Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero 'Pioneer'

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I'm with HD on this: the half-belt and the pleat

on this gem are the heart-grabbers. This jacket just screams, "Email Amanda now! Email Amanda now!" I'm grateful for the price tag, as it is a bucket of cold reality keeping me from plunging over the cliff and into a new Aero jacket. In short, that is a sweet jacket.

Gambetto

Familiar Face
This jacket has the magic. I feel the fever. Anyone know how thick these unique hides are when compared with steer and horse? I have no experience with deer hides, so that reference is lost on me. . . . .

Edward

Bartender
It is a gorgeous looking hide. I wonder is it heavier than goat? I have something in mind I was going to go with russet goat for, but if this was an option....

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
I made inquiries earlier this week asking for a sample.

Amanda replied saying... "it’s a thick leather, but its supple, not as stiff as f/q horsehide. And it measures 1.7mm"

Sounds good, sample is on it's way.

Wow. That's thick. Think I'll ask for one myself. I'd like to see someone with a more trim cut around the waist though. It looks more boxy than I can wear these days.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
You could have it modeled after the 30s half belt pattern. It's been done with Bootleggers so I guess it can be done with a Pioneer as well.

True Rudie. Should not be difficult for them. Just don't want what Cole got with his first A-2 in FQHH. Seems a tight waist must be stressed these days.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Yeah. I got that with my FQHH 30s half belt. No problem to carry a watermelon underneath it. I'm going to sell it now that I have my perfectly fitting 30s half belt in russet goat. I really do wonder why this problem comes up again and again even when they have your measurements. They could save lots of money if they wouldn't have to sell all these jackets for cheap in the sale section.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Just received some samples of the Kudu today, also asked for the current vintage brown horse and oil pull horse for comparison. The Kudu is quite thick but the first thing that strikes you is how light and soft it feels. Holding it it your fingers, the heavy horse stands up straight, with little give, the Kudu just flops over - it's also quite stretchy. The color of the sample is a nice dark chocolate brown and the grain is pebbly, reminded me a bit of a very soft goat skin. This is a very soft hide but I sort of like it.

Left to right - vintage brown horse, oil pull horse, Kudu.

LefttorightVintagebrownhfqhoilpulhfqhKudu-3.jpg

Kudu grain.

AeroKudu.jpg

Kudu stiffness!

AeroKudustiffness.jpg

Gambetto

Familiar Face
A natural follow-up question is "How will this new Kudu hide age?" Will it age like goat or more like horse? In my opinion, FQHH ages the best of all hides that I have seen. Goat, on the other hand, does not age nearly as quickly. I wonder if Aero will eventually offer a vintage or pre-aged version of this new hide. Time will tell.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Yeah. I got that with my FQHH 30s half belt. No problem to carry a watermelon underneath it. I'm going to sell it now that I have my perfectly fitting 30s half belt in russet goat. I really do wonder why this problem comes up again and again even when they have your measurements. They could save lots of money if they wouldn't have to sell all these jackets for cheap in the sale section.

I think that problem is that Aero assume a 6" or so drop between chest and waist. From your thread, it looks like you're 40" and 32" respectively, giving an 8" drop. Hence tapering from a size 40 to a 38 in your jacket achieves the correct fit.

It's even worse if you're trim, but with a broad chest. A couple of years back I got myself into reasonable shape. I'd have probably taken a size 50 or even 52, but would have been around 36" (true) around the waist back then. So I'd have needed a 50 / 52 tapering to a 42. There would be plenty of space for smuggling footballs with a standard cut. :D

I'm guessing that Butte is having the same problem.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I can understand this when you order a standard size. But if you give them your exact measurements and ask them for a trim fit? Huh?

Graemsay

Practically Family
I think that Edward's probably right. Jeans tend to be 2" to 4" larger around waist than labelled. Then there are those who claim to be one size, whilst their overhanging belly would suggest otherwise. :)

If Aero had taken Rudie's actual waist size to be his jeans size then that would have explained the discrepancy. Plus I think that there's occasionally small inaccuracies in cutting and sewing the pattern to size, and regular posters on the Fedora Lounge are probably fussier about sizing than the average punter.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I sent them my exact measurements, not garment sizes. Chest, natural waist, hips, shoulder width, sleeve length, full sleeve length, the whole nine yards. There was definitely no way to mistake them as vanity sizing. There was a lot of communication, too. I made it very clear that I was going for a trim fit, not a mall fit. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart