Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Akubra Squatter!

Ugarte

A-List Customer
The Squatter I won on OFAS arrived yesterday. I've been feeling a bit under the weather, but I wanted to get some pics up.

I'm pretty sure this is a hat to be worn snapped down all around, but here are some pics of it snapped up in the back.

Initially, I was inclined to do something other than the C-bash that is well and firmly creased into the hat, but given the way it fits (shorter crown) and the shape of my head, I don't know if I can wear it any other way.

At any rate, it's my brown hat. I'm more inclined to think of it as a daily cover, but it could be dressed up a bit with some shape. I'll be working on it. Let me know what you think. I'm going to go try to clean that smudge off my wall. :)

Mark

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
Ugarte! great find!:eusa_clap I think the bash looks great. I have never seen a picture of someone wearing that hat before (only in catalog). Real nice! by the way, I like that Champ u posted too.

carter

I'll Lock Up
That's a very good hat for you, Mark. I like the bound edge and the color of the binding and ribbon. They make a nice presentation. Looks to me like you can wear the brim either up or down in the back. It just depends on how you feel the day you wear it. Your hat collection is coming together nicely.

CatFisH

New in Town
Colby Jack said:
Now I just need to see a Bushman on someone....

Bushman

TulipPoplarflower1R.jpg

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another fine hat, Ugarte. Looking closer at the side view of the brim down all the way around, I see a curvature to the brim that leads me to believe that it's used to being "up" in back, since most hats that are brim down all around have relatively flat brims, or very slight curve if any at all. Not that you can't wear it that way, or that it doesn't look fine. Really, I think it's the effect of the brim binding because brim binding gives a brim "snap" resulting from the tightening effect on the circumference of the brim. It probably causes that characteristic I see in that shot.

dean

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Thank you gentlemen for all the support and validation. I thank you and my hat thanks you. Good looking Bushman Catfish. Would love to see more.

And Dean, I think you're judgment about the brim is spot on. This hat is in good shape, but I think it needs to be steamed out and recreased, not necessarily reblocked.

If you look closely at the front view, you can see that the pinch is off center a bit and the brim has some odd asymmetry to it. That's not bad in and of itself, I just happen to think it is a less than attractive asymmetry that I can correct.

If it works out as I anticipate, I can wear it down all around for casual and snap the back up for a dressier look. At least, that's the plan.

In the meantime I'm a happy guy.

Thanks again chaps.

Mark

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Nice lid, Ugarte. So long as you're going to steam it and re-crease it, you might consider making the crown a tad taller. Right now, the hat kind of squats on your head (pun totally intended :D). In all seriousness though, given the shape of your face, a slightly taller crown might look killer. Just a thought.

Cheers,
JtL

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Great lids on you both!

That verdant green foliage looks like GA, TN and/or NC before we entered this 2 year long drought.

What sort of taxinomial work are you up to there, CatFisH?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Hey, Ugarte, I thought I was the only one who had discovered the Squatter! I have a straight crease in the top of mine. I thought it was just too short at the time to look right with a C/diamond/cross dent crown. It's about a 5 1/4" or so crown when open. I think mine was close to 5 1/2".

I keep the brim up in the back. I don't generally like them down in the back, unless it's a western hat with a larger brim.

Here's mine when new. It's a lot browner looking than it is in the photos.
TawnyFawn2.jpg

TawnyFawn1.jpg

CatFisH, I like that Bushman. Been thinkin' about getting one, but I think I've reached the limit of my hat budget lately. What are you doing in that picture, picking mayapples? Stay out of the poison oak.

CatFisH

New in Town
Ugarte...I considerd the Squatter myself but settled for the Bushman....that gray Squatter will likely be my next purchase...

after reading here for a bit, I'm somewhat different in dress....I'm a forester by education and profession and don't own a suit, blue blazer or silk tie...so hats for me are a utilitarian necessity...as are overhauls and knee high rubber boots...

hat21R.jpg

most of my time is spent in or near swamps...

hat24R.jpg

hat23R.jpg

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Welcome CatFish...that Bushman looks great also!!!! It's got a Borso/OR kinda style to it!:eusa_clap Where, may I ask, did you get yours?...Also...what color is it?
CJ

CatFisH

New in Town
CJ....I got mine from David Morgan...it was a tough pick but the Bushman won...after seeing Ugarte's Squatter, I'm tempted to order one...

Rooster

Practically Family
When I first got my squatter I wore it with a "open road" styled bash.
squatter2.jpg

Now I have a more traditional fedora styled look to it.
mct1.jpg

me2.jpg

I love this hat, and wear it all the time.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
CatFisH said:
after reading here for a bit, I'm somewhat different in dress....I'm a forester by education and profession and don't own a suit, blue blazer or silk tie...so hats for me are a utilitarian necessity...as are overhauls and knee high rubber boots...

hat23R.jpg

Hey, are you makin' fun of me?
Work1.jpg

HAH! A fellow suit-less fedora lounger! Welcome! :D

Dang, Rooster, get yourself an iron, man! :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR