Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW Aero Board Racer and opinions needed...

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
hi Guys,

Recently sold a few jackets off as I wanted to shift more towards a Board Racer / Cafe Racer style instead of the classic Highwayman, Halfbelt, etc...

I was in-between sizes and finally decided on going with a Board Racer in 38 for spring / summer riding and a Cafe Racer in 38 for fall / winter riding as the Cafe Racer fits slightly larger for layering.

Placed my order with Aero for this Board Racer and 7 weeks later it has arrived. I received it Tuesday and it seemed great at the start BUT I was a little hesistant about the fit. What concerned me was the fact that the custom measurements I gave did NOT correspond with the TRUE measurements of the jacket itself.

I asked for standard length (25.75") and I measure this jacket at 24.5" from the collar seam.

Sleeve length was supposed to be 25.75" (+ 1/2" over standard) but I measure the sleeves at 24.25" vertically or 25" around the outer curve.

I immediately contacted Denny at Aero to voice my concerns and he asked me to take it out on my bike to see how it fits when riding. So I took his advice and have worn it for the past 3 days and on 3 different rides which total around 5 hours.

Seems the CXL FQHH is breaking in quickly which surpised me a little BUT again I am concerned about the sleeve length being slightly short on the bike. I know the sleeves will continue to shorten with more use so I would like to ask you all what you think I should do.

Should I keep it as is, seems perfect at the moment BUT again this is after 3 days of mild use?

or

Should I send it back to Aero and have it made with longer sleeves as per my original order?

Sadly, I really like the jacket and I absolutely love the deep and rich cordovan color which seems to be slightly darker than the cordovan Highwayman I recently sold.

I would appreciate any and all opinions and/or advice.

Thanks in advance.

Please have a look at several photos taken by my fiance during a ride at a cemetary. I know, it is a little creepy but it was a quiet place to take some photos. They are not as clear as I would like but best we could do with a camera phone.

Added photos of the measurements compared with my older Cafe Racer 38 in CXL Steerhide which has a sleeve length of 26.5" for riding but a tad too long for a casual jacket. Please have a look below.

Straight vertical sleeve measurement.

Sleeve measurement around OUTER curve

Cafer Racer 38 sleeve measurement vertically down

What I do not understand is HOW they could mess up the length of the BODY (standard is 25.75") by as much as 1.25" which is a HUGE MARGIN !!

The sleeve length is more understandable due to the Board Racer sleeves being pre-curved.

UPDATED PHOTOS below.

I had my fiance take a couple quick photos early this afternoon so please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

Photos with sleeves UNZIPPED.

Photos with sleeves ZIPPED.

And for all the Steve McQueen fans out there !!

Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Body length from the front looks good. I'd be unhappy with that sleeve length also. I'd go for a redo based on that if it were me

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Tough one. I like the body length, wouldn't want it longer I think... but the sleeves might indeed be a bit on the shirt side. For one, they will shorten by about 0.5" and then, they ride up a bit when you stretch out your arms... I think for casual wear it's okay as it is, I had to look twice to make up my mind whether they are just right or too short but if you want to actually ride in the jacket, they may be too short. Beautiful jacket, though.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Firstly, that colour is fantastic!

If you want evaluations for how it fits as a riding jacket, we really need to see you wearing it while sitting on your bike with your hands on the handlebars.

I doubt the sleeves would shorten much more than they have already...they stop where your wrist widens out, even if they were an inch longer, when zipped , they would still stop there. Having said that, I'd guess as they fit just right as a casual jacket, they might ride up a bit in the motorcycle riding position?

Just another thought from my experience. See how there is a marked diagonal crease at the shoulders? I'm beginning to believe thats due to the jacket being too tight. I see it on my size 40 BR but not on the size 42. The BR is very small through the shoulders, have you thought about ordering a size up in the chest/shoulders and getting it taper down a size in the waist?

dan_t

Practically Family
Take your hands out of your pockets, let your arms hang naturally & retake the photos.
I predict the result will alter the perceived 'fit' of the sleeve length noticeably.
Remember that with any measurements, FQHH is a beast of a leather. + or minus 1/2 an inch is within tolerance. So if your have 25", then I'd say any length error may be with your original request, not the jacket.
It looks to me that you should have requested a minimum of 26" & possibly slightly more for riding.

El Marro

First things first, that is an absolutely beautiful jacket and it looks great on you! Having said that, I think you should ask for a remake with the measurements you specified the first time. In my experience ones first impression of a jacket is almost impossible to overcome. If it seemed short the first time you put it on then it will always feel that way to you. Especially if you had specified it with longer sleeves and body length than you received.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
Firstly, that colour is fantastic!

If you want evaluations for how it fits as a riding jacket, we really need to see you wearing it while sitting on your bike with your hands on the handlebars.

I doubt the sleeves would shorten much more than they have already...they stop where your wrist widens out, even if they were an inch longer, when zipped , they would still stop there. Having said that, I'd guess as they fit just right as a casual jacket, they might ride up a bit in the motorcycle riding position?

Just another thought from my experience. See how there is a marked diagonal crease at the shoulders? I'm beginning to believe thats due to the jacket being too tight. I see it on my size 40 BR but not on the size 42. The BR is very small through the shoulders, have you thought about ordering a size up in the chest/shoulders and getting it taper down a size in the waist?

I appreciate the advice. I actually really like how snug and tight it fits in the shoulders and chest as I know with more wear it will expand and mold to my body. I think it looks a little tight since I was wearing a heavy cashmere sweater underneath when taking these photos since it was quite chilly. I would normally wear this jacket with a T shirt underneath and maybe a light pull or sweater at most as I could wear my 38 Cafe Racer which fits larger in the shoulders and chest if I needed more room.

What I wanted to accomplish was a VERY fitted look and feel. I really do think it fits well and will only get better with more wear.

My ONLY concern at the moment is the sleeve length as I have already noticed the sleeves feeling slightly shorter after ONLY 3 DAYS of MILD USE!! Cannot imagine how much shorter they would be with more use and MORE creasing.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
Take your hands out of your pockets, let your arms hang naturally & retake the photos.
I predict the result will alter the perceived 'fit' of the sleeve length noticeably.
Remember that with any measurements, FQHH is a beast of a leather. + or minus 1/2 an inch is within tolerance. So if your have 25", then I'd say any length error may be with your original request, not the jacket.
It looks to me that you should have requested a minimum of 26" & possibly slightly more for riding.

Will try and take a couple more photos with my arms hanging down naturally tomorrow and hope the sun is out. It is already past 1:30 am here, LOL

IXL

One Too Many
Overall, the jacket looks quite nice. The sleeves are indeed a bit short, in my opinion. Knowing how hard it is to face the prospect of having to return something that has been anxiously awaited, I've lived with enough long-term buyer's remorse on several purchased items that weren't quite as hoped for, and would return this jacket for one with longer sleeves. I think in the end you will be much happier.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
You would need a bit more sleeve length for riding, but I think the body length is perfect. I don't ride and maybe jackets need to be extra long for riding, but I feel it would look odd being longer and that trim fitting. Unless you have no ass at all, you'll need quite a bit of flare at the base of the jacket.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
You would need a bit more sleeve length for riding, but I think the body length is perfect. I don't ride and maybe jackets need to be extra long for riding, but I feel it would look odd being longer and that trim fitting. Unless you have no ass at all, you'll need quite a bit of flare at the base of the jacket.

I agree and think the shorter than standard body length is about perfect BUT I also think the sleeves are slightly short when riding although they might appear fine for casual usage. I am also concerned that the sleeves with continue to shorten slightly due to MORE creasing.

Just look at the amount of creasing ONLY after 3 days of MILD USE, around 5 hours on a bike.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If it isn't what you asked for, return it. But we need different photos to make a better assessment. Firstly, only wear a t-shirt as the long sleeves of your current top add to the sleeve length confusing the view. The top bottom also interrupts the view at the waist. We also need to see your arm lying naturally alongside - no hands dangling from pockets. The jacket looks too tight form my perspective, but you say you like them that way, so that's not an issue. From what I can see, this is one of the longer cafe racers I have seen. I wouldn't want it any longer.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think I'd say add at least some length to the sleeves, and if you think it wouldn't bother you sitting, maybe a hair of length to the body. I'm not keen on CRs in heavy hides, I'd opt for a lighter hide if not for your scooter. But it's keepable if you aren't seeking perfection.

Superfluous

IMHO, too short in the sleeves AND body, and it fits oddly in the chest/underarms.

Bottom line, if the measurements do not match what you ordered, you have every right to return it. I recently had the same experience with a different manufacturer, and I sent it back. Aero will take good care of you.

Mark

Practically Family
I think it looks great as is and will look even better when broken in and loosened up. Personally I would rather a little short on the bike than too long off. Does it really matter that much if they ride up an inch or so? Your gloves will also help in covering any exposed wrist. Beautiful colour by the way.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think it looks great, if the armhole is high the sleeve won't ride up much, I doubt it would get any shorter in the future as the first few set in creases there would be the final length, perhaps overtime you'll develop minor creases, but then the leather would be softer and won't hold its creases too firmly,

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The whole "sleeves will shorten with wear" thing is a myth. Out of my many jacket non have shrunken sleeves.
If sleeves start out super long they will crease more, but they won't magically shrink.
IMO your jacket has the perfect sleeve length, and the body is good too.
I would happily keep it....

BobJ

Practically Family
That folding/puckering on the front of the left shoulder would be a complete deal-killer for me. It's not sewn right. Look at the seam where the sleeve attaches to the body - it's laying flat. And look at the seam where your collar attaches to the body - it, too, is laying flat. But the leather between the two seams is all messed up. Looks horrible. Can you even get it to lay flat? It looks like those folds are permanently sewn in. Surprised it got past quality control.

I'd send it back and ask for a remake - and get the sleeves 1/2" longer while they're at it.

Peacoat

Bartender
Body length is good, based on what I can tell from the photos with your belt line not being visible, but I would want the sleeves an inch or so longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner