Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 1940's Museum.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Well, It’s now official, My friend and I are going to open up a WWII /1940’s home front museum in the Township of Laugharne, South Wales.:)

The location is Andrew’s fathers old garage, that was built in 1933. A large % of the displays will be dedicated to the US Army Forces that were based in and around the South Coast of Wales during WWII. It’s not common knowledge, but thousand s of GI’s were trained on the beaches of Wales before moving to the South and East coast of the UK prior to the D-Day Landings.

The project has only just started , and the building etc. needs a bit of work, but the intention is to open before the summer months. Of course All FL members are very much welcome and we would especially like to hear from anyone who may have had relatives stationed in South Wales during WWII. The main divisions around Carmarthenshire would have been the 28th Inf Div and the 2nd Inf Div.

Land Speed record fans should note that Pendine sands is just a few miles away…Maybe we could have a vintage Hot-Rod meet some day. Would be nice!:cheers1:

Anyhow..wish us luck… I’m sure it will be well worth it in the end.

Some pics to wet your appetite…

144-1.jpg

The Town..

044-1.jpg

The Castle…

052.jpg

The jailhouse.

042-2.jpg

And for those of you who love poetry….Dylan Thomas (Who is buried 200yards from the museum) Wrote “Under Milk Wood” here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOM3J5SzK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7N5ODlswiE

And my favourite!…Richard Burton’s version…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPO2Kvqlms

Eyemo

Practically Family
Things are moving on nicley.....Just had a very nice letter of support from Weider History Group...

Looking to have an event on the 7th and 8th of August..All FL's welcome!

Eyemo

Practically Family
It's been a bit Busy at the Museum....Here we are with the British TV Celeb Bill Turnbull.(Centre)..

006-4.jpg

and this is why I've not been busy on the forum for a couple of weeks.....

our 1930's/40's Tin shed build....

113.jpg

:)

Eyemo

Practically Family
Our most recent display....a GI of the 28th Inf.Div surrenders to Germans at the Battle of the Bulge.

28th Infantry Div GI's were based in South Wales during 1943-44 for training prior to D-Day and the invasion of Europe...They suffered a particularly hard time in Belgium and Luxemburg

0262.jpg

Eyemo

Practically Family
Just an update:- Things are moving along well.... We recently had a grant by the Welsh assembly given to us so it means we can upgrade the building without loosing any of it's caricature....

Thanks again for all your support and comments!!!..means a lot...

Eyemo

Practically Family
Just this morning had an unexpected letter of support from the House of Commons, London, supporting our Museum in Laugharne...which was very nice!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24