Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Alexander Leather Roadster too tight?

Bullitt

New in Town
Yesterday I received an Alexander Leather Roadster in black goatskin. So far I like the leather and the quality of the jacket. It is an old label jacket and the price was very attractive.

Unfortunately I am not quite sure if this is a good fit and I might return the jacket. I chose my regular size, 38, and checked the measurements on the website. It feels ok when I wear it open, but when I zip it up it feels restrictive and is rather tight across the chest, just where the pockets are. There seems to be not enough space around the chest and too much at the back. You can see the greases under the pockets on the detail photo. I guess this might be good for riding a motorcycle in a hunched-over position, but otherwise it looks and feels a bit strange.

Please let me know what you think. Thank you very much in advance.

p.s. There is a similar post here, but I chose to start my own thread instead of kidnapping an existing one.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...cket-Roadster-Smooth-Steer&highlight=roadster

Last edited:
Looks too tight to me when zipped. When I look at the Alexander measurements, I would need to go up 1 size. So a 40 would probably do you better.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Agreed, I'd go up a size. And if possible, I'd add about 1/2" more in the sleeve length- though, maybe by upsizing you will achieve this?

Stand By

One Too Many
Nice jacket! And welcome - thanks for posting ...

Alas Bullitt, my 2 cents is that, if it feels as though the jacket is wearing you and not the other way 'round, I'd say it's too small. It looks fine on the back and maybe a little snug on the front, but not overly so (and many here like a trim cut) - but it doesn't matter how it looks - it's how it feels IMHO.
And let's face it, fellas our age aren't getting any slimmer as time goes by - we only fill out slowly - so if it was me, I know I'd let it go - to allow for some slight variance in weight - and layers - and keep hunting for something that doesn't distract you with any feelings of constriction ...
I'm sorry if that's not the answer you were hoping for, but I reckon it's well worth the effort and extra pullava to return the jacket and get something right - as you're dropping some serious coin (that takes some saving for these days, let's be honest) and investing in the jacket that'll serve you for many years to come - and you deserve it to be right. As I always say, if in doubt, bale out. You won't be here asking us when you know it's right ... ;)
Good luck!

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
It is a bit tight at the front. I've got exactly the same four pocket Roadster in black goat and I like it a lot. You have to ask yourself if the pulling at the front is bad enough to send it back when as a sale jacket it was probably about half the full price, and whether you can still get a bigger one in the same sale. Different if it was a full price one.

If not you could just live with it and maybe not do it up all the way. It will stretch a bit with use too. For what it's worth I don't think it's that bad. It certainly wouldn't have small children pointing at you in the street and laughing.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I'm with the crowd on this one.. if you think its tight then its tight. but it is nowhere near unwearable, actually I think it looks OK. Is there another one in your size available at the same price? I would think that sale items are "non refundable". The goat does look good. I say keep it

Edward

Bartender
Certainly no point in owning aj acket you'll never wear, no matter how it fits... Looks fine at the back, to my eye... not sure I'd want to go bigger there, but yes, a little tight on the front panel exactly where you point out.

thor

Call Me a Cab
The jacket's shoulder point (where top of sleeve meets body) squares up nicely on you. If you go a size up, the shoulder point will be wider and you'll get a slightly off-the-shoulder (and less fitted) look. Just something to consider when sizing up in a jacket.

NICE looking jacket!

armscye

One of the Regulars
To my eye, the fit is not at all too tight-- the shoulder drops vertically, the rear view actually shows some excess material around the chest, and the overall fit looks "Thirties trim". If the owner needs to wear the jacket with a fisherman's sweater, it may be too small, but with the tee-shirt shown, it looks good.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
For me it is perfect.
But as others said: you have to feel comfortable with the jacket and it is a question of personal taste.

Gancho

IXL

One Too Many
While the jacket is zipped up, can you reach up with either hand and touch the opposite shoulder with no difficulty?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Just looked of the AL outlet page and they don't have any others like this in a bigger size.

Clearly you are the one who's going to wear it but if it was me I would keep it for the money. It looks fine to me, if a little bit tight at the front perhaps but it hardly notices, and many here who like slim fitted leather jackets would say it's a perfect fit.

handymike:

I think that's just the cut. Mine is a bit like that too. It's not quite as pulled across the chest but it is tighter there when zipped up than the back is. I got mine in the introductory sale so I was happy with the fit since it wasn't made for me, and I paid a little bit more than this cost too.

Edward

Bartender
The jacket's shoulder point (where top of sleeve meets body) squares up nicely on you. If you go a size up, the shoulder point will be wider and you'll get a slightly off-the-shoulder (and less fitted) look. Just something to consider when sizing up in a jacket.

Yes, it might simply be a case that the cut / proportions of this particular design don't quite work for everyone. I've found that myself in the past with some other jacket patterns.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Good point Edward; some jacket patterns just don't lend themselves to certain body types/physiques. I suppose that's the biggest drawback to buying a leather jacket (even one that's custom-made) on-line with no try-on.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Its a difficult one this. Back looks loose but it pulls across the chest, I would say it has to be the cut. Why not email the photos to AL and see what they suggest. I would also ask for another 1/2 to 1" on the sleeves, if they offer to make another jacket, but that's just a personal thing.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Its a difficult one this. Back looks loose but it pulls across the chest, I would say it has to be the cut. Why not email the photos to AL and see what they suggest. I would also ask for another 1/2 to 1" on the sleeves, if they offer to make another jacket, but that's just a personal thing.

But it's a half price sale jacket. So presumably he keeps it or gets his money back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran