Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doubt to choose length Board Racer j100.

Torvic

Familiar Face
Hello Fedora guys.

I am going to place an order for an Aero Board Racer J100, and I have questions about the length of the jacket. In my previous order I requested a length of 25" and received 24.4" (0.5" tolerance from Aero) I found it too short once put on. This time I want to order more length, I had thought that between 25.75" and 26" would be best, plus the pattern on the BR tends to be a bit longer - Talking to Holly she told me that perhaps the best option would be to ask for 26.25" keeping in mind the half inch tolerance wouldn't go over the 25.75", but he also told me that there is also a risk that it will come out 0.5" longer. Given your experience with Aero, have you ever received more length than desired or, on the contrary, it always tends to be less than requested?
So what length do you think I should choose?
My height is 5'9"
Below I also attach a photo with the jacket on, the other measurements seem correct to me, what do you think?
I appreciate your answers, thank you and greetings to all.

Victor.

the size is 42
Length: 24.4"
Hem: 20"
Sleeves: 26"

Attachments

• foto-5.jpg
    foto-5.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 267
  • foto 1.jpg
    foto 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 248
  • foto 2.jpg
    foto 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 218
  • foto 3.jpg
    foto 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 203
  • foto 4.jpg
    foto 4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 222

Torvic

Familiar Face
Thank you for your answer, I have to add that most of the time I wear the shirt untucked so the shirt shows too much below the hem, which is a bit irritating as I prefer it to completely cover the shirt, maybe it doesn't help the OCD that I have.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I agree with @Marc mndt , going any longer would be a bad idea.
For me (and I guess a lot of other TFL folks) the ideal length is between where your front pockets start to show and covering your belt.
In this case the front pockets are slightly peeking out from the front, so that's as long as I would go.
Could go slightly shorter, but in general the 24.4" seems like the perfect length.

Torvic

Familiar Face
It squeezes me a lot on my arms, especially in the area between the biceps and forearms to the point where it hurts (I have big arms) I can't close the zippers on my arms either, do you know if the skin will stretch over time enough in that area? The leather is Vicenza, thank you.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Sleeve width is a completely different topic.
As far as I know Aero will not accommodate sleeve width requests, you just have to pick a different pattern - one that has wider sleeves.
I highly doubt you will achieve any significant improvements in comfort just by natural stretch. Soaking and wearing with a thick sweater while still wet will get you further but it is more dangerous, high stress on the seams.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you still have your production sheet, Just ask for that same jacket but one inch longer, that should cover most the untucked shirt. Assuming you're sending the current shorter jacket back right? Send it back with the production sheet and the return sheet and specify one inch longer from that jacket.

Edward

Bartender
I'd be wary of adding too much in the way of length myself. The patterns Aero use are cut to the style of a particular period, and messing about with the proportions to suit modern ways of dressing (untucked shirts, waistbands significantly south of the natural waist and the likes) is apt to end up just looking 'off'. I remember about fifteen years ago, in the Lauder era, somebody in these parts specc'ed up a Highwayman intended to be a skinny fit; the result never looked quite right. The end result always looked like a boxier-by-design jacket that was being worn a size or two too small, not a slim-fitting jacket. It may well be that a different Aero pattern will be much closer to what is actually desired - I'd be led by them on that front.

Never had a problem with length on anything I've had from Aero. I'm only 5'10", so not significantly taller than OP, only ever ordered the standard length for my size. I don't wear low-waisted anything, though, and the only shirts I don't tuck are a couple of Hawaiian shirts that only come out when it's too hot for a leather jacket, so.....

Torvic

Familiar Face
Sleeve width is a completely different topic.
As far as I know Aero will not accommodate sleeve width requests, you just have to pick a different pattern - one that has wider sleeves.
I highly doubt you will achieve any significant improvements in comfort just by natural stretch. Soaking and wearing with a thick sweater while still wet will get you further but it is more dangerous, high stress on the seams.
I have the same model in badalassi, with the same measurements but in this case the sleeves are looser and I don't have that problem, I suppose it has to do with the 0.5" tolerance in this case, I had read about this technique in the forum to widen the jacket but I don't know if I would dare to do it haha.

Torvic

Familiar Face
If you still have your production sheet, Just ask for that same jacket but one inch longer, that should cover most the untucked shirt. Assuming you're sending the current shorter jacket back right? Send it back with the production sheet and the return sheet and specify one inch longer from that jacket.
In this case, unfortunately, having changed the hem, I could not return the jacket, in which case I would have the option of selling it if I wanted a new one.

