Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW Aero Board Racer and opinions needed...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know, seeing as you plan to order another 2 in black and brown I'd keep this as my casual jacket that "could" be used on the bike push comes to shove and spec the other 2 with another inch on the sleeves purely for riding jackets.

I know a lot of people here love really long sleeves but on a casual jacket, it annoys the hell out of me having the sleeve edge constantly pushing against my wrist.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the length and fit
I also like a tight jacket
from experience riding and living in a cafe racer- it is nice to have a balance where riding on the bike and casual wear intersect. Looks like your jacket fits the bill- nice balance between the two
Great looking jacket, color and fit

Jägernaut

Practically Family
I think that sleeve length is perfect length for riding and casual wear. It looks to be the perfect compromise in length to suit both purposes. The look and fit are amazing. I wouldn't part with it.

dan_t

Practically Family
Thanks for retaking the pictures.
Based on your second set of images, I'd suggest that this fit is spot on.
The problem with asking for fit advice is that everyone will have opinions, but no one other than you has to wear the jacket.
If you're comfortable, then keep it. If you're not, then in all likelihood you never will be.
I think it's a stunning jacket.
Way, way better than 99.99% of what is out there in the wild.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Thanks for retaking the pictures.
Based on your second set of images, I'd suggest that this fit is spot on.
The problem with asking for fit advice is that everyone will have opinions, but no one other than you has to wear the jacket.
If you're comfortable, then keep it. If you're not, then in all likelihood you never will be.
I think it's a stunning jacket.
Way, way better than 99.99% of what is out there in the wild.

Agree. I wish my jackets fit that well.

If it wasn't made properly to your specs then it needs to be re-done.

If it turned out better than what the OP had ever hoped for, what's the point? If half an inch really makes that much of a difference, then by all means.

Let's face it, most people who buy leather jackets don't really have the first clue about fit. Few of us here who have a clear idea what we think works best for us but whether we're right or wrong is open for debate and I'm all for leaving these things to the professionals, rather than sticking with our own silly ideas. Quite a few threads on TFL where people insisted on getting exactly what they wanted only to end up disappointed. I've been there. If you asked my friend, he'd tell you the shoulders must fall to the middle of your arm, otherwise the jacket is too small and there's nothing I can say or do to make him even consider the possibility that he is wrong.

Not to mention the fact that there's a possibility that the OP didn't even measure the jacket the same way Aero does! Do we really know how to properly measure sleeves on a leather jacket? I bet you could have 10 people on this forum measure the same jacket and they'd all come up with a different result.

This jacket fits OP perfectly. There's really no point in prolonging the sleeves or the length of the jacket. Whatever for? Sure, he might ask for a remake because some numbers don't add up (numbers that don't even exist) and end up wishing he hadn't because objectively speaking, this BR fits him like few people can hope theirs ever would.

Plumbline

One Too Many
In my experience ... if you have to ask the question, you probably know the answer :(

It's such a subjective thing ... "Fit" .... if it feels right, it fits right. If it doesn't feel right .. then it probably doesn't.

As a wise jacket junkie once told me "One mans fit, is another mans f@ck-up"

Nice jacket though, great color and looks good on .... without armour though it's not going on my back on the bike ( but that's just me)

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
If it turned out better than what the OP had ever hoped for, what's the point? If half an inch really makes that much of a difference, then by all means.

Let's face it, most people who buy leather jackets don't really have the first clue about fit. Few of us here who have a clear idea what we think works best for us but whether we're right or wrong is open for debate and I'm all for leaving these things to the professionals, rather than sticking with our own silly ideas. Quite a few threads on TFL where people insisted on getting exactly what they wanted only to end up disappointed. I've been there. If you asked my friend, he'd tell you the shoulders must fall to the middle of your arm, otherwise the jacket is too small and there's nothing I can say or do to make him even consider the possibility that he is wrong.

Not to mention the fact that there's a possibility that the OP didn't even measure the jacket the same way Aero does! Do we really know how to properly measure sleeves on a leather jacket? I bet you could have 10 people on this forum measure the same jacket and they'd all come up with a different result.

This jacket fits OP perfectly. There's really no point in prolonging the sleeves or the length of the jacket. Whatever for? Sure, he might ask for a remake because some numbers don't add up (numbers that don't even exist) and end up wishing he hadn't because objectively speaking, this BR fits him like few people can hope theirs ever would.

Thanks for all you wrote, I do really appreciate the advice as well as the time it took to write your thoughts.

FYI, I did measure the jacket sleeves as per Aero since I have communicated with them MORE than a dozen times in the past when measuring my other jackets and getting this jacket custom fitted to my specs. They are VERY PRECISE when it comes to giving them measurements. For example, I was asked to give the following measurements:

Chest (exhaled - normal) wearing a T shirt
Chest (exhaled - normal) wearing a heavy sweater (heaviest sweater I would normally wear)
Chest (inhaled - expanded) wearing a T shirt
Chest (inhaled - expanded) wearing a heavy sweater (heaviest sweater I would normally wear)
Shoulders
Waist wearing pants with or without belt
Stomach

Like I said prior, I really do like the jacket fit in the body and the body length. ONLY concern was the sleeve length on my Ducati as my arms are more extended. On my Triump the arms seem ok as the arms are not as extended.

What I can say is the leather seems to be breaking in MUCH FASTER than I remember from CXL FQHH. I requested the THICKEST and HEAVIEST hide they had but from the weight and feel this jacket is definitely lighter than my black Cafe Racer in CXL Steerhide. From less than a week of normal wear, the leather seems to be more pliable and much softer than new. This is due to me wearing it constantly for around 6 - 8 hours a day for 5 days.

Last edited:

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
In my experience ... if you have to ask the question, you probably know the answer :(

It's such a subjective thing ... "Fit" .... if it feels right, it fits right. If it doesn't feel right .. then it probably doesn't.

As a wise jacket junkie once told me "One mans fit, is another mans f@ck-up"

Nice jacket though, great color and looks good on .... without armour though it's not going on my back on the bike ( but that's just me)

I feel the same way which is why I wear body armor or an armored shirt underneath.

AllanP

Familiar Face

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Measurements are different from fit. If I was given a exact measurement by a company I expect it to be fulfilled to the measurement regardless how it fits on me. I can understand sleeve measurement to be subjective and with error depending on how you measure, I don't understand how back length can be off. Numbers are not entirely subjective, or else why does maker ask for you to measure yourself all over.

Whether the requested measurement actually fits is on the customer, getting the measurements correct is on the maker. That goes for most bespoke hand made things right? I have a lot of custom kitchen knives, if I ask for certain lengths, width, weight, I expect it to be there when I receive it. It doesn't matter if the knife is a great cutter and the wrong specs ends up fitting my hand anyway, the point is that they got the specs wrong.

Even if a customer asks for some crazy monstrosity specs, it should still be fulfilled. I have read a lot of threads of here of customers getting jackets that are not according to the specified measurements and being told to not worry about it. I think that's not a good trend at all, makers should be held at much higher standards especially at the price point.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
AllanP - that's an almost fundamentalist view of measurements which I understand, but for me the real world takes precedence. If I sent Aero those measurements and they got them wrong but the jacket fitted brilliantly (as it does here) I think sheer pragmatism would have me shrug, smile and say "what do I know?" The bigger picture is: does the jacket fit and look good? If the answer is "yes" - move on.

There's the distinct possibility that if the OP actually got the measurements he asked for the jacket would look too long. Where would he be then? Of course that's my view and the OP should do what he thinks is right.

willyto

One Too Many
I love how you people like to overthink everything about the fit of a jacket. Is that stitch 0,2 inches far to the left or is that zipper pointing to 40º East instead of 39,9º oh and wait there's more! The sleeve doesn't cover my left arm wrist by half a centimeter so one of my hairs sticks out.

I love how you people like to overthink everything about the fit of a jacket. Is that stitch 0,2 inches far to the left or is that zipper pointing to 40º East instead of 39,9º oh and wait there's more! The sleeve doesn't cover my left arm wrist by half a centimeter so one of my hairs sticks out.
LOL. It's true, it is very easy to overthink and over scrutinize ever small detail. I do it. I think we all do, but when you're talking about a jacket, a piece of clothing, that costs what these things do, it's only natural to expect absolute perfection. Or at least what one perceives as such, which is of course unobtainable in some regards.
As Seb alluded, if the shoe fits, wear it.

IXL

One Too Many
I'm not sure if I agree with that. Measurements are different from fit. If I was given a exact measurement by a company I expect it to be fulfilled to the measurement regardless how it fits on me. I can understand sleeve measurement to be subjective and with error depending on how you measure, I don't understand how back length can be off. Numbers are not entirely subjective, or else why does maker ask for you to measure yourself all over.

Whether the requested measurement actually fits is on the customer, getting the measurements correct is on the maker. That goes for most bespoke hand made things right? I have a lot of custom kitchen knives, if I ask for certain lengths, width, weight, I expect it to be there when I receive it. It doesn't matter if the knife is a great cutter and the wrong specs ends up fitting my hand anyway, the point is that they got the specs wrong.

Even if a customer asks for some crazy monstrosity specs, it should still be fulfilled. I have read a lot of threads of here of customers getting jackets that are not according to the specified measurements and being told to not worry about it. I think that's not a good trend at all, makers should be held at much higher standards especially at the price point.

AllanP, I'm curious: would you elect to keep a great-cutting knife that ended up fitting your hand, even though it was manufactured to the wrong specs?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
AllanP - that's an almost fundamentalist view of measurements which I understand, but for me the real world takes precedence. If I sent Aero those measurements and they got them wrong but the jacket fitted brilliantly (as it does here) I think sheer pragmatism would have me shrug, smile and say "what do I know?" The bigger picture is: does the jacket fit and look good? If the answer is "yes" - move on.

There's the distinct possibility that if the OP actually got the measurements he asked for the jacket would look too long. Where would he be then? Of course that's my view and the OP should do what he thinks is right.

Well said Seb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner