Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Long Half Belt - Shearling Lined

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Hello dear gents,

last week I received my new Long Half Belt. Black FQHH, shearling lined. This last week has been quite cold here, so my new jacket has seen almost continuous wear.
My impressions so far:
(a) It is HEAVY. I mean it. I get used to the weight quickly when I'm wearing it, but if I take it off and put on my Mariner (which I thought was a heavy double breasted FQHH jacket), then the latter seems as it is made out of silk.
(b) it is really warm and windproof.
(c) I usually chop off an inch from the sleeves and back length, being short for my chest width (or fat for my height). I did so for this jacket but probably I shouldn't have; the thick shearling seems to rise the jacket at the shoulders making the sleeves and back length seem short; probably this will get better when the wool sits a bit around the shoulders.
(d) The grain started appearing almost immediately and looks nice.
(e) I really like it. I wanted to have a really warm and weatherproof leather jacket as an alternative to my NB4 and melton peacoat.

Let me know your opinion,
Cheers

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 2,293
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 4,296
  • 8 copy.jpg
    8 copy.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 2,748
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 2,350
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 2,307
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    959.7 KB · Views: 2,378
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    960.6 KB · Views: 2,317
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    874.8 KB · Views: 2,264

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Leather looks beautiful, not very FQHH-ish though. Makes me wonder once again whether Aero and Horween have changed the formula for the CLX FQHH and the CLX Heavy Steerhide. The older jackets looked much different when new. Much shinier, much waxier and from what I can judge from pictures, the steerhide isn't as thick as it used to be, either. Not sure what I liked better. This grainy stuff is nice, too.

Fit looks great to me, not too short at all. Congratulations! :)

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Leather looks beautiful, not very FQHH-ish though. Makes me wonder once again whether Aero and Horween have changed the formula for the CLX FQHH and the CLX Heavy Steerhide. The older jackets looked much different when new. Much shinier, much waxier and from what I can judge from pictures, the steerhide isn't as thick as it used to be, either.

Yes, I know what you mean. I didn't have any experience with black FQHH but when I also thought that it looks different than my old brown fqhh mariner when brand new. My brown hb (one year old) was somewhere between.

Thanks Ton! To avoid any misunderstandings, I am not complaining! I like my new jacket a lot!
Oh I didn't think you were! How could you? I love it man. The shearling liner is just so choice and the jacket looks to be a bullet proof tank!! This is one of the nicest looking Aero's I've seen come through in quite awhile. Really spectacular.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Oh I didn't think you were! How could you? I love it man. The shearling liner is just so choice and the jacket looks to be a bullet proof tank!!
It is absolutely weatherproof.
The weight and feel of it reminded me of what I had to carry on my back while a freshman in the Corps of Engineers.
I had some doubts about the lining colour, after having placed my order I kinda regretted it I didn't go for a white colour, but when I got the jacket any doubt left.

Peacoat

Bartender
Now that is impressive. I think the torso length is spot on, but I personally would like another inch in the sleeves. You may get about 1/2" when the shearling settles, depending on the thickness of the liner.

The cut of that jacket is similar to the Thunder Bay, so I know what you mean when you say it is heavy.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Now that is impressive. I think the torso length is spot on, but I personally would like another inch in the sleeves. You may get about 1/2" when the shearling settles, depending on the thickness of the liner.

The cut of that jacket is similar to the Thunder Bay, so I know what you mean when you say it is heavy.

Yes, if the sleeves were 0,5-1 inch longer it would be better.
I asked for the thickest shearling available, it is really thick, I tried to make a photo of the thickness:

Attachments

• thickness.jpg
    thickness.jpg
    906.7 KB · Views: 1,939

Edward

Bartender
That's beautiful. I didn't know you could order a shearling liner in snything other than the usual tans and creams..... it looks fantastic in the black. I have my eye on a Thunder Bay eventually, and it will definitely have that! I'm also keen in the idea of a Barnstormer as a deptjhs of Winter coat, but I'm torn for that between the blanket lining and the shearling.... Yours looks fantastic.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
That's beautiful. I didn't know you could order a shearling liner in snything other than the usual tans and creams..... it looks fantastic in the black. I have my eye on a Thunder Bay eventually, and it will definitely have that! I'm also keen in the idea of a Barnstormer as a deptjhs of Winter coat, but I'm torn for that between the blanket lining and the shearling.... Yours looks fantastic.

Thanks Edward.
A shearling lined barnstormer would be sooo cool. I was initially planning for one but then I thought that a heavy winter jacket will be better with a zip rather than buttons, better wind protection. If you go for such a barnstormer then I advice for a mid-weight leather, such a big jacket + shearling will weigh a ton.
Black shearling looks really great, as I said above I was doubting a bit, until I received my jacket.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With the exception of a few biker styles, we don't normally see someone getting another civie jacket in the same style as one he already owns. As a LHB owner I can understand why: it's just a really useful and comfortable design. Great pics, by the way: I never realized how much the style looks so much like a late '40's working man design. Nice to see one in black as well.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That is an incredibly nice coat. Since I live in a warmer climate than you, my foul weather coat is a brown FQHH Teamster lined with moleskin which I wore today on a wet, chilly, windy day. Congratulations and well done!

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Wonderful LHB - the hide and shearling lining are perfection. I am partial to LHB's as I obtained one in Cordovan steer (non-shearling lined) about 8 months ago. It is a classic that reminds me of my youth when the style was more prevalent than today. You definitely have a keeper!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice, I've always fancied the LHB myself. I'd probably prefer another inch on the sleeve length, but that's a personal thing. Perfect cold weather jacket, it's a beauty.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Thank you guys for your nice words!
Today it was exceptionally warm here so I didn't put my new jacket on, hopefully it will get colder!
If you live in cold climates then such a jacket is totally recommended, given you don't mind the weight.
Hopefully as the wool sits around the shoulders I will get an extra half inch on the sleeves, otherwise I will get me some longer gloves!
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner