Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need input-bowler with tux?

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
Howdy folks,
I am in need of some sartorial input. I am to be an usher in a wedding soon and the uniform is full on monkey suit, i.e. tux with tails. I have not worn anything of the sort since my high school prom many moons ago. I am itching to get a hat for the occasion as nothing in my current stable would be appropriate. I believe that a top hat or hamburg would be most appropriate, but I am leaning toward a bowler. Is there any reason why I should avoid such a move?
I would welcome any input (or links to past threads) that would offer enlightenment or perspective on the subject.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There's really only one option.

18447786.jpg

Johnnysan

One Too Many
A top hat is certainly appropriate, but perhaps a bit over the top and fairly limited in range. I'd go for a homburg.

If memory serves me, a bowler is thought to be too informal for a tux, having been originally designed as an outdoor working hat for gameskeepers.

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
Nice picture. I do feel that a topper would be over the top (has a certain Austin Powers ring to it, eh), especially since I am but an usher. Besides, I would feel inclined to get a nifty cane as featured in that photo. I understand that back in the day the bowler was on the less formal end of the mentioned hats, but since we are in the 21st century and hats are so rarely worn, would anyone really notice, present company excluded?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This question has been kicked around here before. The general consensus is homburg. I just got one, and will be wearing it with my tux for the first time this weekend. I'll post pix.
But there is another school of thought that says a black fedora can be cool, as well. TCM just showed the original film of "Topper". In it Cary Grant (who, after all, was the man even the Duke of Windsor deferred to in such matters) wears a black fedora with his tux. He plays an ultra cool playboy type, so this is clearly what an ultra cool playboy type would wear.
I suppose the whole issue of head gear should be added to the ongoing discussion of whether a man needs his own tux.
Actually, a dark gray fedora would not really be horrible, if it's a nice one. Depends on your coat, if you wear one.
As far as the bowler is concerned, you run the risk of having some fat guy come up to you and say, "Another fine mess you've gotten me into!" ;)

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Byrne Sherwood said:
I understand that back in the day the bowler was on the less formal end of the mentioned hats, but since we are in the 21st century and hats are so rarely worn, would anyone really notice, present company excluded?

Possibly not, but the pragmatist in me still votes for the homburg. In my opinion, a bowler, like a top hat, is not very practical in terms of wearability. A homburg, on the other hand, is suitable for weddings, funerals, and any other event where you might want a bit more formality than a fedora offers. In that, it will provide you with more opportunities for wear than a bowler. Call me cheap, but I like to get the most bang for my buck.

I have an outstanding derby that I would never part with, but whenever I wear it, it always feels a bit "costumey." Conversely, my homburg always seems appropriate to the occasion whenever I put it into service.

Again, just one guy's opinion...;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dhermann1 said:
This question has been kicked around here before. The general consensus is homburg.
But wasn't that discussion about Black Tie? This is White Tie.

Seriously though, I wouldn't wear a hat unless the rest of the gents in the wedding party were doing so as well. It would draw attention and you wouldn't want to steal the spotlight from the bride.;)

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
If you are talking about white tie with a tailcoat, the only correct option is a black top hat.

If you are talking about black tie with a tuxedo, you can wear either a.) a straw boater with a solid black band, b.) a black homburg, or c.) a black fedora.

You should never wear a bowler with either a tailcoat or a tuxedo. A bowler hat is only properly worn during the daytime, and thus is inappropriate with any sort of eveningwear.

Vladimir Berkov said:
If you are talking about white tie with a tailcoat, the only correct option is a black top hat.

If you are talking about black tie with a tuxedo, you can wear either a.) a straw boater with a solid black band, b.) a black homburg, or c.) a black fedora.

You should never wear a bowler with either a tailcoat or a tuxedo. A bowler hat is only properly worn during the daytime, and thus is inappropriate with any sort of eveningwear.

Mr. Vladimir is correct. If we're talking tails then anything besides a top hat would be... odd (read as WRONG! ABOMINATION!) :p ).

Homburgs are okay for a dinner suit (and a coat), but with full white tie? I don't think so.

Bowlers? Definitely not! (esp. with white tie!) With a normal dinner suit it just looks silly (believe me, I know. Whilst standing in front of the mirror in that get up I almost struck myself for upsetting my own sensibilities! Bah! Humbug! ;P)

I also second what Tomasso said. If you are the only one wearing the hat, it would be somewhat inappropriate. All the other men must wear hats too, one odd guy with a top hat would draw too much attention away from those on which it should be fixated. (If all the ushers, best men etc., wore a top hat and the groom didn't, I don't think that it would be so bad.)

Perhaps you could convince the others to go the full enchilada too? Make this wedding something different? (At what time of day, by the way, will you be required to suit up?)

Well, just my 2 (utterly, utterly worthless) Satang ;)

Edward

Bartender
As the gentlemen who have commented in the three posts above have said, if you are wearing tails then the only correct hat is a top hat. Very few wedding parties (whether in morning or evening tails) bother with hats at all these days - general lack of hats in society, a misplaced, nonsensical view that they will look silly, plus the fact that they spend most if not virtually all of the day inside means that few are inclined to pay the additional fee to rent the hat. Your options seem to be threefold to me:

1] No hat

2] Top hat - the only one wearing a hat

3] convinced the groom (or, more to the point, the bride ;) ) that all the boys should be in hats.

My preference would be 3.... :)

If you are wearing black tie (regular tux) do not under any circumstances wear a top hat. You will at best look like you are trying to be noticed / the big man/ the funniest guy there on the day. The preferred option here would be a black homberg, IMO, though a black fedora can look very sharp also.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't wear "grey tie" (black bow tie & waistcoat with tails) - you will look like a waiter. I guess that's not your choice, though (believe me, I've suffered the indignity of a pre-tied cravat at weddings before now...).

whatever- have fun! :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I didn't see the bit about tails. Tux doesn't have tails! If it's a daytime wedding. i.e. before 4PM, then a morning suit is correct, with black tail coat and gray striped trousers, a gray vest and cravat. If they're wearing full black tail coat/white tie in the day time, then they're going "non conventional" and all bets are off.
Maybe we need further clarification. However I believe a morning suit would still be worn with a homburg. Anyone know for sure out there?

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Howdy folks,

Byrne, since you're going to be at a formal occasion, I'd say that the formal rules are the ones you ought to follow. Vladimir Berkov has nailed them.

We do live in the Dark Ages of Hats. So I feel like Edward and a couple of other posters have got a critical insight that somewhat softens the formal rules: If no one else in the wedding party will be wearing hats with their tuxes, even the most ideally proper hat will tend to upstage the bride. That'd be worse, in my opinion, than wearing a formally incorrect hat.

In any event, bowlers/derbies are OUT.

If you do decide to get a top hat, remember that only some of them are collapsible. So don't try crushing the hat unless you're sure that the metal mechanism is really there!

Cheers,
Mark

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
When we married, I was in formal evening dress and top-hat. The rabbi was wearing a gehrock and a homburg rather than a top-hat. He later explained he hadn't been sure about my choice of hat and didn't want to outdress the bridegroom, which I found uncommonly considerate and amicable.

My personal preference is always with the beaver or silk top hat, I assume you are asking what to wear when out of doors or traveling to and/or from the destination from which you are to perform your ushering duties. If you are ushering inside, then no hat is appropriate. Probably the best course of action would be to determine the preference of the couple to be wed. Additionally, if there is to be more than one usher, perhaps coordinate with the others to ensure uniformity.

Edward

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
However I believe a morning suit would still be worn with a homburg. Anyone know for sure out there?

Top hat with tails, whether evening or morning (swallow) coat (or, for that matter, frock coat). A homberg would pair nicely with the stroller as the pre-6pm equivalent of black tie - as would a bowler. I think a fedora would look a little out of place there (not so much as a top hat, but...). Purely a personal opinion, but I've see folks ignoring the traditional guidelines and wearing a top hat without tails; with a stroller / regular lounge suit jackt, it looks clownish.

animator

One of the Regulars
This discussion is interesting, but if you are in a wedding your job is to wear what the couple being married tells you to wear, not improvise. There is a reason they dress the gents at a wedding the same. Tomasso is completely right.

Don't wear a hat unless all the men in the wedding are wearing the same hat specified by the wedding couple. Anything else would be terribly rude.

I do love top hats, though. Outside of your duties of being in the wedding, if you are wearing a tux, tails or not, and you want to wear a top hat I think that is great!

I got a silk top hat when I was 12 and it doesn't fit anymore. Then I got a tux with tails for prom when I was 18 and that won't fit either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo