Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero 59'er HWM

Mark

Practically Family
Recieved my new 59'er HWM last week. Opted for the standard soft grainy steerhide (only available in black and selected lighter hides) and the wild card lining. I am very pleased with the quality and craftmanship (womanship in this case as Amy put it together). It really is faultless in it's construction. I actually traded in my previous HWM in FQHH against the new jacket (twice I have done this now!!) as I found the heavy horse just too much, beautiful to look at but a pain to wear. The 59'er is a dream to wear, lighter and way more flexible.
There was a "miscommunication" with the back length which resulted in the jacket being an inch or so shorter than anticipated. However, as this style is meant to be shorter than the standard HWM it is ok, I can deal with it. In fact it looks to my eye as it should. Hem line just covers my belt (if I hoist up my jeans a tad:rolleyes:). Arm length is spot on.

Forgive the mug shot, sure I used to be better looking than this back in the day!;)

DSCF0873.JPG DSCF0871.JPG
DSCF0872.JPG

Edward

Bartender
Looks good. It sounds like this is the same mid-weight steer as my standard HWM (I've also had another jacket in this hide). Same thickness as FQHH, but a much softer drape; to the hand it feels similar to the steer of my Schott 618, but nicer, somehow (not sure of the differences in tanning). Plenty robust, but softer than the horse. I love the FQHH in my earlier, American style jackets, but for the HWM, and this style of British jacket (replicating an original Rivetts of London Highwayman brand jacket from 1959)from the same period - similar, but slightly less boxy - this midweight steer has the perfect drape imo. Mine has also aged really nicely: broken in well, but stayed black all over as I prefer in black leather. This is a hide I would certainly consider getting again. In particular, it's much closer to the look and feel of the Highwayman jackets I've handled from this period (and the Lewis equivalents - slightly later, as Lewis didn't bring their straightzip / shirt collar jackets to market until 1962) than a hide like FQHH.

Mark

Practically Family
Thank You. yes it feels lovely to the touch and the fit is certainly less boxier than the regular HWM. A much nicer hide for this jacket I think. Aero says it closely resembles the much loved Conolly hide. You clearly know your stuff and good to know the black retains it's "blackness" over time (unlike my Simonds Bilt black biker jacket that has faded grey on both arms!). thanks again.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Very nice!

One inch more in body wouldn’t hurt, but it’s fine as it is as well. A bit more RocknRoll, and you’ve got the looks to rock it.

Mark

Practically Family
Very nice!

One inch more in body wouldn’t hurt, but it’s fine as it is as well. A bit more RocknRoll, and you’ve got the looks to rock it.
Thanks. Yes just a tad short but kinda looks ok as is. It is meant to be an inch shorter than the regular HWM according to Aero.

barnabus

One Too Many
Recieved my new 59'er HWM last week. Opted for the standard soft grainy steerhide (only available in black and selected lighter hides) and the wild card lining. I am very pleased with the quality and craftmanship (womanship in this case as Amy put it together). It really is faultless in it's construction. I actually traded in my previous HWM in FQHH against the new jacket (twice I have done this now!!) as I found the heavy horse just too much, beautiful to look at but a pain to wear. The 59'er is a dream to wear, lighter and way more flexible.
There was a "miscommunication" with the back length which resulted in the jacket being an inch or so shorter than anticipated. However, as this style is meant to be shorter than the standard HWM it is ok, I can deal with it. In fact it looks to my eye as it should. Hem line just covers my belt (if I hoist up my jeans a tad:rolleyes:). Arm length is spot on.

Forgive the mug shot, sure I used to be better looking than this back in the day!;)

View attachment 488950 View attachment 488952
View attachment 488949

I think it looks superb!

The length looks perfect to my eye, and it fits you brilliantly.

Also, I don't recall seeing your face before. I have to say you are very much cooler than the Mainwaring I've always pictured!

Mark

Practically Family
I think it looks superb!

The length looks perfect to my eye, and it fits you brilliantly.

Also, I don't recall seeing your face before. I have to say you are very much cooler than the Mainwaring I've always pictured!
Well thank you Sir. I used to post here quite a bit but stopped for a long time due to always saying the wrong thing! Mainwaring is from an old tv programme called Dad's Army (UK programme in case you are not of these shores)

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Congrats, it looks great! Maybe the "miscommunication" was a blessing in disguise.

Is this CXL steer, or some other type?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This leather really does capture the look of a lot of those early British jackets well.

Mark

Practically Family
Congrats, it looks great! Maybe the "miscommunication" was a blessing in disguise.

Is this CXL steer, or some other type?
It is their "grainy mid weight steerhide". A blessing in disguise is a positive way to look at it for sure! Thank You.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points