Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need hat advice

My experience buying a first hat in decades (3-4 yrs. ago) was with a custom hatter because I wanted some advice, and wanted to be certain it fit. Art Fawcett sent his conformator, and they always fit like a glove. My first one was very conservative, stodgy steel. Start with a mainstay gray color like that unless you wear a lot of browns, IMO.

konadog

Practically Family
just ordered the akubra stylemaster in acorn after looking through enough photos to appreciate the wider brim. will post photos once it arrives.

Cat_in_the_hat

New in Town
Is this a good hat?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281702607071?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20140127100817%2526meid%253Dec031b8aee244f11a062c9516cef7ed9%2526pid%253D100107%2526rk%253D1%2526rkt%253D25%2526mehot%253Des%2526sd%253D281678427559&_trksid=p2056116.c100107.m2460

I am new to hats and didn't know if this is a good buy.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs is a wonderful and historic hat maker

and if you are into stingy brims that is for sure a fine hat

the stingy brim hats tend to go for much cheaper as well ... so if that is your thing you are in luck

nice hat indeed made by a quality hat maker

I feel like that hat may be more 60's than '50s.... maybe someone else could tell you for sure

tommyK

One Too Many
20120504082434843.jpg
Answered my own question

Cat_in_the_hat

New in Town
Dobbs is a wonderful and historic hat maker

and if you are into stingy brims that is for sure a fine hat

the stingy brim hats tend to go for much cheaper as well ... so if that is your thing you are in luck

nice hat indeed made by a quality hat maker

I feel like that hat may be more 60's than '50s.... maybe someone else could tell you for sure

Do people not like small brims because they do not block the sun or because of looks?

tommyK

One Too Many
Cat, You should like whatever you like.

From a collector standpoint, big brims and tall crowns are where it's at. And folks like me who want the big brims to shield from the elements

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Do people not like small brims because they do not block the sun or because of looks?

I can't speak for anyone else... I just like what I feel looks ok on me and doesn't swallow my face ... or the other side ... my face swallow the brim

I do like a brim to block the sun and rain sure.... but I have s few stingys that I dig as well

buy what you like and being newer to hats expect your tastes to change

there is really no good and bad to me.... just hats I like and hats I don't

facade

A-List Customer

Lot's of folk like smaller brimmed hats. They fetch less because:

1) Easier to find a modern hat with a "stingy" brim so neophytes don't need to buy on eBay.

2) Smaller brims were popular in the last hat-wearing era so there's more of them.

3) Because Indy didn't wear them.

Cat_in_the_hat

New in Town
Lot's of folk like smaller brimmed hats. They fetch less because:

1) Easier to find a modern hat with a "stingy" brim so neophytes don't need to buy on eBay.

2) Smaller brims were popular in the last hat-wearing era so there's more of them.

3) Because Indy didn't wear them.

Lol number three gave me a good laugh. I love this forum.

Yeah haha i have always wanted a vintage fedora. I have only owned western style Stetsons and my favorite open road Stetson... Can these fedoras be worn with anything? Like jeans or khaki shorts or are they too formal?

I hope you enjoy it. And I wear them with everything from t-shirts and shorts to suits, now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21