Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero 'Pioneer'

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I wonder how this spongy kudu leather would fare as protection to wear while riding motorcycles. I know that goat is quite strong for its thickness, and more spongy, so this stuff might be even better than horse or steer, who knows?

I've always been intrigued with the idea of combining a lower back for riding and a shorter front with a 1930's style. It would make for an interesting hybrid. The Cossack design could be adapted for motorcycle riding. Yes, it would no longer be 1930's but it would still not quite be 1960's or newer either in style. That back pleat up in the shoulders might look interesting with some kidney protection lower down on a jacket's back.

I can't really ride with my current 1930's half belt. The front is not comfortable in the riding position. It hits my tank and folds back. I wouldn't want to crease it that way. There's nothing worse than a 1930's that sticks out funny in front.

trapp

Practically Family
Anyone get a Pioneer yet? I'm dying to see some fit pics. I've been thinking about ordering my first Aero and this might have to be it. Could the pleat be managed in brown fqhh or would the stiffness pose a problem?

Graemsay

Practically Family
I saw the two sample Pioneers today. No fit pics because they're size 38, and I'm a 48. :)

There are two kinds of Kudu: The pebble grained style seen on the Aero site, and one that looks like an extremely distressed Oil Pull. Will reckons that the latter will look fantastic with a few years wear.

There would be no problem doing a centre pleat in FQHH. The design is going to change slightly as Aero are going to add a row of stitches down each side to help it keep its shape.

It's a lovely jacket. Go and buy one.

trapp

Practically Family
Thanks for the update.

The Kudu that looks like distressed oil pull sounds really nice. Would this be a lighter/cooler wearing jacket that fqhh? I'm thinking of getting the highwayman in brown fqhh because that seems so classic, but then would want a pioneer in something that might be more wearable in warmer weather. I live in Northern California, so by warmer I mean 70 degrees tops. Whatever leather I choose needs to look dynamite after it wears in.

Graemsay

Practically Family
No idea. The Kudu is probably of a similar thickness to FQHH, but it's a lot softer. I don't know if they've got any more of the distressed looking leather in, but they're trying to get it.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Aero get the hides as quarters, so they're limited in panel size. That's why the Pioneer looks like it does. They're trying to get complete hides from their supplier.

Oh, and the leather has visible scars in it. :)

wdw

One Too Many
Graemsay, if you've seen it in the flesh, how do you think the length compares to say the HWM?

Graemsay

Practically Family
Graemsay, if you've seen it in the flesh, how do you think the length compares to say the HWM?

I think that it's a bit longer, as the half belt tends to be. Since you're in Edinburgh, why not take a run down to Galashiels and take a look.

wdw

One Too Many
why not take a run down to Galashiels and take a look.

Unfortunately Aero's opening hours aren't user friendly if you have a job, although I could on certain Friday mornings. I'm expecting a Stockman in September, so if completion coincides with a Friday morning I could kill two birds with one stone. I thought half belts were shorter than the HWM, though, but I'm no expert.

Edward

Bartender
The Thirties Halfbelt model is noticeably shorter than a Highwayman, but my Bootlegger (which I believe, offset from aside, shares its cut with the Fifties Halfbelt) is either the same or an inch longer. Very little in it (with all I can slip my hands in my trouser pockets with ease, even with the jacket fastened).

trapp

Practically Family
I really like the styling on this jacket, front and back. I keep going to Aero's site and scrolling through the pictures.

The length looks close enough to the hwm that any difference is probably negligible, esp. considering how many people decide to modify the length of the hwm by and inch or so.

Graemsay

Practically Family
You could just ask Aero to cut the Pioneer to your preferred length. :)

But don't go anywhere near their showroom with a full wallet...

Rack.jpg

zaman fu

Familiar Face
I know that Horween has a "kudu" leather that you can get on some Alden shoes, which is not really hide from a kudu. I wonder if this is similar stuff, knowing that Aero sources from Horween. The following is from Leather Soul's website regarding their Alden kudu Indy Boots:
"Horween’s kudu leather is essentially heavily oiled and hand treated calfskin, done in the same procedure as shell cordovan. Thicker and more dense than the norm, kudu is definitely a rugged and everlasting leather, perfect for our Ultimate Indy Boots."

trapp

Practically Family
Aero clearly uses real kudu, based both on the grain you see in the pictures and on their explanation of the leather sourcing/research involved in developing the pioneer.

I owned a pair of Alden's kudu chukkas and the leather is tough and very nice but, unlike the Areo kudu samples, very uniform. There is no grain or scarring at all on the Alden kudu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL