Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero 30s halfbelt from Thurston

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Here are some pics of my recently arrived 30s half belt. It was a fit jacket from Thurston Bros I decided to keep rather than opting for the 20s Work
Coat. It's a size 42 with some added length. I have a little under a 40 chest and this has the extra room I like without compromising on the look.

The pics illustrate what the seal Vicenza leather looks like in various degrees of sunlight. It's definitely one of those leathers whose appearance changes depending on the amount of light hitting it. Still getting used to the jacket and looking over the details. Thanks Carrie and Wade, and to Tori/Toni who made the jacket at Aero. This is twice I haven't been able to read the name on the tag!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lovely tartan:
image.jpeg

Full-on sun:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some shade, some ill-fitting jeans:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well done Nick. I am very partial to both the 1930's HB design and the seal Vicenza, best of both worlds. Congratulations! :cool:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I look less than enthusiastic in my pics, but that's because I can't stand using the phone's auto timer! I find myself leaning it against odd objects to snap a photo.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Great job Nick! Glad this one works for you, hope the break-in is fairly easy. My Steerhide is nicely broken in at this point, the FQHH is going to be a longer process. I continue to be amazed how flexible and suitable the 30's HB design really is! I also really like your taran lining as well as the contrasting stitching! :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Very easy jacket to wear. May be the most comfortable jacket I've ever worn, including the goats I've tried. Surprised the tartan is so smooth and easy going. When hearing the word "wool" I couldn't help but equate it with being scratchy, but this stuff is the bee's knees. Not even remotely warm; great for this CA climate. I can see the 30s half belt being really versatile. I could have theoretically sized down and gotten away with it. But the design of this one's nice because it doesn't have quite the "box" profile I've seen on the Highwayman, and this allows for a little upsize leverage. I'd totally order another one of these in a different hide. Carrie threw in some leather samples; you guys should do russet goat. The business.

Here are some pics of my recently arrived 30s half belt. It was a fit jacket from Thurston Bros I decided to keep rather than opting for the 20s Work
Coat. It's a size 42 with some added length. I have a little under a 40 chest and this has the extra room I like without compromising on the look.

The pics illustrate what the seal Vicenza leather looks like in various degrees of sunlight. It's definitely one of those leathers whose appearance changes depending on the amount of light hitting it. Still getting used to the jacket and looking over the details. Thanks Carrie and Wade, and to Tori/Toni who made the jacket at Aero. This is twice I haven't been able to read the name on the tag!
View attachment 49641
View attachment 49642
Lovely tartan:
View attachment 49649
Full-on sun:
View attachment 49643
View attachment 49644
Some shade, some ill-fitting jeans:
View attachment 49645
View attachment 49648
Absolutely FANTASTIC Nick....perfect fit, beautiful jacket...just a total score for you. Well done indeed!!!!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Nick, very nice jacket.

Your grin speaks volumes of your happiness with it, which is why I very hesitantly post this- please trust my comments are in good faith and earnest.

But are you sure about the length? To me, it looks a little long considering it's a zip front without the 2-2.5" extra length beyond the zipper box. Do you have to unzip it to wear comfortably sitting down? If so, I would personally opt for the MTO version just slightly shorter or with a gap at the base of the zipper. (That was the issue with a Plainsman I owned briefly- it bunched up when I sat down and drove me bonkers. If I were to do it from scratch, I'd have it made so the zipper box fell right at the base of my belt line and no further below).

Just thinking now's the time to get it 110% perfect. And if it were me, I'd opt for it a bit shorter or a space at the base of the zipper. If this checks every box for you; then you know your answer. If not, send that thing back and tweak that thing to absolute perfection ;)

Peace

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick, very nice jacket.

Your grin speaks volumes of your happiness with it, which is why I very hesitantly post this- please trust my comments are in good faith and earnest.

But are you sure about the length? To me, it looks a little long considering it's a zip front without the 2-2.5" extra length beyond the zipper box. Do you have to unzip it to wear comfortably sitting down? If so, I would personally opt for the MTO version just slightly shorter or with a gap at the base of the zipper. (That was the issue with a Plainsman I owned briefly- it bunched up when I sat down and drove me bonkers. If I were to do it from scratch, I'd have it made so the zipper box fell right at the base of my belt line and no further below).

Just thinking now's the time to get it 110% perfect. And if it were me, I'd opt for it a bit shorter or a space at the base of the zipper. If this checks every box for you; then you know your answer. If not, send that thing back and tweak that thing to absolute perfection ;)

Peace

Arguably a little long when hyper-examining it, yes. But it's very comfortable and just "feels" right. Thanks for your honesty, I know that ain't easy. But I'm truly happy with it. The real "sit test" will be found when I wear it to school and sit in that already uncomfortable desk. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112