Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero 'Pioneer'

schitzo

Suspended
I know Alexanders have just recieved an order of Kudu ... but it is mighty thick stuff ( like the heavy Chrome Tanned Steer which Aero had of old) 4-5oz ...... REALLY lovely looking with that reddish almost cordovan hue to the finish .... but too tough for my taste. I can't do 2 year jacket break in's any more :(

For the right jacket though ... it's AMAZING leather.

Hey PL, I put that thing on (the 42 Dakota pictured on the site) and yep it sure is thick leather but it didn't feel too bad at all, or like it would take anything remotely close to 2 years to break. Will asked me how it felt and my answer was it felt like it definitely would cooperate. I think if you get it in the right size it'll be fine. I'm a 38 but somehow that 42 was a great fit for me, which possibly has something to do with the thickness of that leather. I agree it looks awesome but there's no reddish/cordovan hue in any of the three available shades as far as I could see. I think I'm right in saying it's only available for the jackets with smaller panels, in any case, given the heft of it the short fitting Dakota probably is a perfect choice.

The one in 'antique' hide at aero isn't turning any heads IMO and I'd say antique is a rather interesting choice of adjective there, but if they've one up in the regular bugundy-esque stuff now then that'd certainly be worth a look as if it's anything like Cooperson's last acquisition (that one was a beauty) and it's your size you better jump on it quick. Interestingly, from what he said about his (Cooperson) that hide and the stuff AL now has seem to be very different beasts. His, he reported, has drape and malleability whereas the AL one seems an entirely different animal altogether

schitzo

Suspended
I just checked out the two Kudu jackets on the aero page and actually the antique one doesn't look too bad in those pictures. Either it looks a lot better there than in real life or it's a different jacket to the one I saw.

Whatever, the other one will be a great score for someone and I predict it's gone this time next week

simonc

Practically Family
Sadly Kudu is off the menu at Aero i'm going with the Pioneer in the new brown CX FQHH button up front. I'll try to get some construction pics as and when.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I picked up one of the last "heavily scarred" Pioneers in Kudu, not sure when it will be ready, though. Looking forward! :)

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
I'd imagine it'd be Holly or Christine nowadays.:D I tried on that Pioneer too, Zero, and it seemed a bit bigger than a 36, but definitely not a 42. PL's absolutely right, though, it's a hefty hide.

Hi Sloan, I just read your post about the kudu sizing. Been looking at it too but discounted it as too small. I'm 182 cm or 6ft 10, weigh 69 kg and to give you an idea about my sizing:, a Paul Smith suit jacket in 38 slim fit is perfect for me. Do you think the jacket would be possible or is it out of the question and would I do better to visit the competition and have one made to order? Unfortunately I can't make the pilgrimage toGalashiels totry it on, am 6600 km away right now? Would appreciate your input but of course I'm assuming resposability if I order and it doesn't fit.

Edit: currently own an Aero FQHH half belt deluxe in size 40 and frankly, it's too big even with a thick pullover under it. I could easily drop to a 38 in that model but a 36 pioneer might be overdoing it.
Cheers!

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N8000 met Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would definitely say it's closer to a slim 38 than a standard 36, there was no way I could really get away with it. My recommendation would be to get Holly to give you the exact measurements, that should take the guess work out of it (I'd do that quickly before the summer shut-down kicks in). The hide's quite scarred and antiqued too, so I'd give it a good look at before you go for it.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Thanks for that! Meanwhile I found a previous page that quotes an armpit to armpit size of 23 in for the jacket. Even allowing for 2 in less I should definitely be able to pull that off. The other measurements as per AL look fine. But I followed your advice, hooked up my large monitor, took a hard look at the pictures of the jacket on their site and you're right, it really does look extremely scarred -even for kudu- and antiqued. Totally incomparable with pictures of a plain vanilla kudu jacket posted on this thread or for that matter, with the pictures of the size 42 kudu that's marked as sold on AL and which looks a lot better to me. I'll use my brain for once and hold off, see what Alexander leathers can do (about the same price) and look around some more. But first I'm going to change track, literally. Am listening to Copland's piano variations with my headphones on and it's clear he'll never become my favourite composer.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I would definitely say it's closer to a slim 38 than a standard 36, there was no way I could really get away with it. My recommendation would be to get Holly to give you the exact measurements, that should take the guess work out of it (I'd do that quickly before the summer shut-down kicks in). The hide's quite scarred and antiqued too, so I'd give it a good look at before you go for it.

Are they having a summer shutdown then? I know they usually do but Holly told me back in the spring that they weren't this year. Actually is Holly dealing with customers at all still? I thought Denny had taken that over.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
We are no longer closing for August trade holidays as we have done in the past . We feel that whilst we have such a long waiting list it is far more important to stay open and work on customers orders . Holly is still very much dealing with customers whilst i am more involved in the production side .

The Kudu marked as a 36 is one of the very early Pioneers patterns and is more like a size 38 in size , pit to pit is 22.5" , sleeve 26" and back 24" . Xenophon i'm sure chest wise it would fit you fine . The sleeve length is good also i think ( measure your Half-belt deluxe as a guide )

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Jacket arrived, awesome! The hide is fantastic and not even remotely as scarred as I expected from what Holly said. Bit wide in the shoulders, though, but that seems to be the general Aero-fit, as seen on most photos posted here. Pics soon - too hot for that now! ;)

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
As promised, finally some pics of my new jacket, worn. :D

Pioneer1_zps4afcf3fb.jpg

Pioneer2_zps45348558.jpg

Pioneer3_zps7c6fa017.jpg

And some to show the incredible grain and colour:

Pioneer7_zps984c095e.jpg

Pioneer6_zps9240c8a6.jpg

Pioneer4_zps0c3e314c.jpg

Pioneer5_zps9250373d.jpg

Pics are still a bit small?? Anyway, nice jacket!:D

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Thanks Simon. Yes, I've seen (and adored) your HH-Pioneer , very tasteful mods, I must say. Mine is my grab-to-go-jacket, very versatile. Loving it. Despite the fact that I sometimes critisize Aero a bit, I still think their workmanship and knowledge is quite outstanding and I'm very happy to own two of their jackets. :D Very amusing to visit the mall and compare products... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart