New Aero Leather Reversible Jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Graemsay, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

I used to be a fan of the Waterfront, and it looks like the Reversible Sports Jacket will be its replacement. Aero posted this image to Instagram a couple of weeks ago, and I like it. The only trouble is that I don't think it gets cold enough here in Melbourne to justify one.

Reversible.jpg

Edward and nick123 like this.
  2. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie Call Me a Cab

I snagged a size 44 Waterfront from their sales page and I love it even trhough it is a bit wide for my usual 40-42 frame. I can recommend that style to everyone! Funnily enough, I like the woolside more than the leather one, sadly the leather doesn't feel too nice on the skin so don't expect to wear it much with wool out.

Edward likes this.
  3. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

Have to say I like the wool only version better. Shame it's not in red.

Edward likes this.
  4. Edward

Edward Bartender

There was some talk of a red version, but last I heard they were looking for a new wool supplier? I love my green one. Tempted by the idea of getting a bigger one with a shearling lining...

5. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I'd prefer a wine-colour version. Green's one of those colours that I'm just not a massive fan of.

6. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

Now why did I not think of that:cool:.
    I have a Rumble 59 Claim Crawler that has fake fur trim but the wind bites right through the arms :( Perfect coat for cold weather otherwise.
    Yes Craig the dark red would look good too :)

7. Monitor

Monitor

What exactly is the point of these?

AeroFan_07 likes this.
  8. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

That is exactly what I was thinking.

AeroFan_07 and Monitor like this.
  9. Edward

Edward Bartender

They replicate a style that was around back when. Two look for the price of one, I guess.... I'm no much on the reversible thing, but I can see a jacket lined in that heavy wool for warmth with leather shelll to break the wind being pretty effective in Winter.

10. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

in the long run the sleeves and collar would suffer, or at least would be limp shapeless.

11. breezer

breezer Practically Family

I had a reversible waterfront - the quality was spectacular, and it looked good worn either way but I couldn't get along with the snap buttons - not enough warmth for such a heavy jacket. Having said that, I regret selling it.

12. Monitor

Monitor

I don't know, I see reversible jackets as those jackets with zippered sleeves that you can take off when it gets hot. I can see the logic behind it but nope.

13. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 I'll Lock Up

Interesting concept, however I would not look at one personally. "Bomber" style jackets with knit cuffs just don't work for me, unless they are a large Carhartt that I use to place layers under. I also don't do well with snaps or buttons overall instead of a zipper. Nothing against those who may like the idea, but I have wool coats (for much colder temps) and leather jackets for temps down to around 0F however would not see benefit to combining the two.

14. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

I'd be too afraid of scratching the shell material trying to get the thing turned about. But that's just an irrational phobia.

15. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

I am not fond of the reversible jacket at all but am partial to this one, the Marlon Brando "On the Waterfront Jacket" that is both visually appealing and functional, even on this "clothes hound" model. :D Just after my USN issued G-1 was stolen, I bought a Montgomery Ward's wool coat I called my "horse blanket" but wish I had found this one instead.

Uploaded5Feb2010013.jpg Uploaded5Feb2010019.jpg Uploaded5Feb2010029.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    AeroFan_07, Edward, BobJ and 2 others like this.
  16. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Yep, I think that's our esteemed Bartender, Edward, above. :rolleyes: ^^^^^

Edward likes this.
  17. Edward

Edward Bartender

Ha, it is indeed, yes! I must have put those photos up on this site somewhere if they came out of Google... My sole regret with that jacket (I may buy another one eventually, perhaps in a different colour if they offered it, but I do love the green) is that I didn't go big enough to layer a sweater under it. Nice alternative to a leather, though, wearable in mostly the same conditions.

18. Edward

Edward Bartender

Did you part with it fairly recently - like around Easter just gone? I bid on one on eBay about then, but narrowly missed out. I was looking at it from pov of wearing itl ike a HWM with a heavier lining....

Ah, that's what I'd call a 'convertible' - reversable means you can turn it inside out and still wear it (effectively it has two outsides, and no "inside" as it were). I know what you mean about removing sleeves.... As the climate gets more unberable up here in the Summer, I often consider sleeveless jackets, but I'd really be looking at something that's more of a waistcoat, if you follow - specifically designed to be worn like that, rather than one of those 'gillet' things that are basically a jacket with the arms cut off.

19. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

1mach1 likes this.
  20. I don't think that '20s work coat is 'reversible'...o_O