Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Bonnie and Clyde... what do you think?

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I'm pretty sure there is already a thread about this-- I know I participated in it the last time this topic came up for discussion.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Awful, glitzy, Big Hollywood casting choice.

The B & C story needs an indie kick: a modest budget and some untried kid actors.

But indies don't do remakes, retro, or history.* Those genres need lots of influence, and the promise of conventional treatment, to get the greenlight.

*Retro is ok if it's some unsung novella about mixed-race same-sex heroin-addicted lovers in wartime Algiers that's only been read by six people in Brooklyn, one of whose roommates knows somebody whose brother-in-law is a distributor.
History is ok if a story along the above lines can be verified as at least a little bit true.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Beatty Dunaway version is such an icon and landmark film for so many reasons that I could barely state here, especially while typing on my iPhone. However, another take wouldn't be out of the question, especially in regards to some of the personal issues of both Ms Parker and Mr Clyde.

Still, remaking this material is like trying to remake Butch and Sundance. You could do it, but you had better cast Clooney and Pitt and an incredible director.

Shaky grounds, My Friends.

Hondo

One Too Many
scotrace said:
It's so off the map there must be more to it or it's a joke. Like Hanna Montana is going to play Ilsa Lund.

I give up! "Whatever" as the saying goes, she looks more like Faye Dunaway
than Bonnie Parker, what is wrong with this generation?
Remakes for the younger set :eusa_doh:

texasgirl

One Too Many
This IS an independent movie, not a big budget by any means. And it is not a remake of the Beatty movie, which is mostly untrue anyway. It is going to be a movie about Bonnie and Clyde. The woman directing says she is really going to tell the true story, so lets not all jump to conclusions. I think the casting for Clyde is actually great. I'm not quite sure about Hillary, I wish they has found someone who looked a little more like Bonnie. Cloris Leachman is also attached and Michael Madsen I believe is playing Frank Hamer.

RBH

Bartender
texasgirl said:
This IS an independent movie, not a big budget by any means. And it is not a remake of the Beatty movie, which is mostly untrue anyway. It is going to be a movie about Bonnie and Clyde. The woman directing says she is really going to tell the true story, so lets not all jump to conclusions. I think the casting for Clyde is actually great. I'm not quite sure about Hillary, I wish they has found someone who looked a little more like Bonnie. Cloris Leachman is also attached and Michael Madsen I believe is playing Frank Hamer.
Thanks!

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Really?!?

They don't need to do another remake. Back in 1992 there was a made for TV movie called, "Bonnie & Clyde: The True Story." I saw this on TV just last week and was very impressed. Tracey Needham played Bonnie and Dana Ashbrook played Clyde. It was filmed at many of the East Texas locations where Bonnie and Clyde began their criminal career and the film drew upon the accounts of relatives, friends and others who knew them.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Eh...

In all honesty, what angle can they take with this? Bonnie and Clyde's story has been romanticized, publicized, and condensed down so many times that it doesn't seem like another film could do anything better than the original. The original was great because it gave us characters who we could learn, understand, and yes, even relate to on some level. But putting an already romanticized story through the hoops of hollywood storytelling? I just don't see how they could tell a more interesting... or more human story.

texasgirl

One Too Many
An update- filming had been put on hold, but will begin in early 2010. Here is the cast:

Hilary Duff: Bonnie Parker

Kevin Zegers: Clyde Barrow

Thora Birch: Blanche Barrow

Taryn Manning: Mary O'Dare

Michael Madsen: Frank Hamer

Lee Majors: Warden Lee Simmons

Cloris Leachman: Cumie Barrow

Rance Howard: Henry Barrow

Lily Matland Holly: Marie Barrow

Peter Coyote: Sheriff Schmid

Dee Wallace: Emma Parker

Tess Harper: Governor Ma Ferguson

High Pockets

Practically Family
It may have a shot, (in my opinion anyhow), of actually being better than the 1967 version,.....which is a motion picture I never cared for and probably will not watch again.

I'm looking forward to more information on the production of this movie as well as more info on the making of True Grit,......which reportedly will actually follow the book this time.

:) What would your doubts have been 42 years ago when you heard Gene Wilder was going to be in the cast of a new Bonnie and Clyde movie.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No Buck? Clyde's brother, Blanche's husband?
4186314094_73456eefcb_o.png

They have Blanche, they have to have Buck!

High Pockets

Practically Family
After Googling the actors and actresses listed above, I must say they at least resemble the persons they are portraying,.....much more than those in the 1967 film did.

Mike S.

New in Town
With typical Hollywood ineptness regarding topics historical, it is obvious that they are attempting make a remake of the Dunaway/Beatty film (a great film in it's own right, but certainly not a proper biopic of the real people), and not an accurate depiction of the lives of the real Bonnie and Clyde.

Pathetic casting in either case. It is going to look like a budget, made for TV movie.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael