Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need hat advice

Courier Six

New in Town
I’m needing some advice. Looking to have one durable western hat in dark brown that’s mostly straight sided with very little to no taper and a 3 inch brim. Something that will be good in the rain, snow, hiking, working outside (when I visit my dad). I looked at the heritage felt Akubra Overlander which is like the snowy river in Dark Fawn. I also spoke to John Penman back in the summer about a beaver felt hat and he was real helpful, but I ended up having transmission issues in my Jeep Wrangler so the hat got put on hold.

I’d like a hat band like John Marston’s from the Red Dead Redemption games with the Grommets (pictured below). I actually really like the overall profile and brim shape of his hat. Just wish it was dark brown. Who would you recommend for making the hat band?

I travel a lot and I am pretty sentimental. I like the idea of having a hat grow old with me like Indiana Jones did with his.
When something of mine breaks I try to repair it, but I try to maintain everything so nothing falls to pieces in the first place. I’m 31 and my style hasn’t changed much in ages. I pretty much use my Custom Magnoli Leather Jacket and my filson briefcase I got in college for everywhere along with my old Frye harness boots and some Alden Indy’s I saved up for. I try not to be wasteful or have too much clutter.

Also pictured below: the heritage felt Akubra Overlander. I like it’s look but wish the dent was more shallow. I don’t want the top of the hat touching my head.

Apart from an Akubra or getting a custom from John Penman, is there anyone else I should look into? Thank you all for the help.

Attachments

• D679BB52-A196-49BE-8B7C-00BEF883DF04.jpeg
    D679BB52-A196-49BE-8B7C-00BEF883DF04.jpeg
    640 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 2D94B365-96AF-4E72-9890-397E79CCF360.jpeg
    2D94B365-96AF-4E72-9890-397E79CCF360.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,100
Last edited:

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
My 2 favorite heavy duty travel hat are my Akubra Snowy River and / or my custom "bullet proof" Peter Brothers fedora. Peter Brothers is darker brown with the wider ribbon. I like them both because when traveling they hold their shapes well, they don't need to be "Babied", are heavy duty and don't blow off my head easily.
20191213_105921-756x1008.jpg
20180927_140020.jpg
IMG_5447.JPG
20180309_150817.jpg

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Looks like the Akubra Overlander would be suitable if you're aiming for something like Marston's hat. And with a bit of steam you can get it just as if you wish.
Although Akubra make OK hats & you can use them in all weathers, they won't last a lifetime if you wear them everyday, especially if they see a lot of rain but that shouldn't be your primary concern at this stage as once you've put your foot on the first rung of the hat ladder, you'll likely be wanting to change style sometime in the future anyway. For a first hat though, the Akubra is a good choice.
The hat band you mention looks like a simple strip of leather with O grommets,making one should be straight forward enough if you have the materials, tools & know how. It will be heavy though.;)

Courier Six

New in Town
I’m definitely trying to avoid having a large collection of hats. I still have the old wool Stetson I was given when I was five that is unwearable now and I tried a Stetson crushable for 50 bucks off amazon but I hate how tapered it is.

I won’t be wearing the hat everyday, but when I do it will be hard wearing and would knocked about and thrown in the Jeep. I don’t want to worry about having to baby it. Something that would go well with my travel jacket pictured below.

I know the Akubra’s are tough, but if I need to skip a step and go to the custom to get a lifetime hat would that be best?

I would consider making the hat band, but my girlfriend also is a better craftsman than me and could whip it up. She already tailored a vest for me and made me a canvas toiletry bag.

Attachments

• 11EEE4C7-AE64-4797-A71D-E5AF16BE65FC.jpeg
    11EEE4C7-AE64-4797-A71D-E5AF16BE65FC.jpeg
    612.1 KB · Views: 1,057
Last edited:
I’m needing some advice. Looking to have one durable western hat in dark brown that’s mostly straight sided with very little to no taper and a 3 inch brim. Something that will be good in the rain, snow, hiking, working outside (when I visit my dad). I looked at the heritage felt Akubra Overlander which is like the snowy river in Dark Fawn. I also spoke to John Penman back in the summer about a beaver felt hat and he was real helpful, but I ended up having transmission issues in my Jeep Wrangler so the hat got put on hold.

I’d like a hat band like John Marston’s from the Red Dead Redemption games with the Grommets (pictured below). I actually really like the overall profile and brim shape of his hat. Just wish it was dark brown. Who would you recommend for making the hat band?

I travel a lot and I am pretty sentimental. I like the idea of having a hat grow old with me like Indiana Jones did with his.
When something of mine breaks I try to repair it, but I try to maintain everything so nothing falls to pieces in the first place. I’m 31 and my style hasn’t changed much in ages. I pretty much use my Custom Magnoli Leather Jacket and my filson I got in college for everywhere along with my old Frye harness boots and some Alden Indy’s I saved up for. I try not to be wasteful or have too much clutter.

Also pictured below: the heritage felt Akubra Overlander. I like it’s look but wish the dent was more shallow. I don’t want the top of the hat touching my head.

Apart from an Akubra or getting a custom from John Penman, is there anyone else I should look into? Thank you all for the help.

That’s...er...some hat. ;) Do you really see yourself wearing it 30 years from now?
While the style might not be to all of our tastes, to each his own. You could go cheap and buy a used western and reshape it and trim the brim. This will give you a very sturdy fur felt hat with thick firm felt that will take a lot of abuse and hold its shape.

If you want to go the custom route, I’d recommend The Phoenix Hat Company. The hatter, Rick, could make you the hat in a beaver blend. He’s also handy with leather work and could probably replicate the hat band for you. I’m also guessing that you’d spend about half of what you would on a Penman and get a hat that’s just as good.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/phoenix-hat-company.93410/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Courier Six

New in Town
That’s...er...some hat. ;) Do you really see yourself wearing it 30 years from now?
While the style might not be to all of our tastes, to each his own. You could go cheap and buy a used western and reshape it and trim the brim. This will give you a very sturdy fur felt hat with thick firm felt that will take a lot of abuse and hold its shape.

If you want to go the custom route, I’d recommend The Phoenix Hat Company. The hatter, Rick, could make you the hat in a beaver blend. He’s also handy with leather work and could probably replicate the hat band for you. I’m also guessing that you’d spend about half of what you would on a Penman and get a hat that’s just as good.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/phoenix-hat-company.93410/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m mainly a fan of the grommet hat band and the overall proportions or scale to the head. Guess I’m using it as reference since I’m not looking for a large hat. I would like something to last me ages from now. Still using a lot of old inherited things that were given to me and the older and more broken in and weathered they have become the more happy I have been. (Except for my Jeep though, after 14 years I’m trying to hide her age.)

I’m currently looking through the link you sent. I guess the best way to contact Rick is through here currently?

I’m guessing that’s a bad thing?
As I wrote above, mainly a fan of the hat band. I’d prefer something more like an Akubra Overlander/snowy river in shape. Just with a less “bubbly” crown.

Courier Six

New in Town
The nice thing about hatbands is that they can always be replaced should your tastes happen to change. The hat itself, however, should be built to last forever. Shoot me an email sometime (phoenixhats@outlook.com) if you'd like.

Thank you. I plan to send you one later today when I get better service/signal.
Definitely looking to get a rugged hat checked off my list.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, Not a style suggestion, but a buying suggestion. 1. Don't buy a wool hat, they tend to taper as they age, Wool shrinks. 2. You don't mention where you live, but somewhere on here there's a list of hatters. Find one in your state, IN GENERAL a hatter can make something very close to what you want. That's probably a 95% rule. As an example, Penman PROBABLY has fewer western hat bodies to choose from than Mike Moore and Roy Jackson have. Western felt bodies are larger and more stiff than Fedora Dress felt. I know Mike Moore makes Fedoras, but it seems that most of his business is Western.

Later

Courier Six

New in Town
I don't own a Penman but my buddy does so I have seen it up close. Penman makes a good hat, no question. I own 4 of Rick @Phoenix Hats and can attest to their quality matching up to the Penman.

That's good to hear. I'm basically trying to find a bulletproof hat and remember reading his beaver hat being referenced. The hat doesn't need to be a looker. It will probably get ugly in time anyway.

Hi, Not a style suggestion, but a buying suggestion. 1. Don't buy a wool hat, they tend to taper as they age, Wool shrinks. 2. You don't mention where you live, but somewhere on here there's a list of hatters. Find one in your state, IN GENERAL a hatter can make something very close to what you want. That's probably a 95% rule. As an example, Penman PROBABLY has fewer western hat bodies to choose from than Mike Moore and Roy Jackson have. Western felt bodies are larger and more stiff than Fedora Dress felt. I know Mike Moore makes Fedoras, but it seems that most of his business is Western.

Later

I'm from out of Richmond, VA and spend a bit of time on the Chesapeake Bay. I regrettably have worn the moss wool felt Stetson Mallory I was given as a kid in many of rainstorms. It shrunk and tapered fiercely and lost the hat band. It's unwearable, but I can't throw it away.

A western body felt would be ideal. It's going to be strictly a work/field hat when I go back to the Smoky Mountains or the Pacific Northwest. I'm not a dressy person, so something rugged, tough, but comfortable is preferred. Instead of rotating through a whole bunch of things, I'd rather have the one and not have to think about it too much.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I’m guessing that’s a bad thing?
As I wrote above, mainly a fan of the hat band. I’d prefer something more like an Akubra Overlander/snowy river in shape. Just with a less “bubbly” crown.

Oh, I just dislike the leather hat they gave Marston. Don't think it's historically accurate.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
That's good to hear. I'm basically trying to find a bulletproof hat and remember reading his beaver hat being referenced. The hat doesn't need to be a looker. It will probably get ugly in time anyway.

I'm from out of Richmond, VA and spend a bit of time on the Chesapeake Bay. I regrettably have worn the moss wool felt Stetson Mallory I was given as a kid in many of rainstorms. It shrunk and tapered fiercely and lost the hat band. It's unwearable, but I can't throw it away.

A western body felt would be ideal. It's going to be strictly a work/field hat when I go back to the Smoky Mountains or the Pacific Northwest. I'm not a dressy person, so something rugged, tough, but comfortable is preferred. Instead of rotating through a whole bunch of things, I'd rather have the one and not have to think about it too much.

It sounds like Rick at Phoenix is your man. The first hat Rick built for me was intended to be a beater/work/woods hat. Western-weight beaver felt, and it has stood time, weather, and wear extremely well so far.

54826_800x600.jpg

Here's the link where I reviewed the hat, if you're interested:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/phoenix-hat-company.93410/page-10#post-2452754

Rick has built two more beaver hats for me since this one, and they keep getting better. And he's our next-door neighbor, too, from over in East Tennessee!

Good luck,
Regan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff