Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need input-bowler with tux?

Edward

Bartender
animator said:
This discussion is interesting, but if you are in a wedding your job is to wear what the couple being married tells you to wear.

This is, of course, wholly correct (and the only reason I've ever been known to suffer a pre-tied cravat.... ghastly thing).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
When we married, I was in formal evening dress and top-hat. The rabbi was wearing a gehrock and a homburg rather than a top-hat. He later explained he hadn't been sure about my choice of hat and didn't want to outdress the bridegroom, which I found uncommonly considerate and amicable.
Kind of goes with the calling, though...that fine sense of protocol, and the understanding that clothes in context have meaning as well as style.

Edward said:
Oh, and whatever you do, don't wear "grey tie" (black bow tie & waistcoat with tails) - you will look like a waiter.
Or a respected concert saxophonist. Last time I saw Claude Delangle perform, he had forsaken white tie for black tie (and weskit) with tails. He played exquisitely but looked as tho he was "in service." (Claude, you may serve the armagnac now...there's a good man. lol)

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
Thanks for all of the input!

And I was afraid that this thread would be ignored! I appreciate all of the input and it has been an education, to say the least. I am thinking that in order to avoid a social or fashion faux pas, I will suck it up and go hatless. I don't need to be spending more money, anyways. Thanks again to all who contributed answers.

metropd

One Too Many
Clownish?:eusa_doh: If you look at pictures from the early 20th century the top hat was worn with lounge suits and stroller jackets. If done right it works just like anything else. You just have to be careful when you break the rules but if you know what your doing thats where creativity comes in.

Edward

Bartender
metropd said:
Clownish?:eusa_doh: If you look at pictures from the early 20th century the top hat was worn with lounge suits and stroller jackets. If done right it works just like anything else. You just have to be careful when you break the rules but if you know what your doing thats where creativity comes in.

Well, as I said, matter of personal opinion. It did of course happen, but.... ;) Quite agree re creativity - just so happens that to my eye it takes a longer line jacket to carry a top hat off. Your mileage may, naturally, vary. ;)

londonboy

Familiar Face
If the confusion regarding tux versus tails has been settled, I would like to point out that dapper bankers such as JP Morgan's partners strode down Wall Street in morning coat and derby. I have seen a photo with the senior in morning coat and top hat, surrounded by slightly less senior colleagues in derbies. If it sufficed for the Morgan retinue...

metropd

One Too Many
londonboy said:
If the confusion regarding tux versus tails has been settled, I would like to point out that dapper bankers such as JP Morgan's partners strode down Wall Street in morning coat and derby. I have seen a photo with the senior in morning coat and top hat, surrounded by slightly less senior colleagues in derbies. If it sufficed for the Morgan retinue...

Very true. I have also seen the french bourgeois in the 1920's wearing silk plush top hats with dinner suits (tuxedos) and it looked very good"when they did it". It all depends on how you do it. Unless the top is over 7 1/8 inches I do not think the height of the top hat looks to tall for the shortness of the jacket. Maybe because I'm 123 and 5 9" my lankiness may make the top hat not to tall for the lounge suit or dinner jacket. I was told once by a Brittish gent when wearing my top hat that he was "Suprised at how I could wear a tall top hat with a lounge suit and look so sharp". The point is you must know what the rules are so you can brake them with a sense of grace and panache. If you don't know what they are you won't know how to break them.;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:
The point is you must know what the rules are so you can brake them with a sense of grace and panache. If you don't know what they are you won't know how to break them.
Then again some rules just won't stand breaking. I suspect bowler-with-formals is one of those rules.

The bowler's heritage really is a sporting one - it was, after all, originally a kind of helmet. (And no, it was never meant for bowling. Bowler was the name of the designer.)

Topper

Vendor
Confused over the description of monkey suit,"tux with tails" A tuxedo does not have tails...

Anyway.

1) Run it past the bride an groom as it their day and make sure they are comfortable.

This next point i assume the wedding starts Post 6pm. Otherwise Morning Dress is applicable.

2) If it is Black Tie ( i.e. Black Dinner Jacket /Tuxedo) then wear a Black Trilbowler, or Homburg.
3) If it is White Tie ( i.e. Black Evening Taicoat), then Black Silk Plush Top Hat

If not "morning dress" tails and during the daytime, and one doesn't wish to go too formal, one may consider black/grey stripped trousers, black wasitcoat, and black jacket (not tails) then one could wear a Bowler....This gives a look of the working gentelman in the Style of "Captain Peacock" from Are you being served, or Sgt Wilson's when working at the Bank in Dad's army.

In the end up to the bride and groom, as their day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo