Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Highwayman arrived

Cooperson

One Too Many
This is my first post so a big hello to all and many congratulations to the owners and moderators of this superb site.

A bit of history - I have been searching for the 'ultimate leather jacket' for many years and have owned and sold quite a few in that time as they have never been just right. I then came across the Fedora Lounge which then led me to Aero leathers and the rest is history as they say.

After a nervous 12 week wait my new Highwayman arrived yesterday. As I first pulled it from the box, I was shocked by the sheer weight and stiffness of it. For someone who has never felt heavy horsehide before. I seriously wondered if I had done the right thing. As I put the jacket on I remembered a post here where someone had likened it to wearing a suitcase - that's exactly how it felt!

Although feeling a bit worried I was also knocked out by the sheer quality of the leather, zips, lining and overall manufacture - truly superb.

Well to cut a long story short, after just one day of wearing and serious manipulation, the jacket is already starting to soften and drape and can no longer stand upright on it's own! This is going to be a great jacket.

As for the details: the jacket is a standard size 40", brown heavy front quarter horse with a brown wool worsted lining called 'Common Riding'. The zips are antique brass and the jacket two interior pockets , one zipped and one studded. Although at 5' 11" tall I usually take a standard UK size 42" jacket, Will at Aero recommended a 40" Highwayman and he was spot on, the jacket is a great fit for me. I cannot rate Aero highly enough, yes there is the wait to consider, but service you get from Amanda, Will and all at the factory and the quality of the jackets they make is second to none.

I have attempted to post a few pictures of the jacket, as it was, just minutes out of the box. Thanks again to all here for the invaluable information, photos and great atmosphere.

Cheers.

Highwaymanfrontoff.jpg

Highwaymanliningoff.jpg

Highwaymansideoff.jpg

Highwaymanfronton.jpg

blethook

One of the Regulars
Nice!!!

Congrats on the new jacket, very nice indeed, and very good fit on you! :eusa_clap

Yes it does look like you'd have to size down on the non-military Aero jackets...I've got my eye on the 1930 slim half belt but always turned off by the larger-than-it-should-be armholes, which seems to lift the whole jacket up whenever the wearer raise his arms, but perhaps I'd be able to overlook that once being used to it(?)

Regards
Blethook

bobjones

A-List Customer
Great pictures, and a beautiful jacket. This is VERY close to the one I have on order.

I am 5' - 10 1/2", and weigh about 185 lbs, with a 42" gut and 42" chest, so I am curious what your waist and chest measurements are that you decided to go with a 40", especially since the fit on you is perfect...

Also, if you get a chance, can you take a picture or two from the side and back (I'd have sent this via PM but new members can't receive them).

Doublegun

Practically Family
Wow. I have not even ordered my jacket, but I can't wait to get one. Thinking about how to loosen up new heavy leather jackets, how would zipping up the zippers and putting the jacket in the dryer (WITH THE HEAT OFF) along with some dry towles?

Also, why did you work directlywith Aero in the UK and not Mark Moye at Aero USA? I am fairly early in the process.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments guys.

blethook - I'm sure your slim half belt will be fine once it's broken in.

bobjones - I have a 36" waist and 42" chest and the fit is perfect. Just give Aero the dimensions they ask for and trust them - they definitely know what they are doing regards sizing people. I have included pictures of side and back, but remember these were taken just minutes from taking the jacket from the box. The last picture was taken today, after just one day.

Doublegun - I don't know about putting a jacket in the dryer, sounds a bit drastic. My last picture is after one day of manual manipulating the leather. The shoulders have dropped, loosing that boxy look and the leather has softened beyond recognition. I wore it out for the time today and it already feels like an old friend.

You might be able to guess by now, I love this jacket!

Highwaymansideon.jpg

Highwaymanbackon.jpg

Highwaymanonedayold.jpg

bobjones

A-List Customer
Cooperson said:
bobjones - I have a 36" waist and 42" chest and the fit is perfect. Just give Aero the dimensions they ask for and trust them - they definitely know what they are doing regards sizing people. I have included pictures of side and back, but remember these were taken just minutes from taking the jacket from the box. The last picture was taken today, after just one day.

Thanks so much for the extra pics Coop.

I wear a size 38 pants (some brands' size 40), but over my navel my gut is a solid 42" :eek: , so I guess that's the real challenge for Will, a snug fit over a bit of a belly.

You say your chest is a 42, but the label on the jacket says a 40? What was the reasoning in going DOWN a size?

Is the jacket that oversized?

Also, did you add/subtract any length from the sleeves or back as the fit is superb.

Doublegun

Practically Family
BTW - I really like the lining you selected. I keep going back and forth on what to order for a lining. I want something practical so I can wear the jacket 3-full seasons/year. I am concerned the Alpaca will be too warm and I can always throw a sweater on under the coat if I need additional warmth.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Doublegun said:
Also, why did you work directlywith Aero in the UK and not Mark Moye at Aero USA? I am fairly early in the process.

If I may take the liberty to answer: Cooperson is from Midlands, UK. Mark Moye represents Aero in the USA, not internationally.

Apart from that: great looking jacket, in a way I almost miss the breaking-in period :) And a perfect fit on you too!

I am 5,11" as well, but couldn't go for a 40 by any means. Amanda told me to a 42 based on my measurements. That should instill some confidence in you, who have yet to try Aero expertise in choosing the right size from your measurements.

bobjones

A-List Customer
eClairvaux said:
If I may take the liberty to answer: Cooperson is from Midlands, UK. Mark Moye represents Aero in the USA, not internationally.

Apart from that: great looking jacket, in a way I almost miss the breaking-in period :) And a perfect fit on you too!

I am 5,11" as well, but couldn't go for a 40 by any means. Amanda told me to a 42 based on my measurements. That should instill some confidence in you, who have yet to try Aero expertise in choosing the right size from your measurements.

What threw me was that Coop said his chest measure 42", but bought a 40.

Cooperson

One Too Many
bobjones - Bob, I really wouldn't worry too much about the size, Will at Aero will sort it for you I'm sure. Sorry, I may have mislead you by saying I was a 42" chest (that's how I always see myself for UK jackets). The measurements I was asked to give and my actual measurements were as follows:

Chest relaxed = 39 1/2"
Chest expanded = 41"
Natural waist = 36"
Stomach = 38"

From this, Will sized me as a standard 40" Highwayman. There were no alterations to the sleeves or back length and the fit was perfect. Will did ask me if I had any unusual features, like long arms, body etc. so he does make sure he gets it right. I'm sure your jacket will be right too.

eClairvaux - Yes you are correct, I live in the UK so I ordered direct through Amanda and Will at Aero. I understand what you mean about missing the breaking in process but the jacket really was a like suitcase and was, for me, just too uncomfortable to wear. Don't get me wrong, it is still a brute of a jacket and has a long way to go, but at least I can move my arms around and drive my car in it now.

Doublegun - I agonized for ages over the lining. Will had sent me some samples and I was torn between the brown 'Common Riding' and a really nice subdued red and green tartan called 'Grant'. The brown won me over and I'm pleased with choice as it goes really well with the brown horsehide.

I will save the Grant tartan for the next Aero I order :)

bobjones

A-List Customer
eClairvaux said:

eClair, what is your chest (inhaled/exhaled), stomach and waist measurements, and what size did you go with?

Volpone

New in Town
HWM lining

Doublegun said:
BTW - I really like the lining you selected. I keep going back and forth on what to order for a lining. I want something practical so I can wear the jacket 3-full seasons/year. I am concerned the Alpaca will be too warm and I can always throw a sweater on under the coat if I need additional warmth.

Hello,
" Common Riding " it's a very good choice for a in between lining ... I have a sample of it and it feels very soft and a bit thinner than the alpaca ... it is also the lining I ordered for my HWM two weeks ago .

Regards.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
That lining is gorgeous, I love it. I'll make sure to remember it when I decide to buy a long half-belt in the future. Some other the other linings like the red or green tartans are a bit loud for my tastes but this one is very very nice.

Volpone

New in Town
HWM lining !

Hello,
I had to chose from some linings ... all were great from their purpose ( my choice )... alpaca is the best option for FQ thanks to it's thickness and beeing warm ( for a 4 season weather like here in RO ) but there are some linings that might be considered, like "common ... " and "Grant" ( a bit thinner but very very nice ) ... I just can't wait for my mid-w HWM slightly alterated !

Regards.
V.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I noticed that Fayed's "Byrd" jacket has what appears to be an Alpaca lining. His comments about being comfortable in the Arizona (?) desert were interesting. Mark Moye told me that the wear against the FQHH should be considered when ordering a lining. Still, I REALLY like the looks of your lining.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Thanks again for the kind comments guys.

Hawk_Eye - One of the main things I liked about the brown 'Common Riding' was how soft it felt compared to the other linings. I was a bit concerned that is might not wear as well, but Will assured me that even though it feels soft, a wool worsted is still a very strong fabric and a good choice.

bbc1969 - Yes, the quality is staggering, they must have some serious machines so sew through this leather. Which jacket do you have on order?

JanSolo - Thanks for the welcome. It was seeing the great photos like yours and others here that led me ordering an Aero. The difference in quality between this and a similar priced 'designer' leather jacket is unbelievable.

Cheers

break-in

hi cooperson - i just asked for some back pictures of the highwayman and you literally got the spot jacket i liked to order! thanks for the wonderful pic's - it really looks perfect on you, will be a neck-breaker, thats sure-fire!

BTW - you posted "some serious manipulation" for breakin' it in - what did you do? it really looks like you did a good job softening it?

B/R

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Cooperson said:
Thanks again for the kind comments guys.
bbc1969 - Yes, the quality is staggering, they must have some serious machines so sew through this leather. Which jacket do you have on order?
Cheers

Cooperson:

I have the same on order.. Highwayman FQHH in brown. It looks like such a great jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy