Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Near misses and real losses...

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
So while going to the grocery on the way home from work the wind caught me at an angle and my usually well planted Federation IV got blown off my head and about 15 feet across the parking lot to lie in the path of a pickup truck that was backing into a space. I had visions of my moonstone hat becoming one with the pavement. Luckily I managed to grab it before the wheels hit it. Ugh.

So, anyone else out there having near misses these days? Or worse, full on hat losses?

billyspew

One Too Many
It's only happened once to me, I was going down the escalator in a tube and a get big gust of wind came down the tunnel from behind and blew it off the front of my head, thankfully I managed to catch it before it had gone too far, any other direction though and I fear for what might of happened. I've been up and down those escalators so many many times and nothing, but I now keep a hand on the front of the brim.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
My Royal Stetson...

Blew off my head, rolled down the sidewalk and then down the grassy hill like a pinwheel...only to be stopped short of ending up in the company pond by the cattails on the water's edge.

I was relieved. It only ended up with a little dirt on on the edge of the brim (from rolling so perfectly in the dirt, of course).

It was this hat - luckily, it's an "earthy" color to begin with. lol

June%2029%20003.jpg

Dewhurst

Practically Family
My Biltmore Rosellini Luauro flew off the back of my head when a wind gust blasted my face while I was driving my wife to the store.

Thankfully, I don't have a convertible, otherwise it would have been "Bye, Bye, Biltmore...".

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I've only had a hat blow off my head once up in windy northwestern Iowa while vitisting my old college. It was my peach Champ Whippet-clone the same day I found it at an antique shop.

A gust of wind blew it off my head and spun it like a wheel towards a big mud puddle. Thankfully I was able to catch it before any harm was done.

Goose.

Practically Family
FurFeltFedora said:
... my usually well planted Federation IV got blown off my head and about 15 feet across the parking ...

Hope you never have a day where wish you hadn't snipped off the trolley of your Campdraft... :eusa_doh: ;) :p

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:

Hope you never have a day where wish you hadn't snipped off the trolley of your Campdraft... :eusa_doh: ;) :p

Before I got my Campdraft, one of the features that I really wanted on my fedora was that wind trolley. I loved the way that button looked at the base of the crown. Weird. I would never actually use it though. It just seems too annoying and flimsy to deal with. Maybe, if the wind was up at around 70 mph. Of course that would be the day I wore a Fed.

I've had to clamp my hat on with my hand because of the wind, but haven't lost one yet. My Capricorn almost became airborne, but I grabbed it in time.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
16-17 years back I was mowing my place with the tractor and was wearing a Resistol 5 Star Beaver western (5 Stars were more or less the equivalent of clear beaver Stetsons). I passed under a low tree limb and ducked but the hat got knocked off. I immediately stopped and looked back and the hat was behind tractor and IMMEDIATELY in front of mower. I put the tractor in reverse to get a little more safety zone between hat and mower and when I began to move backwards the tractor tire rolled off a branch of a bush and it slung the hat under mower...... hat destroyed.

The silver lining to the cloud was it gave me justification to go buy another hat!

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Goose it figures you would bring that up :) I'm willing to take my chances with the wind not to have to deal with that wind trolley. I mean, it's a great idea - but no.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I actually had a gust of wind blow my hat off and into a busy street once. I could only watch in horror as a car ran right over it and flattened it beyond repair. It was irreplaceable. I simply didn't have the means to buy another one. Besides, nothing could ever replace THAT one.

That was in 1959...and I was six...and it was a cowboy hat. But hey...it happened.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
FurFeltFedora said:
When I was 6 my mother threw out a toy battleship (must have been about 2 or 3 feet long and I loved it) and I'm still traumatized by that so don't feel bad ;)
:D I totally understand, FFF.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Childhood flashback!

Woh - I think FFF and Blackthorn just awakened a repressed childhood memory...

As a 3-year-old in Canada I had a little maple leaf bucket hat that I lived in. Then as a 12-year-old I had to stand by and watch it sink in the wake of a sailing boat after my 2-year-old brother threw it overboard. Don't think I didn't consider leaping in after it!
:(

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
I feel your pain, but..........?

Trust me when I say I can see how you feel, and/or felt about your Mom tossing your favorite toy in the trash. My first such case happened when I had to take my steel pedal-car to the scrap drive collection center during WWll. Lot's of tears, but also a feeling of pride that my little car was going to be turned into a bomb to help win the war.
However, many years later, when it was my turn to join up, and I was gone, my dear old Mom tossed out each and every one of my radio serial box-top premium pieces, like the Tom Mix secret compartment ring, and Captain Midnight decoder badge, and Straight Arrow combination magnifying glass, distress whistle, compass, and of course the obligatory secret compartment, and last, but not least, the darned thing actually glowed in the dark. Along with these treasures went far too many other gems of childhood to list here.
I think I'll just take my cup of Ovaltine and go to my room now, and see if Hoppy is on the radio yet.
Moral: Don't grow up. It's a trap!!

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Now THAT is tragic. No sarcasm.

Frankie Lamb said:
Trust me when I say I can see how you feel, and/or felt about your Mom tossing your favorite toy in the trash. My first such case happened when I had to take my steel pedal-car to the scrap drive collection center during WWll. Lot's of tears, but also a feeling of pride that my little car was going to be turned into a bomb to help win the war.
However, many years later, when it was my turn to join up, and I was gone, my dear old Mom tossed out each and every one of my radio serial box-top premium pieces, like the Tom Mix secret compartment ring, and Captain Midnight decoder badge, and Straight Arrow combination magnifying glass, distress whistle, compass, and of course the obligatory secret compartment, and last, but not least, the darned thing actually glowed in the dark. Along with these treasures went far too many other gems of childhood to list here.
I think I'll just take my cup of Ovaltine and go to my room now, and see if Hoppy is on the radio yet.
Moral: Don't grow up. It's a trap!!

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Yeah Frankie ya got me beat hands down. Reminds me of my father when I was a kid and used to complain about how rough I had it. He'd go off and come back with his ration book from WWII when he was a boy in England, slap it down on the table and say "Stop your bellyaching boy! When I was your age the Jerries were bombing my house!"

How exactly as a 10 year old do you beat "the Jerries were bombing my house"?

You don't. You shut up and quit your bellyaching :)

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Keep 'em flyin'

Yeah, Fur Felt Fedora, your Dad had a good point. If he's still with us, tell him I got even with those Jerries for him; I let the Army Air Force drop my peddle car on them. After they used it to make a bomb with of course.
Frankie L.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart