Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Premium Slim Fit 1930's Half Belt

pauleway

Practically Family
Sleeve length looks perfect, and body length looks good to me (and I am fussy about these two things). Not a big fan of the larger style collar, but that is a very nice jacket, wear it well!!

Peacoat

Bartender
Of course length is personal to all of us. I would much rather have mine a little longer than a little shorter. While yours could be 1/2" shorter, it isn't worth the worry you have already put into it. If it were my jacket, I wouldn't do a thing to it other than wear it.

BTW, it looks the business.* Great jacket. You did well.

*See, I have remembered some of the English slang you taught me several years ago. I could have said, "It looks a treat," which my wife likes better. So that is what I use when she is around. She likes your jacket also, and says the length is perfect.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
That is one great looking half belt jacket. I'd be most tempted to purchase one, myself. And, in my opinion, I think that the length of it looks fine, as well.

- Ian

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
As the multitudes have already said, that HB is absolutely on the money, fit is perfect and for me, that's the sweet spot for length.

Just wear it and enjoy it.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Great pattern and great fit. Good work!

Nice to see Aero making a collar with a little character. Those nondescript square collars are not appealing.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket and fit. The half belt already makes the jacket look shorter to the eye; I think it falls within the right threshold on the back. I agree that length perception is personal. The only reason to send it back is if you specified the length yourself and they got it wrong. If that's the case, then sending it back should be covered by Aero. Otherwise, if it was generally accepted going in what the measurements would be, then I see this as solely a question of personal preference. Great jacket. Enjoy!

schitzo

Suspended
in fairness, if I ever find myself with a jacket an inch too long and a desire for 20 men to tell me it aint so, reckon I'll know where to come!

Of course, all of you are right, sort of. Coop's jacket isn't too long and if he bought one of these off the rack I dare say he'd be content and would not be questioning the length like this. But the point here, I think, is that this was custom built for Cooperson ergo he wants it to be the perfect length for him, not just one that's OK. Anything other than what he feels is optimal will naturally lead to contemplation, as this is the attraction of tailor made is it not? No doubt there are plenty of us here who can fully empathise with this kind of post-buy reflection. Some have opined that the length is spot on, but IMO I feel that optimal would be for the model to fit in line with how it was designed to be worn. Otherwise, why choose this model?

Granted, this 'optimal length' that we're talking about does afford a bit of leeway - we don't all wear our trousers equally high, or as high as they did then, and I think it fair to surmise that Cooperson is definitely not from the armpit high trouser brigade - though I would say not a great deal. IMHO the overall appearance for jackets like this that have the dip at the front should be SHORT. I think they should just about cover the belt at the back, and not necessarily all of it at the front.

In summary then, if this model doesn't look like a short jacket on the person wearing it it's too long. And if short is not what's desired then a different model would be a better bet.

In this game, where we fret over half inches, no matter what you think of Cooperson's jacket I think we would all agree that an inch too long or too short does make a big difference, and never more so than in the case of short jackets. In my case, for example, I'm nearly 6, 2 and with jackets designed for men who are 3 or 4 inches shorter I typically find that one extra inch of length on the body is sufficient adjustment. For me, the length of Coop's jacket would be A OK for a regular HB but for this kind of HB it's an inch too long!

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I believe the difference in what he ordered ("25 1/4") and what he received ("closer to 25 3/4") is less than 1/2 inch. I'm curious as to just how much tolerance the manufacturers allow themselves to deviate from what was ordered, and still be "in tolerance," as they must be allowed some degree of "breathing room." Is 7/16 a whole lot? 5/16? 0.187?

wdw

One Too Many
Don't Aero say on their site 0.5"? When I order, I usually state a minimum and maximum length for the back, although even that's not guaranteed.

schitzo

Suspended
I believe the difference in what he ordered ("25 1/4") and what he received ("closer to 25 3/4") is less than 1/2 inch. I'm curious as to just how much tolerance the manufacturers allow themselves to deviate from what was ordered, and still be "in tolerance," as they must be allowed some degree of "breathing room." Is 7/16 a whole lot? 5/16? 0.187?

Seems to me it was ordered too long to begin with, and that the mistake was then exacerbated by a cutter.
Idk about now, but it used to be that they offered accuracy to within half an inch. If we can agree that one inch is enough to throw off the length of a jacket, then I think this thread illustrates perfectly what an absolute minefield picking out the correct lengths truly is! Get it just half an inch out yourself, and then if the cutter follows suit in the same direction, as it would appear is sadly the case here for our mate Cooperson.. then voila! You're frigged

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
From Aero's website on custom builds: "This leaves us no options other than to be unable to guarantee measurements of a finished jacket to be any more precise than to be within ½" of requirements. This minimal discrepancy means nothing on a leather jacket, a few weeks wear and any leather jacket starts to form itself to the wearer's body and even an inch one way or the other will be totally hidden in the overall ambiance of a broken in jacket."

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I dont agree. When walking about, squatting sometimes to pick something up or looking at something on a lower shelf ang going about, my trousers move more then 0.5" they do NOT stay at the exact same place.

Because of this, I think 0.5" does not matter. In fact I think its better to be 0.5 more to be able to cover the belt after a short walk or in/out of the car. I assume the OP ajusted his clothing before pictures but the most part of the day the pants will be lower then they are right after adjustement.

I had a halfbelt that I specified to exact. It came in 0.5" shorter, so it was exactly 0.5" short. This worked with high pants adjusted up all through the day. I dont want to have to think about stuff like this so better 0.5" more, to cover a normal walking around-day.

I also so seriously question "the fit" of everyone living at the times this was mainstream that they all ended at the exact same spot. I would be extremely surprised, almost crazy-shocked if fact is that people at the time noticed 0.5" and they werent the maker of the jacket or working with fashion.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Stop it, Schitz! I am all for shorter jackets, but Cooperson has a different preference as clearly demonstrated by his specs. You are spoiling a great jacket for him. 0.5" deviation from the specs is normal. You just can't work more precise with these heavy leathers. http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/custom.php

It's nice to finally see a good collar from Aero. I requested a similar one when ordering my 30s halfbelt. If I were to choose between the regular 30s halfbelt and this new version I would pick the new one. To me it seems as if Aero have gone through a very positive development since Ken came back on board. So many new, improved designs, so much creativity. And the customer service is stellar. What's not to like?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Whatever opinions one has on the jacket's length, I think most here agree that this one belongs in the coveted list of "Best Aeros Ever Posted On The Lounge".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran