Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a new spring/summer clothes wardrobe

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I am on a very tight budget. Spring is here and summer is just around the corner. I am looking for 1930-1940 suggestions. Hats, scarfs, dresses, capris, skirts, and blouses, too. The main thing I am looking for is clothing I can wear to the office and survive 90 degree weather. Where I work I can ware almost anything. As long as it is not sleeveless (short sleeves are okay), beach wear, or shorts.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Are you looking for general ideas or specific suggestions of outfits? Also, is your office air conditioned?

One thing I would recommend is separates. You can get away with a few skirts (wearing them multiple times without washing- after all, you have a slip on, so the skirt isn't actually touching skin). It's much harder to wear a shirt multiple days if it's hot. For the heat, cotton seersucker is always wonderful, as is linen. I'd recommend a wide-brim straw hat, as that sort of hat will keep the sun off your head and keep you significantly cooler. Since you're in Chicago, I'd recommend a hat with a ribbon you can tie under your chin to keep it from blowing off.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Are you looking for general ideas or specific suggestions of outfits? Also, is your office air conditioned?

One thing I would recommend is separates. You can get away with a few skirts (wearing them multiple times without washing- after all, you have a slip on, so the skirt isn't actually touching skin). It's much harder to wear a shirt multiple days if it's hot. For the heat, cotton seersucker is always wonderful, as is linen. I'd recommend a wide-brim straw hat, as that sort of hat will keep the sun off your head and keep you significantly cooler. Since you're in Chicago, I'd recommend a hat with a ribbon you can tie under your chin to keep it from blowing off.

Both. Not well air conditioned we use fans also.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I think the idea of separates is your best bet - about three or four skirts/capris and as many blouses as you can afford that all mix and match means you will have lots of outfits to choose from.

Work out a colour scheme that would work for you and go from there. Just remember that every top should go with every bottom for maximum wear of your new wardrobe!

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I think the idea of separates is your best bet - about three or four skirts/capris and as many blouses as you can afford that all mix and match means you will have lots of outfits to choose from.

Work out a colour scheme that would work for you and go from there. Just remember that every top should go with every bottom for maximum wear of your new wardrobe!
You and Sheeplady are so right about choosing separates. Great idea on choosing a color scheme to work with. I have the book Color Me Beautiful and it describes what spring/summer colors I look best in as well as accessories. I adore the thought of a large straw hat plus I have a bunch of hat pins I can start using . This is going to be much better then my carrying an umbrella to block out the sun.

Skirt wise: I am finding great skirts however all I can find at the moment is skirts with patterns, I am finding it hard to find any that are one solid color.
I will still add in a dress or two to break up the monotony and a chiffon scarf here and there for my hair on days I can go without a hat. Plus I will still use my silver, pearls, and bakelit jewelry, too.
I got a pair of 1940 sunglasses also. And some short soft fabric gloves to add when needed. As for shoes I plan on wearing sling back peep toe espadrille wedges once the weather gets warm enough. And my saddle shoes with bobby socks ruffled and unruffled.

I was throught at the Janurary 1941 issue of Good Housekeeping magazine and they had some wondeful tips and ideas on clothing for the office and the for the woman on the go.

If you have any ideas feel free to add. All feed back is welcomed.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I have been using my sun hat a lot lately and have gotten a lot of nice compliments on it, too. I keep saying to myself why didn't I get this hat sooner.
I have also decided to wear my everyday oxford loafers (flats, some times one does not want to wear heels all the time. Perfect shoes), my trench coat, and cardigans am slowly working in the color skeem I have chosen to wear this summer. This is all working out famously!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
linen solids are great for a skirt! I had a 30s pattern skirt made for me by seamstress who is a vintage store owner. A fun look, and she made me a little 30s polka dot blouse of summer weight fabric to go with it. I wore it to a Gatsby picnic event, but the skirt especially is timeless! Look at a fabric store to find a silk or silky fabric you can make a little scarf from too.

btw, I'm a huge Color Me Beautiful fan(atic) ever since the book first came out in the 1980s. Do use it! Having that as a guide has made a big impact for me! I'm a Spring as is my teen daughter.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
oh, here's an idea; for a trip to Greece I made an all silk travel wardrobe; I used charmeuse in two different solids and a print, chiffon for a scarf in the same print as the charmeuse, a burn out velvet for a top and a easy dress, and two different noils for a skirt, longish shorts, a jacket and long pants. The colors all coordinated so every thing mixed and matched. I even made a set of crystal jewelry with all the colors in the fabrics. I have worn these pieces again and again ever since the trip. I can hand wash them easily, and they have held up great.

vintagebobbin

New in Town
I wear this skirt all the time. It's simplicity's 4044. It's a simple skirt to sew and very versatile in a solid color. I actually paired it with a blouse I bought at Forever 21 for $12. I actually made the skirt in a faux-linen. It looks and feels like linen, very light and economical, but doesn't wrinkle as terribly as the real stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick