Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Bill Kelso - Custom Aeronaut In Russet Liberty Horsehide

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Great marketing, isn’t it Sloan?

Every FB-post of BK is making it worse. Actually, I’ve tried to help them out by posting some photos here, so they don’t have to post anything but their newly made jackets. And then they use the photos (btw without a heads-up) to come up with yet another sad post.

I mean they can use them, no problem. However, I find it nice to tell me for what.

My jacket is "naut a Campus”! I mean seriously, are they just lucky that they’re copying from the smaller companies? A bigger company would most certainly sue them, wouldn’t it?

My jacket is now called “Loki”.

You've done all you can... at least you got a very nice jacket. (and yes, common courtesy is you ask to use the jacket images, and as you said, almost all of us just say yes when asked)

I had a friend (past tense) who was actually the best man at my wedding. Brilliant guy, PhD in a science field, very funny, but incredibly self destructive. I made excuse after excuse for him, telling people that had to just know him better, they didn't understand him, etc... I finally gave up and realized it was just who he was.

pawineguy

One Too Many
In terms of trade-mark infringement, it's a risky move to use the same or very similar names for very similar or identical goods. (Identical in the trade-marksense, which is as simple as 'old-fashioned leather jackets'). Based on posts above (I've not looked at the Facebook), it sounds like they've done the sensible thing and changed the name of the 'Campus' model. If they're sensible, they'll change the "Aeronaut" too.

I love that Denny Calder just asked him to do that on BK's Facebook page.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
The Bretronaut

0F977F4F-F89F-41B0-A7D3-4CA1DFE708C7.jpg

6086AFF1-7C7A-42CC-B16D-C14F38B06BA0.jpg

4CE93D26-AC33-48BE-B589-7B59BA8B6012.jpg

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
The "Aeronaut" made its debut shortly after Aero leathers launched the "Aeromarine"- their version of the civi-A1. That's when the naming problems first began.

I mentioned fantasy fiction alluding to BK's marketing hyperbole, but perhaps they could change the name to a Scoresby jacket. The character in the book flew a balloon and was known as an aeronaut.

A-1

One Too Many
I must stop reading their fb posts and comments. They upset me every time.

@Bret Love the Bretronaut and like to see Bret sporting it.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The "Aeronaut" made its debut shortly after Aero leathers launched the "Aeromarine"- their version of the civi-A1. That's when the naming problems first began.

Aero names its A-1 repro the "AeroMarine" . . . Aero + Marine

"Marine" = "relating to the sea" ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/marine )

Shortly thereafter, BK names its A-1 repro the "AeroNaut" . . . Aero + Naut

"Naut" = Nautical ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/naut )

"Nautical" = "relating to ships and sailing" ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nautical )

So, Aero names its A-1 repro the "AeroMarine" . . . Aero + relating to the sea

Shortly thereafter, BK names its A-1 repro the "AeroNaut" . . . Aero + relating to ships and sailing

IMHO, the foregoing is no coincidence. On its FB page, BK claims that "we came up with 'Aeronaut' from the ancient Greek 'Argonaut'." If thats the case, why didn't BK name the jacket the "Argonaut"? Instead, BK changed the "Argo" to "Aero" and, in so doing, used a name for its A-1 repro that is nearly the same as the name previously used by Aero for its A-1 repro.

To make matters worse, BK admittedly copied Himel's Heron as its A-1 repro. Thereafter, when adding slash pockets to the jacket, BK copied the "Campus" name previously used by Mister Freedom.

At least BK is consistent.

"Argonaut" would have been great...and in keeping with their roots. :)
The "Heracles" was genius! I only wish they'd carried it onto the labels.
Oh well, missed opportunities.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If anyone ever comes out with another work coat with hidden pockets used for questionable activities, I elect to call it "The Charlatan".

A-1

One Too Many
I don’t know if it counts, but I deeply dislike the name “Cadet”.

Another thing: It also feels wrong to take pictures of a modified jacket according to the wishes by a customer, without informing her/him, pretending it to be a new design they’ve come up with, giving it a name without asking the customer’s opinion or even thoughts on it. Just sayin’....

I was trying to do something good for BK here. Right now I’m feeling kind of duped (excuse me if that is not the correct word. It’s hard for me as a non-native speaker to find the fitting phrases sometimes/often).

I also don’t know if I’m going to share new evolutional photos of the “Loki” here as it’s advertisement for a brand I don’t feel like supporting anymore.

Maybe I'm overreacting, I don’t know. Going to bed now and thinking about it, hehe.

Good night.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Shame the labels have fallen out of these. Sure the one below is a well worn Himel...

Maybe te claims of originating any vintage style of jacket is a bit outlandish. Appropriated maybe.

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Shame the labels have fallen out of these. Sure the one below is a well worn Himel...

Maybe te claims of originating any vintage style of jacket is a bit outlandish. Appropriated maybe.

You don't seem to be following along. No one claims that Himel invented the style... also, no one claims that "Campus" had never been used on a jacket before. Google "Campus" leather jacket and see what pops up. (and please don't tell me that a company naming a product wouldn't take at least that step before using a name) Wow, someone is already using the same name! And for the same jacket! What are the odds??

The "Aeronaut" was pretty shameless but this is even worse. I'm not a fan of people who claim to be better than everyone else at what they do one minute, and then turn around and plead ignorance (regularly) the next. And frankly, what he did to Aero over on VLJ during the making of the "Heracles" jacket was even lower than "namegate."

bretron

Call Me a Cab
"College" "campus" "varsity" aka a slash pocket utility cossack, generally featuring knit cuffs, waist and collar... Yes, MF coined his version the "campus", but I dunno. Guess I'm not as taken back on this one? No bother, we'll see what tomorrow brings :D ;) (it's like staring at the sun I tell you!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner