Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Akubra "R.M."

carter

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic: After watching Night of the Lepus on TCM last night, I now wonder if Imperial rabbit felt is derived from some overgrown killer bunnies in OZ.

Night of the Lepus starts out with a commentator discussing the rabbit problem in Australia. The story then shifts to rural Arizona and rancher Cole Hillman (Rory Calhoun) who's having his herd threatened by the overgrazing of an out of control rabbit population. Enter the local doctor Elgin Clark (played by who else than DeForest Kelly) who enlists the help of a couple of researcher Roy and Gerry Bennett (played by film tough guy Stuart Whitman and scream queen Janet Leigh). The Bennetts try hormone therapy on some test rabbits and wouldn't you know it, one of them is accidentally set loose by their daughter Amanda (who pays by having this as her last big role).

The freed rabbit does what all good rabbits do and soon there's a whole herd of overgrown killer rabbits! :eek: Soon the locals start getting all chewed up and it's up to Roy and Cole to warn the townspeople. As thousands of man-eating rabbits approach town, it's a battle of man versus lepus for their very existence. A true drive-in classic.

Of course, this has no direct bearing on the RM from Akubra. So...never mind. [huh] :) :eek:fftopic:

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lettuce Entertain You?

Colby Jack said:
Well...here's the link...The R.M. is a killer hat!:eusa_clap :D ...Hey...I tried...[huh]

I ain't no phoney.
Said the killer coney.
Hutch was fine.
No baloney.
Under the Star_sky.
With a glass of wine.
A dram of whiskey.
Soon you'll be mine.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Finally saw it, CJ! ;)

I am pretty convinced that the R.M. and the Campdraft are essentially the same hat -- but the R.M. happens to come with the particular bash favored by R.M. Williams himself. I don't own a Campdraft, so I can't really do a side-by-side comparison. My R.M. has a feeling of being substantial and rugged, but it is also soft to the touch. Honestly, it's a really nice combination. The hat popped back into an open crown without any problem, and was very easy to crease. This one is my go-to hat if the weather happens to be nasty, and it has held up beautifully. I would also observe that my particular lid has a brim that is just shy of 3", and the crown is full -- so, I really think of it as an outdoors lid, versus something that I would wear around town.

I think it is one terrific hat! :)

Just for good measure, here are a couple of more recent photos...

AkubraRM3.jpg

AkubraRM4.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Jimmy
Would you say the brim is floppy...Would the brim blow up in the wind...or does it retain some stiffness?...I'm trying to see if it is in anyway like my Adventurer...got it in a 7 1/2 and I'd like something similar in a 7 5/8 (61)...
...also...Dang!...it's a beauty!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Thanks...the Adventurer is really floppy...almost like it never went through the stiffener phase...It holds a steamed shape...but you can actually fold it and it will pop back in shape...

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
It would really be great if the R.M. was a heritage felt, rather than imperial felt.
Otherwise, we're just paying more for the name, because it really is a Camp Draft in disguise...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace