Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help! Stylemaster or Federation??

deelovely

Practically Family
Ok, Here is my dilemma... My birthday is in a few weeks and I am hoping to get a new hat. I was wanting a hat in a lighter color and had the tawny fawn Federation in mind. However, last night while looking at pics of different hats, I got to thinking that maybe the Federation might not be as suitable with the wide brim and taller crown as compared to the Stylemaster. I really like the Acorn color that it comes in as well...
So, which do ya'll think I should go with??

carter

I'll Lock Up
deelovely said:
Ok, Here is my dilemma... My birthday is in a few weeks and I am hoping to get a new hat. I was wanting a hat in a lighter color and had the tawny fawn Federation in mind. However, last night while looking at pics of different hats, I got to thinking that maybe the Federation might not be as suitable with the wide brim and taller crown as compared to the Stylemaster. I really like the Acorn color that it comes in as well...

Having owned both, I'd recommend the Federation over the Stylemaster. You might also consider the Federation Deluxe.

pils

New in Town
If you give the Fed a c-crown you can fold it down to be quite low, if you wish.

Carter, why do you recommend the Fed over the Stylemaster? (I am asking out of interest).

Barb

One of the Regulars
How about BOTH?

I DO like my Black Federation (but I like very wide brims. The high crown is OK (or at least I think so).

Too bad there isn't a "virtual try on" site somewhere - upload your picture and try on a hat like you can with some hairstyle sites.

deelovely said:

Havana

One of the Regulars
Both are certainly great hats. Give some consideration to the ribbon as well. I believe the Fed's ribbon is around 1.5" while the Stylemaster is considerably thinner. The Fed has a contrasting ribbon while the Stylemaster has a matching ribbon. (Stock ribbons can certainly be changed.) The Stylemaster has a bound brim which gives it a more dressy look. The Fed's brim is not bound and could be trimmed (skillfully) if it proved to be too wide. Creasing a Fed as a C-crown will easily take a full inch out of that open crown height. The Stylemaster's crown is slightly tapered. Personally, I believe that all crowns will eventually taper so I try to not buy one with it already built in. I don't want to make your choice harder but the Akubra Squatter is worth a look as well. Just some food for thought.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Stylemaster.

Good hat as it is, the Federation is a fairly big-proportioned hat, and does not always compliment feminine faces all that well. From what I have seen both of you and the stylemaster, I would say that it's softer shape and shorter crown would suit you better, whilst retaining the sort of fedora characteristics I think you'd like.

Ande1964

Practically Family
I think I have to agree with fatwoul... I just have a feeling the Stylemaster will suit you better.

Best,
Anj

carter

I'll Lock Up
pils said:
If you give the Fed a c-crown you can fold it down to be quite low, if you wish.
Carter, why do you recommend the Fed over the Stylemaster? (I am asking out of interest).

Pils, There are a couple of reasons why I, personally, prefer the Federation. The main one is that I like the straight-sided crown of the Federation vs the tapered crown of the Stylemaster. As much as I like a bound edge, I did not care for the coordinating trim on my Acorn Stylemaster. I also prefer the felt of the Federation vs that of the Stylemaster. Once again, this is personal preference.
A lot of this, as noted previously, has to do with the size and shape of the wearer's head. I wear a 7 5/8 (61cm) and have a considerable amount of head above my ears. A lower crown or a tapered crown just don't look good on me. I also like to drive with the top down and a deep crown feels a lot more secure on my noggin.
I have a Stylemaster, some Adam, Champ, and Mallory hats. I think these are more suitable for people looking for slightly lower crowns and more narrow, but not stingy, brims.

J.B.

Practically Family
Dittoes !

Ande1964 said:
I think I have to agree with fatwoul... I just have a feeling the Stylemaster will suit you better.

Best,
Anj
:arated:

fatwoul said:
Stylemaster.

Good hat as it is, the Federation is a fairly big-proportioned hat, and does not always compliment feminine faces all that well. From what I have seen both of you and the stylemaster, I would say that it's softer shape and shorter crown would suit you better, whilst retaining the sort of fedora characteristics I think you'd like.
+2
emogrinyesfk7.gif

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
I'm only trying to help.....:D ...and face it...Dee would look fab in either.
Does she still want the Art also?:D
Yes that is looking like the plan for feb. anniversary. I'm gonna have to get a second job:eusa_doh: :eusa_booh :cry:

pils

New in Town
carter said:
Pils, There are a couple of reasons why I, personally, prefer the Federation. The main one is that I like the straight-sided crown of the Federation vs the tapered crown of the Stylemaster. As much as I like a bound edge, I did not care for the coordinating trim on my Acorn Stylemaster. I also prefer the felt of the Federation vs that of the Stylemaster. Once again, this is personal preference.
A lot of this, as noted previously, has to do with the size and shape of the wearer's head. I wear a 7 5/8 (61cm) and have a considerable amount of head above my ears. A lower crown or a tapered crown just don't look good on me. I also like to drive with the top down and a deep crown feels a lot more secure on my noggin.
I have a Stylemaster, some Adam, Champ, and Mallory hats. I think these are more suitable for people looking for slightly lower crowns and more narrow, but not stingy, brims.

Thanks Carter. I have the same head measurement, and I was looking at the Stylemaster as a possible new hat. It sounds like some other model might look better.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
I'm gonna have to get a second job:eusa_doh: :eusa_booh :cry:

Howdy,

Naah, Indycop, just quit buying Gurkhas and switch over to Parodis or Roi-Tans for a while. :)

Cheers,
Mark

deelovely

Practically Family
tandmark said:
Howdy,

Naah, Indycop, just quit buying Gurkhas and switch over to Parodis or Roi-Tans for a while. :)
Cheers,
Mark
Thank you Mark!! That is a great idea!:eusa_clap lol

And thank you all for your advice! I do think I will go with the Acorn Stylemaster for now... and then maybe still get the Tawny fawn Federation some day in the future.:D

fatwoul

Practically Family
deelovely said:
...I do think I will go with the Acorn Stylemaster for now... and then maybe still get the Tawny fawn Federation some day in the future.:D

Don't feel like you have to get the tawny Federation, though. See how the Stylemaster looks on you, but don't consider it to be an interim whilst you wait for a Federation, cos they're the same price. If you really want a Federation, go with it, wear it confidently, and I'm sure it will look fine. My only concern is that because of the proportions of a Fed, the hat might end up wearing you.

Ultimately, you have to get the hat you want. There's no point getting the hat you think you should, and then spending months hankering for the other, and not wearing the hat you got because it's not really the one you wanted.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandmark
Howdy,

Naah, Indycop, just quit buying Gurkhas and switch over to Parodis or Roi-Tans for a while.

Cheers,
Mark

indycop said:
About to be swishers:(

These are hat brands I'm unfamiliar with. Could you guys post some pictures with them on your heads? :) :rolleyes: lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael