Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need suggestions on breakfast in L.A.

zeus36

A-List Customer
My gal's coming in to LAX Friday (tomorrow) morning early; she wants to kick around the town for a bit and I'd like to take her to a nice breakfast place with some atmosphere. Any suggestions?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Here are my suggestions:

Musso & Frank Grill
6667 Hollywood Blvd

Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Tues.-Sat.
You're in Raymond Chandler territory at Musso's. A Hollywood landmark since 1919, this place has the clubby look and feel to which newcomers like The Grill aspire. If nothing else, come for a Manhattan at the bar. When dining, expect brusque service and such old-fashioned favorites as grilled steaks and chops, beef stroganoff, sauerbraten, chicken pot pie, short ribs and cannelloni, or try the seafood 'chiffonade' salad full of shrimp and other delights from the sea. All made the old-fashioned way; there are no microwaves in the restaurant. The all-day breakfast menu includes omelets and pancakes, called flannel cakes (only served until 3 PM). You haven't been to Hollywood if you haven't been to Musso's -- a superstitious rite of passage for aspiring actors.

Paty's
10001 Riverside Dr.
Toluca Lake, CA

Near NBC, Warner Bros., and the Disney Studio, this homey coffee shop is a reliable, affordable place - ideal if you're hungry after a studio tour. Breakfasts include plump omelets and homemade biscuits served with thick jam. For lunch or dinner there are hearty, comforting dishes such as Swiss steak, roast turkey, or beef stew served in a hollowed-out loaf of home-baked bread. A standout dessert is New Orleans bread pudding with hot brandy sauce. If you're in a hurry, call ahead with your order and the restaurant will deliver directly to your car. Reservations not accepted. AE, DC, MC, V.

Promenade Cafe aboard the Queen Mary
1126 Queens Highway
Long Beach, CA

http://www.queenmary.com/dining.php?page=promenade_menu
Food is pretty good. The main thing is the ship. You can't beat that.

The Pantry
877 S. Figueroa St
Downtown LA

The Original Pantry has been open 24 hours since 1924. It is conveniently located in downtown Los Angeles near city hall the convention center and the Staples Center. The ambiance of the restaurant reminds you of the 1940's with the Formica tables and the old city photos hanging on the walls. Since ex-Mayor Richard Riordan purchased The Original Pantry it has become the place for city politicians to meet for power breakfast meetings before going to work at city hall.
The Pantry is most popular for breakfast where the portions are generous and filling. The orange juice is freshly squeezed and coffee or tea comes with the breakfast. The pancakes are plate size so come hungry. There are many steak choices for breakfast and dinner and the cut is thick. The cut of steak isn't prime grade but put some of the house steak sauce on it and you'll never notice. There is plenty of American comfort food including stacks of hot cakes, omelets of all kinds and home fries. Everyone raves about the sourdough bread so be sure to make that part of your order.

Lunch and dinner entrees aren't the forte at The Pantry. The salads can be wilted and the side vegetables watery and overcooked. Stick to ordering steaks or pork chops. There is free coleslaw and sourdough bread as soon as you sit down.

The Pantry is near the Staples Center so a perfect place to go late night after a Laker's game. The parking lot across the street is $1 with validation from cashier.

Enjoy!

zeus36

A-List Customer
MK, Thanks for the suggestions,

looks like we'll try----- The Pantry.... :)

Already took her to Sir Winstons on the QM last visit. (after a long tour of the ship). I made some bonus points that evening!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
One more...

I'm going to add one more to the list. When I'm in LA I like the breakfasts at Swingers Diner in the Beverly Laurel Motel at 8018 Beverly Blvd (at Laurel).

I like swilling cocktails at Musso Franks :cheers1:

zeus36

A-List Customer
Sorry, MK

The place (Pantry) was rather forgettable... noisy, crowded and the waiter did not speak English other than the simple menu. Food tasted like re-heated leftovers and the sausage reminded me of McDonalds. Over-cooked meats and undercooked eggs (even though I ordered over medium). I’m a tea drinker and the guy brought us two coffees (guess that is the norm). We were squeezed in between two big trucker-looking fellows, one was nice, the other kept backing into us. She thought the place smelled like an old person's closet.
We were hungry so we finished the hash browns and cashed out. Took her up to Universal Studios for a few hours after that.
That night we had a great dinner at Old Vienna in Ventura and
on the return trip to LAX we hit the 50's Cafe in Marina Del Rey on Lincoln. (One of our favorites)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I was worried a bit on that one because it has been at least a decade since I was last there. It IS a place Marlowe would eat, but I shouldn't have suggested you take a girl there. Paty's would have been the best bet to take a lady. Sorry about that.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Campanile

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
I would have recommended Campanile.
Very good breakfast, choice of indoor and
out, and a real FL setting- Charlie Chaplin's
old studio.

Great bakery next door, too.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I am not familiar with that one. Charlie's studio was on La brea south of Sunset Blvd. It became A&M records then Henson Productions.

HensonStudios(small).JPG

Where is Campanile?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff