Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need hat advice

fedoracentric

Banned
We have talked about Sterkowski on another thread and the verdict seems to be that it is a nice hat for the price. You can't go wrong with a Sterkowski as a first fedora.

Asmo

One of the Regulars
I agree with these replies and will say that grey is a great color to start with as you can wear it with many combinations. I say "start with" because hats are like potato chips. It's hard to just have one. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is quite nice (price and look), but I am not sure about the color. Seems a little light for my taste. *Plus the auction has ended.

Yeah, I know. Just posted by way of example on what's available out there.

Most here seem to prefer vintage to contemporary & fur to wool. For reasons we will expound upon at great length, making you wish you'd never asked! :eusa_doh:

I am afraid if you begin with wool, you will be let down &, perhaps incorrectly, feel you are not a "hat man".

When in fact you are just not a crappy, inferior, costume grade Chinese factory wool hat man.

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
I started with a wool Scala. Nice hat for the price, but wool tends to have a coarser finish than fur, and I always worry about it getting wet. I want a hat to protect me from the elements, not the other way around. Mine has the sweatband sewn in too high, so the reed leaves a mark in my forehead. Don't know if that's true for all of Scala's hats. The big problem with inexpensive hats, is that medium will never fit as well as a proper size.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the hat. I still feel like it's a good hat, for the money. I'm glad I got it. It let me know if I'd actually wear a fedora (thought I might be too self conscious) and let me form a more educated opinion on brim size. If I hadn't gotten myself a fur felt hat, I'd still be wearing the Scala. I do recommend getting some Scotchgard, if you get the wool hat.

Sebastien Basset

New in Town
I started with a wool Scala. Nice hat for the price, but wool tends to have a coarser finish than fur, and I always worry about it getting wet. I want a hat to protect me from the elements, not the other way around. Mine has the sweatband sewn in too high, so the reed leaves a mark in my forehead. Don't know if that's true for all of Scala's hats. The big problem with inexpensive hats, is that medium will never fit as well as a proper size.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the hat. I still feel like it's a good hat, for the money. I'm glad I got it. It let me know if I'd actually wear a fedora (thought I might be too self conscious) and let me form a more educated opinion on brim size. If I hadn't gotten myself a fur felt hat, I'd still be wearing the Scala. I do recommend getting some Scotchgard, if you get the wool hat.

From what everyone seems to be saying, the Sterkowski Rabbit Fur Felt one I found on Amazon seems to be a pretty good choice for a "first" fedora.

Landman

One Too Many
Definitely stay away from wool hats!

Here is the thread about Sterkowski hats. I have never owned one but from the comments in the thread it appears to be a nice hat for the price.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...owski-hats-opinions-experiences-wanted-please

Akubra makes a great hat. They are more expensive but still very reasonable. Here is a link to the Fed IV. It comes open crown so you can crease it anyway you want.

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=38&returncat=Federation&returnpage=0

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
sebastien
I CHARLIE AM THE KING AND PROTECTOR OF PLANET WOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if its your first fedora wool is fine on a budget BUT stay away from scala its like wearing a hard hat.
go out and try some fedoras at places like steinmart and some others from ebay are country gentleman , ll bean so on so on.
but i sincerly admit fur felt rules my first was a ragged out dobbs which i wear to work from oct - may .
look on ebay every now andagain you get lucky with a royal stetson or a dobbs right now im akubras biggest fan i own 3 and bought each for $50 and under dont be afraid to try at least one homburg ( look it up )
no matter here at the lounge were all good people and family

plus i share my home with two bassets:eeek:

Last edited:

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Edumacate Me

OK guys, edumacate me. I'm going to buy a Fedora, something along the lines of Indiana Jones or Bogart. I don't intend to spend a lot on one but I need to know things like what is the best material and are there specific nuances I should look for? Thanks.

Hothir

New in Town
Fur Felt is the best material. Wool just doesn't make a very durable soft hat. If you want an Indy hat the Akubra federation is a good mid level option. Better than the cheap ones but not as nice as custom. Akubra also offers other fedora styles and I am sure others will chime in with other good options.

http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html

GregNYC

One Too Many
+1 more. I've been buying a ton of retail hats in the last several months as I began my hat hobby. Akubra is a very solid choice! I have the Akubra Stylemaster, but the Federation is more like an American movie hat. If my retailer had the Fed, I would have picked it up instead. You get a lot of bang for the buck with Akubra! Plus a great color with the Fed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy