you Navy guys out there know the differences in the Navy wool blankets of WWII?

The Navy used, for the most part, a white wool blanket instead of the traditional green "Army Blanket". I know there was some use of the green but as far as the white goes I need someone to help clear up some questions I have.

Navy white blankets usually had "US NAVY" imprinted on them and sometimes sewn and the medical ones designated that as well. Most I've seen have had a blue stripe. Likewise I've seen a few with nothing at all, just white.

I was told the ones with the blue stripe were what was issued to the enlisted sailors and the officer ones just had US Navy with no stripe.

Anybody out there know anything about this? My main question is: what type of blanket was issued to the officers (pilots) aboard ships in WWII?

Thanks!

LCHWBB55

New in Town
Did you ever find out any more about the Navy blankets? I also would like to know the background for a living history interpretation. Thanks LCHWBB55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace