Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero 30s halfbelt from Thurston

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Arguably a little long when hyper-examining it, yes. But it's very comfortable and just "feels" right. Thanks for your honesty, I know that ain't easy. But I'm truly happy with it.

Cheers brother. Or perhaps it was just me selfishly wanting you to get the natural Vincenza and a bit smaller for the day you decide to sell and then I swoop it up :D:D:D

Harris HTM

One Too Many
That's one of my favorite models. What leather/knits did you opt for?

Black Vicenza. Two weeks ago i was in galashiels and I tried on many jackets. I was looking for a A2-like jacket but I prefer the handwarmers, I usually keep my hands in the jacket pockets while walking. I also wanted a trim fit so I chose a size 36, tapered to a size 38 in the waist (to accommodate my beer belly). My 30's HB is size 40 and has some room for layering. Regarding colour and hide: my only black jackets are my perfecto's so I "needed" a black jacket that I could wear also in more "formal" situations. And since this will be a spring/summer jacket I got me a lightweight leather, at least lighter than the FQHH.

I didn't want to post nothing right away... Super made a thread recently about this sort of thing, whether we should voice our concerned about someone's jacket or keep quiet, and I told myself then I'll make sure to be honest about it. It's what this place is here for. Otherwise I'd ask my girlfriend if the jacket is good and she'd say perfect just to get me off her back and happiness ensues.
So yeah, I could have easily hopped on the perfect bandwagon, and I wouldn't be in the wrong because there's nothing wrong with your jacket or the fit, and if you're happy with it, man, I'm even happier than you are - but I with Bretron on this one.
If I remember correctly, initially you were super happy with the HWM, which also received only praise from other members, but as the thread progressed you came to accept it might be a tad too large. Again, I didn't think it was, HWM is a boxy cut, blah blah... Once mine arrived I was convinced it's great but as time went by, gradually I realized I'm becoming less and less eager to wear it. I tried telling myself it's good with some layering but we all know that's just not how it goes... I've never had such doubts with the Model A Chris here sent me for an exchange. It's a perfectly fitting jacket.

Well anyway, to cut this short, I personally believe it's a size too large and an inch or two too long.

I've had one. One of the best damn jackets I've seen and the only jacket from Aero that literally had me floored. That's not to say their other jackets were inferior in any way, just this HB... For some reason, it was just what I had always hoped for I'd feel when I open that box. It was just... Wow. It's what premium priced jacket should look like. Perfection.

But I also knew it's too big for me to keep it.

This is not a bad fitting jacket. As a matter of fact, proportions are dead on perfect. I know that. But I'm 40-42, this was a 44. If I had a choice, I would've exchanged it for the exact same jacket, same length, sleeves, etc. just in 42. 'cause I knew it would bother me more and more.

So yeah. Your HB is good, but I feel it could be better. 30's HB is a slim fitting jacket. Yours is a bit baggy. Not unlike that HWM.

Again, if you feel this is the one, fantastic. :D But, since you're not stuck with it and still have all the options available... What Bretron said, just make sure it's exactly what you imagine a $1000+ jacket should be.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I didn't want to post nothing right away... Super made a thread recently about this sort of thing, whether we should voice our concerned about someone's jacket or keep quiet, and I told myself then I'll make sure to be honest about it. It's what this place is here for. Otherwise I'd ask my girlfriend if the jacket is good and she'd say perfect just to get me off her back and happiness ensues.
So yeah, I could have easily hopped on the perfect bandwagon, and I wouldn't be in the wrong because there's nothing wrong with your jacket or the fit, and if you're happy with it, man, I'm even happier than you are - but I with Bretron on this one.
If I remember correctly, initially you were super happy with the HWM, which also received only praise from other members, but as the thread progressed you came to accept it might be a tad too large. Again, I didn't think it was, HWM is a boxy cut, blah blah... Once it arrived I was convinced it's great but as time went by, gradually I realized I'm becoming less and less eager to wear it. I tried telling myself it's good with some layering but we all know that's just not how it goes... I've never had such doubts with the Model A Chris here sent me for an exchange. It's a perfectly fitting jacket.

Well anyway, to cut this short, I personally believe it's a size too large and an inch or two too long.

I've had one. One of the best damn jackets I've seen and the only jacket from Aero that literally had me floored. That's not to say their other jackets were inferior in any way, just this HB... For some reason, it was just what I had always hoped for I'd feel when I open that box. It was just... Wow. It's what premium priced jacket should look like. Perfection.

This is not a bad fitting jacket. As a matter of fact, proportions are dead on perfect. I know that. But I'm 40-42, this was a 44. If I had a choice, I would've exchanged it for the exact same jacket, same length, sleeves, etc. just in 42. 'cause I knew it would bother me more and more.

So yeah. Your HB is good, but I feel it could be better. 30's HB is a slim fitting jacket. Yours is a bit baggy. Not unlike that HWM.

Again, if you feel this is the one, fantastic. :D But, since you're not stuck with it and still have all the options available... What Bretron said, just make sure it's exactly what you imagine a $1000+ jacket should be.

I'm stoked with the fit on this one. It's hard to explain, but it just works for me. I like my jackets on the bigger side, which I know is a bit in the minority. I wouldn't change a thing. I appreciate your honesty likewise. Wth, yours looked good!

I'm stoked with the fit on this one. It's hard to explain, but it just works for me. I like my jackets on the bigger side, which I know is a bit in the minority. I wouldn't change a thing. I appreciate your honesty likewise. Wth, yours looked good!

Well then Nick, congratulations are in order! :D

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So nice you kept the fit jacket and don't have to wait for 2 months. Last week i put an order for a happy days and I have already started counting days!
I'm also looking forward to seeing your jacket because I'm thinking of getting one and there are so few photos of them anywhere. Every time I think of it I see the Fonz going "Ayyyy," but it really is a very cool-looking jacket. Good luck with the order.

I'm also looking forward to seeing your jacket because I'm thinking of getting one and there are so few photos of them anywhere. Every time I think of it I see the Fonz going "Ayyyy," but it really is a very cool-looking jacket. Good luck with the order.
I've never even heard of that one!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sweet jacket Nick and a great fit. As some old medieval fogey said in some old movie, "You have chosen wisely."

technovox

One Too Many
If I remember correctly, initially you were super happy with the HWM, which also received only praise from other members, but as the thread progressed you came to accept it might be a tad too large.

Nick- Likewise, my first impression when I saw your fit pics was that the jacket was a tad too big in the mid-section and long… and at the very least the side buckles needed to be tightened. Out of the box, I know how easy it is to get seduced by immediate gratification and that seductive smell of new horsehide leather. But if you truly like your jackets on the bigger side, then you’ve got an ideal match. And it also gives you the option of layering up a bit. That lining and contrast stitching really works with the seal Vicenza palette. This jacket is going to age beautifully. Enjoy!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick- Likewise, my first impression when I saw your fit pics was that the jacket was a tad too big in the mid-section and long… and at the very least the side buckles needed to be tightened. Out of the box, I know how easy it is to get seduced by immediate gratification and that seductive smell of new horsehide leather. But if you truly like your jackets on the bigger side, then you’ve got an ideal match. And it also gives you the option of layering up a bit. That lining and contrast stitching really works with the seal Vicenza palette. This jacket is going to age beautifully. Enjoy!

I appreciate everyone's comments, and the honesty is much appreciated!

Here's the thing. If I step out of my body for a moment and look at the fit of the jacket without bias, I can completely see the "inch less in the front/size down" rationale. For an optimal fit, going by fit alone, I actually agree.
The thing is, at an emotional level, nothing about the fit of the jacket bugs me or even makes me want to send her back! I find satisfaction in having my jackets be little on the large side. It's what ticks my internal buttons. There is a bit of compromise between having that room versus a bang-on fit. But I much prefer being in the camp of the former. I could theoretically pul the side straps in, but I like the loose feeling, like my...coffee. ;)The first thing I did was look at it from the side. No jetting out like my Highwayman, so I'm happy.

Thanks all. :) It's a keeper until I wake up one morning, decide to give everything to the Red Cross, and permanently move to Tibet.

Harris HTM

One Too Many

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to receiving the jacket, I will keep you posted.

I appreciate everyone's comments, and the honesty is much appreciated!

Here's the thing. If I step out of my body for a moment and look at the fit of the jacket without bias, I can completely see the "inch less in the front/size down" rationale. For an optimal fit, going by fit alone, I actually agree.
The thing is, at an emotional level, nothing about the fit of the jacket bugs me or even makes me want to send her back! I find satisfaction in having my jackets be little on the large side. It's what ticks my internal buttons. There is a bit of compromise between having that room versus a bang-on fit. But I much prefer being in the camp of the former. I could theoretically pul the side straps in, but I like the loose feeling, like my...coffee. ;)The first thing I did was look at it from the side. No jetting out like my Highwayman, so I'm happy.

Thanks all. :) It's a keeper until I wake up one morning, decide to give everything to the Red Cross, and permanently move to Tibet.
I don't think this jacket looks too long or big on you in anyway Nick. There's no bunched up leather or anything to my eye that would suggest it's too large. The length looks very good to me as well. Even without layers the jacket still has a nice, slim silhouette. This jacket and the Lesco cafe racer you have, in my opinion, are very flattering to your physique and look perfect on you!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If I remember correctly, initially you were super happy with the HWM, which also received only praise from other members, but as the thread progressed you came to accept it might be a tad too large. Again, I didn't think it was, HWM is a boxy cut, blah blah... Once mine arrived I was convinced it's great but as time went by, gradually I realized I'm becoming less and less eager to wear it. I tried telling myself it's good with some layering but we all know that's just not how it goes... I've never had such doubts with the Model A Chris here sent me for an exchange. It's a perfectly fitting jacket.

Damnit Ivan. I'm upset you got rid of this. Check out the Thurston insta btw. :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I don't think this jacket looks too long or big on you in anyway Nick. There's no bunched up leather or anything to my eye that would suggest it's too large. The length looks very good to me as well. Even without layers the jacket still has a nice, slim silhouette. This jacket and the Lesco cafe racer you have, in my opinion, are very flattering to your physique and look perfect on you!

Yeah, that Lesco is happening. Those budget cafe racers are a good alternative to anything really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR