1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

New Aero 30s halfbelt from Thurston

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by nick123, May 13, 2016.

1. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Here are some pics of my recently arrived 30s half belt. It was a fit jacket from Thurston Bros I decided to keep rather than opting for the 20s Work
    Coat. It's a size 42 with some added length. I have a little under a 40 chest and this has the extra room I like without compromising on the look.

The pics illustrate what the seal Vicenza leather looks like in various degrees of sunlight. It's definitely one of those leathers whose appearance changes depending on the amount of light hitting it. Still getting used to the jacket and looking over the details. Thanks Carrie and Wade, and to Tori/Toni who made the jacket at Aero. This is twice I haven't been able to read the name on the tag!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Lovely tartan:
    image.jpeg
    Full-on sun:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Some shade, some ill-fitting jeans:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    2wheelgrplr, tblay, Edward and 10 others like this.
  2. Jägernaut

Jägernaut A-List Customer

Damn, that looks good. Well done.I dont think I would have been able to send that one back.

nick123 likes this.
  3. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Well done Nick. I am very partial to both the 1930's HB design and the seal Vicenza, best of both worlds. Congratulations! :cool:

nick123 likes this.
  4. kronos77

kronos77 One of the Regulars

As long as you are happy with the fit jacket, it is worth keeping it. You avoid the stress and worry of the two month wait.

nick123 likes this.
  5. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

I look less than enthusiastic in my pics, but that's because I can't stand using the phone's auto timer! I find myself leaning it against odd objects to snap a photo.

6. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Very nice Nick!
    That contrasting stitching adds pizzaz :)

nick123 likes this.
  7. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 One Too Many

Great job Nick! Glad this one works for you, hope the break-in is fairly easy. My Steerhide is nicely broken in at this point, the FQHH is going to be a longer process. I continue to be amazed how flexible and suitable the 30's HB design really is! I also really like your taran lining as well as the contrasting stitching! :)

nick123 likes this.
  8. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Very easy jacket to wear. May be the most comfortable jacket I've ever worn, including the goats I've tried. Surprised the tartan is so smooth and easy going. When hearing the word "wool" I couldn't help but equate it with being scratchy, but this stuff is the bee's knees. Not even remotely warm; great for this CA climate. I can see the 30s half belt being really versatile. I could have theoretically sized down and gotten away with it. But the design of this one's nice because it doesn't have quite the "box" profile I've seen on the Highwayman, and this allows for a little upsize leverage. I'd totally order another one of these in a different hide. Carrie threw in some leather samples; you guys should do russet goat. The business.

9. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks good Nick . . . congrats.

nick123 likes this.
  10. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks great but I really was looking forward to seeing that Natural Vicenza Work Coat...

nick123 likes this.
  11. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

That looks really great on you, Man. Good work. I love how the leather drapes. It's just gonna look better every day.

nick123 likes this.
  12. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's what I was thinking: it looks great now, but wait till it gets broken in. Nice choice.

nick123 likes this.
  13. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Absolutely FANTASTIC Nick....perfect fit, beautiful jacket...just a total score for you. Well done indeed!!!!

nick123 likes this.
  14. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Great fitting jacket, congratulations! I love the loser fit, big fan of wider jackets myself. I usually oversize by atleast one size. :D

nick123 likes this.
  15. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

That's a sharp jacket, Nick! The fit is bang-on and the colour's really nice.
    Classic!

nick123 likes this.
  16. bretron

bretron Call Me a Cab

Nick, very nice jacket.

Your grin speaks volumes of your happiness with it, which is why I very hesitantly post this- please trust my comments are in good faith and earnest.

But are you sure about the length? To me, it looks a little long considering it's a zip front without the 2-2.5" extra length beyond the zipper box. Do you have to unzip it to wear comfortably sitting down? If so, I would personally opt for the MTO version just slightly shorter or with a gap at the base of the zipper. (That was the issue with a Plainsman I owned briefly- it bunched up when I sat down and drove me bonkers. If I were to do it from scratch, I'd have it made so the zipper box fell right at the base of my belt line and no further below).

Just thinking now's the time to get it 110% perfect. And if it were me, I'd opt for it a bit shorter or a space at the base of the zipper. If this checks every box for you; then you know your answer. If not, send that thing back and tweak that thing to absolute perfection ;)

Peace

nick123 likes this.
  17. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Arguably a little long when hyper-examining it, yes. But it's very comfortable and just "feels" right. Thanks for your honesty, I know that ain't easy. But I'm truly happy with it. The real "sit test" will be found when I wear it to school and sit in that already uncomfortable desk. :/

bretron likes this.
  18. Harris HTM

Harris HTM Practically Family

Nice zipper. Is this the deadstock talon?

nick123 likes this.
  19. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

It's a Waldes. I can't tell you much about it other than it is nice.

20. Harris HTM

Harris HTM Practically Family

Does it work well? I didn't know you could order something different than talon with Aero. Looks really good!

nick123 likes this.