Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Fedora: What ribbon to choose?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow.....

That is one Gorgeous hat....

This is one shade that is missing in my collection, I've been looking for quite sometime but haven't found one I liked yet. They're really hard to come by. It very well may be my 1st VS hat, who knows? That one my friend is truly, a magnificent piece. :eusa_clap

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Spatterdash said:
Okay, Fedoralover, fess up!

Is the ribbon on that baby royal blue or does it match the colour of the felt?
The way the sun hits it in the first few photos, I'd swear it was the ribbon was a shade lighter than the hat, but when you wear it, I can't tell for sure.

Well, to be honest I'm not sure. In the house it seems to match the felt, but in outside lighting it appears a touch lighter. Maybe if Art reads this thread he can say what it is exactly.

Blue fedora's are hard to find, I have one other blue one, it's a pearl blue Mallory 20 and kinda hard to get an accurate pic of, this one is as close as I can get it to true color.
IMG_20060716_0001_2.jpg

fedoralover

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Okay, thanks, Fedoralover!

Good money says that's one of Art's extraordinary vintage ribbons he's so known for. Gadzooks, but the man has a good eye for hue!

I am beginning to lean toward a dark gray, but we shall see. I may just go all the way and have the hat ribboned in burgundy or a dark purple.

Ooo... Navy with a dark purple ribbon. Hmmmm.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hat Band Blues

Wow, good thread. Got some really great pictures coming in on this one.

I have a navy (quite dark but obviously midnight blue in the sun) Borsalino Trionfo made in 1935. Love this hat. Sorry, no pix on Photobucket yet.

Anyway, it already has a perfectly matched blue hatband and I like that.

Now, here's the thing with 'dem mean ol' blues: Get the hat in hand before dwelling much on hatband color choice. The hues of blues are nearly unlimited with some running more to the warmer end (red in the blue) and some more to the cool end. If you go for a little contrast that might be great but a shade lighter cool blue with a dark warm blue could look like a clash, in my opinion.

To me, and I emphasize this is a totally personal preference/opinion, a dark hat with a lighter band gets a little 'zoot suit-ish' looking. It's a little ballsy y'know and some can rock that look but I don't go for it.

With that said, I have noticed that my (dark, warm blue) Borsa' looks really good next to a warm grey or taupe shirt. Might be a band consideration for you when you can place colors up to your hat in person.

Gene

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21