Torvic

Familiar Face
I'd be wary of adding too much in the way of length myself. The patterns Aero use are cut to the style of a particular period, and messing about with the proportions to suit modern ways of dressing (untucked shirts, waistbands significantly south of the natural waist and the likes) is apt to end up just looking 'off'. I remember about fifteen years ago, in the Lauder era, somebody in these parts specc'ed up a Highwayman intended to be a skinny fit; the result never looked quite right. The end result always looked like a boxier-by-design jacket that was being worn a size or two too small, not a slim-fitting jacket. It may well be that a different Aero pattern will be much closer to what is actually desired - I'd be led by them on that front.

Never had a problem with length on anything I've had from Aero. I'm only 5'10", so not significantly taller than OP, only ever ordered the standard length for my size. I don't wear low-waisted anything, though, and the only shirts I don't tuck are a couple of Hawaiian shirts that only come out when it's too hot for a leather jacket, so.....
In this case I modified the length of the jacket, this pattern was warned in Aero that it was a little longer. In size 42 the original length is 27" to me it seemed too long so I decided to reduce it to 25" taking into account that other jackets (from the mall) that I have measure approximately that, and another similar to the BR measures 25.6 "and it looks good too.

Last edited:

Torvic

Familiar Face
The fact is that it feels shorter than I would like and expected, and it also squeezes my arms quite a bit. And I don't know if it's something that will always be on my mind, I get a little obsessed looking for what I think would be perfect. This was my first order, which led me to discover this forum and search for all possible information about this wonderful world. I will debate with the pillow on which decision to make.

Thank you very much for your responses everyone.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello Fedora guys.

I am going to place an order for an Aero Board Racer J100, and I have questions about the length of the jacket. In my previous order I requested a length of 25" and received 24.4" (0.5" tolerance from Aero) I found it too short once put on. This time I want to order more length, I had thought that between 25.75" and 26" would be best, plus the pattern on the BR tends to be a bit longer - Talking to Holly she told me that perhaps the best option would be to ask for 26.25" keeping in mind the half inch tolerance wouldn't go over the 25.75", but he also told me that there is also a risk that it will come out 0.5" longer. Given your experience with Aero, have you ever received more length than desired or, on the contrary, it always tends to be less than requested?
So what length do you think I should choose?
My height is 5'9"
Below I also attach a photo with the jacket on, the other measurements seem correct to me, what do you think?
I appreciate your answers, thank you and greetings to all.

Victor.

the size is 42
Length: 24.4"
Hem: 20"
Sleeves: 26"

The length of your jacket looks fine to my taste.

But the 0.5" toloerance both up and down is really stupid. If it was at least only in one direction, it would make the calculation easier.
I always consider whether 0.5" longer or 0.5" shorter is worse and then I decide.
There is always a certain gamble involved.
Based on my jackets, I would say P2P and hem fits or tends to be a little more rather than less. Back length either fits or tends to be a little less.
Shoulders and sleeves are actually quite accurate.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear the shirt untucked so the shirt shows too much below the hem, which is a bit irritating as I prefer it to completely cover the shirt, maybe it doesn't help the OCD that I have.
simplest solution: shorter shirts. I have all mine in short so they just go over the belt. That goes well with the jackets.

Attachments

• 1692913575083.jpeg
    1692913575083.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_7594.jpeg
    IMG_7594.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 228

Torvic

Familiar Face

But the 0.5" toloerance both up and down is really stupid. If it was at least only in one direction, it would make the calculation easier.
I always consider whether 0.5" longer or 0.5" shorter is worse and then I decide.
Based on my jackets, I would say P2P and hem fits or tends to be a little more rather than less. Back length either fits or tends to be a little less.

Thank you for your answer, the truth is that in my case it has been as described, also in the shoulders it has been subtracted in my case, the truth is that the tolerance of 0.5" possible in both directions complicates things a bit at the time to choose from, which creates some intrigue waiting.

Torvic

Familiar Face
La solución más sencilla: camisas más cortas. Tengo todos los míos en resumen, así que solo pasan por encima del cinturón. Eso va bien con las chaquetas.
Es una buena idea. ¡El ajuste de tus chaquetas es espectacular!

zebedee

One Too Many
Cafe racer and board racer fits are tricky. It seems that somewhere around 24-25 inches works... It's usually the 'tightness' that I can't get right. A 42 is almost too tight. A 44 is great, but a little too loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner