Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW ELC .50CAL A2

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
50 CaLiBer eastman...bang bang

the raison d'etre for this jacket according to eastman is that it comes having had inflicted upon it, "developed treatments to give the new jacket a patina of initial wear (quoting from eastman on this item)"

reminds me of the story about laurence olivier and dustman hoffman during the filming of 'marathon man', where hoffman is about to be tortured by olivier in the movie, and hoffman stayed awake for a few days and was running around a track to tire himself more...

olivier reputedly said: "Have you tried acting, dear boy?"

i'd respectfully say to those who want their a-2s to look worn out of the box, instead, "have you tried wearing them?"

respectfully, as aLways,
johnnyjohnny

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I half expected the jacket to have 1/2" holes with singed edges.

Who picked that name? '50 mission' would have been far more appropriate, or just call it what it is: Weathered.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
The Wingnut said:
I half expected the jacket to have 1/2" holes with singed edges.

Who picked that name? '50 mission' would have been far more appropriate, or just call it what it is: Weathered.

lol lol lol Maybe this is on the cards for next year...........

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
eastman A2

Apologies in advance because I'm sure this might enrage the purists. I bought an Eastman 'Pearl Harbour' in May, and thought some photos might be of interest. I would expect the weathering on the new 50cal to be similar, but of course I cannot qualify that. I've worn this jacket perhaps a dozen times and already it looks far more broken in than an HH ELC A2 I have, which is around 10 years old. Maybe it's because this one is steer? It also fits me a lot better, they are both 44" but this Pearl edition sits across the shoulders just right. I know it's not the same as an original, or the same as breaking in a new jacket, but I've never liked the look of spanking new jackets - I guess it's a kind of impatience.
It's a strange thing, this repro market - I wouldn't want a fake Rolex on my
wrist, or a forged Singer Sargent on my wall. But I'm more than happy to have a repro A2 on my back. You might say it's because I don't know any better, but sometimes it's nice to be happy with what you have.........

A21.jpg

A22.jpg

A23.jpg

A24.jpg

A25.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I guess a lot of folks out there want a jacket that already has a worn in appearance from the off, rather than having to break it in themselves. Even here on the lounge, we have a lot of folks posting regularly looking for ways to accelrate the breaking in of a jacket. I've seen this sort of phenomenon elsewhere too (Fender's Relic Series guitars, to be precise). There are many reasons forf it, though I often wonder whether in large part it is down to the 'instant gratification' culture - we don't want to have to wait for a jacket to break in, we want it now.... Personally, I enjoy the process of breaking things in myself, though I realise that not everyone does, for some it's more a chore. I'm often amused by the fact that these broken-in items of clothing, pre-distressed and whatnot, are so often significantly more expensive than the models not so treated. horsehide jackets will last well enough even after that, though I do recall seeing a label on a pair of Levis years ago - an expensive, pre-distressed pair - which said something to the effect that due to the predistressed finish, the wearer shouls not expect them to last as long as a regular pair...... nowt as odd as folks, eh?

As to this ELC jacket itself.... it looks like a rather nice jacket to me. The details are interesting - in particular, the rust coloured knits, a new offering from ELC. Actually the jacket as a whole reminds me a lot of Aero's Real Deal A2. I'm sure there are subtle differences I'm not seeing, but what I'm noticing here are the rust knits, and the bottoms of the pockets, which appear to be very square, just like the Aero. It's a good looking jacket and I'm sure of a very high standard (though no doubt Stonesfan, if he's still around, will be along with a very damning verdict in a minute or two :p ), though this ELC is a touch more that I'd consider paying for an A2 myself - I think I'd be looking for something like a B6 for that kind of scratch. But of course I'm comparing that with regular A2s where you aren't paying for the breaking-in to be done for you. [huh]

ETA: after posting the above, I saw Ethan's post.... definitely agree, sometimes it is nice to be happy just with what falls within your budget. I have a couple of fake Rolexes myself lol , though they were bought as I liked them as watches rather than for the brand. Seems to me that the flight jacket market is one of the few where the market actually does place a fair value on reproductions, I guess because it is the closest most of us can realistically aspire to afford, probably also because many of us would be wary of wearing a valuable piece of history on a regular basis.

If you're a large-ish size 40, there's an Aero A-2 with rust knits & deadstock Talon etc. at Portobello market that's been sitting on a stall for a couple of weeks. He wants £80 for it. It runs pretty big.

It'll probably still be there tomorrow. Short rockabilly-looking chap running the stall.

bk

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Nice looking jacket but...

I'm one of those who prefers to wear my jacket hard to break it in. Most, if not all, Eastman jackets have an aniline finish and the surface will get roughed up pretty quickly. I personally don't see a need to have the process accelerated at the factory.

That said, I think Eastman jackets are well built and would not hesitate to buy another - this one just isn't for me.

Noel

1911 Man

A-List Customer
At first glance, I really like that jacket.

I only have one high end repro A2, and it's an Aero, 1940 contract. I chose that over the 42 anniversary model because it is supposed to be slimmer fitting, and I thought I preferred collar stands. I might have been wrong on that part.

I had initially considered an Eastman for my A2, I really liked the Star Sportswear model, but in discussing with others, ended up buying the Aero, partly because I loved the rust colored knits. I understand Eastman does make a fantastic A2, but I also like the idea of breaking in a jacket myself.

So it is very nice to look at, and thank you for posting.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Lovely jacket Ethan. That's the first time I have seen pics of a Pearl Harbor one other than the pics on ELC's site. Looks wonderfully worn in now.

tonypaj

Practically Family
ethanedwards said:
It's a strange thing, this repro market - I wouldn't want a fake Rolex on my
wrist, or a forged Singer Sargent on my wall. But I'm more than happy to have a repro A2 on my back. You might say it's because I don't know any better, but sometimes it's nice to be happy with what you have.........

The only thing that makes me wonder with the A2 repro enthusiast stuff is the infinite discussion about the most minute details, the condemnation of some jackets as "mall jackets", etc.

Then you see pictures of these same jackets being worn, with mall jeans, mall shirts, crummy shoes, mall haircuts, baseball caps... Why are the jacket details so important, but the rest of one's demeanor not?

I like A2 jackets, though, and John Chapman's stuff looks really great, though not on him :)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This new A2 appears to be based on the Aero 21991 contract. I own two originals from this contract and IMO its one of the best A2 contracts. This is first time in several years Gary has produced an A2 with berry knits. Personally I like it and will check it out at Duxford's Flying Legends Airshow.

tonypaj

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Hope he's not reading this thread, then.

B
T

I don't mind if he is... The man makes by all accounts magnificent jackets, the A-1 especially looks great, I plan to acquire one myself. His jackets deserve to be the centerpiece, but they also deserve the supporting cast on the same level...

tonypaj said:
I don't mind if he is... The man makes by all accounts magnificent jackets, the A-1 especially looks great, I plan to acquire one myself. His jackets deserve to be the centerpiece, but they also deserve the supporting cast on the same level...

Huh..? I don't get it...
I don't see a thing wrong with how John wears his jackets...though he may wear different sizes in some photos. Whatta ya want?...Him in full uniform??
I don't wear my A2s with Khakis...tie and a crusher. Maybe he figures that most buyers don't either.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff