Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Some Knox Fedora Info

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
I want to buy a Knox Twenty fedora and I want to know what the qualities of an early 50s one is. Everything from tags to liner etc. I don't know too much about Knox hats. And it would be nice if you can give me links to pictures as well.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's anywhere from mid-1950s to mid-1960s, and probably circa-1960.

Brown oval size tags and gold size tags are indicators of '50s and '60s hats. To guarantee that it's an early-1950s hat it should have an OPS label from the Korean War era. That's about the only way to make sure it's that early. See my Dobbs Dating Guide for OPS labels. Factory labels across all of Hat Corporation of America's lines were standardized, so the Dobbs Dating Guide will also work for Knox hats regarding labels.

Check out this thread for Knox hats. Most of the ones on the first page are from the 1950s. 2 ¼" brims and crowns around 5 ½" are very common on Knox hats during that period, so it shouldn't be hard to find one unless you're a larger size.

Brad

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer

Brown oval size tags and gold size tags are indicators of '50s and '60s hats. To guarantee that it's an early-1950s hat it should have an OPS label from the Korean War era. That's about the only way to make sure it's that early. See my Dobbs Dating Guide for OPS labels. Factory labels across all of Hat Corporation of America's lines were standardized, so the Dobbs Dating Guide will also work for Knox hats regarding labels.

Check out this thread for Knox hats. Most of the ones on the first page are from the 1950s. 2 ¼" brims and crowns around 5 ½" are very common on Knox hats during that period, so it shouldn't be hard to find one unless you're a larger size.

Brad

Hey thanks a bunch ;)

facade

A-List Customer

Brad

Unlike a Beacon or Roxford...

Knox Beacon.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Cool Beacon. Too early for any of what I said to apply. Knox wasn't merged with C&K to form Hat Corp. until 1932, and labels didn't start to get standardized really until the 1940s. 1960s Roxfords will use the standardized labels.

Brad

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer

Brad

One more thing, I found a Knox hat with a very dark yellow oil skin over the logo in the tip of the hat. Isn't that an indicator of an early 50's hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy