Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Enthusiast - in need of help

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, like others have said go very lightly with conditioner, like putting on skin cream on your skin or hair product take a small dollop with your finger melt it with your fingers and massage it on the dry part of the jacket dont over do it you dont need to do it to the entire jacket if the dry part just around the elbow or shoulder area for example then condition those areas only. If you sweat on your neck then by the end of the day wipe the inside of the collar with non alcohol wet tissue.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I love what Cal Leathers does but I honestly don't get why people are immediately trying to talk a kid who just came on here to ask for maintenance advice about his (quite nice) jacket into buying another almost identical jacket…

I didn't do that. I simply posted a link to a jacket for him to look at. It happens to be for sale, yes, but it's absolutely a great example of the type of jacket he's interested in, and I thought he'd enjoy the photos.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thomas - very glad you are on here - welcome to Fedora Lounge!

I was also passionate about vintage items when I was 17, however at that time I was still ~ 5' 6" tall and about 125 lbs. I am now 6' 1" tall and ~ 195 lbs. So my folks encouraged me to wait till I was done growing to make many investments into jackets & clothes I wanted to own.

I am really happy you are passionate about these items and the history involved. Far too many young people live in a "throwaway" mindset, and it is highly refreshing to see someone who is very thoroughly learning history and enjoying it. Keep it up, keep learning, keep asking questions and hope we see you around these parts often. :)

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was also passionate about vintage items when I was 17, however at that time I was still ~ 5' 6" tall and about 125 lbs. I am now 6' 1" tall and ~ 195 lbs. So my folks encouraged me to wait till I was done growing to make many investments into jackets & clothes I wanted to own.

I will add to this by noting that I was on this very site as a 5'11, 150-160 lb 16 year old, and am now also 6'1 and 195 lbs.

My approach, which really paid off, was to take a long view and wherever possible buy things that I knew could fit into whatever future wardrobe. This meant getting to know the clothing landscape, and often concentrating on accessories. For instance, I happened to see two Ralph Lauren Black Label ties on deep discount at an outlet mall, where of course the customers were much more interested in fighting over pony tees than anything classic menswear. I still wear those ties often, all these years later.

I had a staple outerwear jacket (a Barbour wax jacket with a quilted lining) that I wore everywhere and another I got a year later. I still wear both regularly. The long game is rewarding.

I love what Cal Leathers does but I honestly don't get why people are immediately trying to talk a kid who just came on here to ask for maintenance advice about his (quite nice) jacket into buying another almost identical jacket…

It think it's 'cause that's how it started for most of us. We all are here because we didn't want to compromise - Even though initially, it all began as a simple quest for a quality leather jacket - thus assume that everyone who went so far as to actually register on TFL to be the same. Even if they don't know this at the moment, as well.

Otherwise, we'd all just watch whatever "Hottest leather jackets 20xx" on Youtube and call it a day.

OP has a really good looking jacket and objectively doesn't need a CAL. It would bring absolutely nothing new to the table.

tomasahoj

Familiar Face
I will add to this by noting that I was on this very site as a 5'11, 150-160 lb 16 year old, and am now also 6'1 and 195 lbs.

My approach, which really paid off, was to take a long view and wherever possible buy things that I knew could fit into whatever future wardrobe. This meant getting to know the clothing landscape, and often concentrating on accessories. For instance, I happened to see two Ralph Lauren Black Label ties on deep discount at an outlet mall, where of course the customers were much more interested in fighting over pony tees than anything classic menswear. I still wear those ties often, all these years later.

I had a staple outerwear jacket (a Barbour wax jacket with a quilted lining) that I wore everywhere and another I got a year later. I still wear both regularly. The long game is rewarding.

I joined mostly because of the culture. When I was younger I used to play a Czech video-game called "Mafia II" which really introduced me to 1950s. Then I was interested in serial killers of the 20th century and one of them (Charles Starkweather) brought me to James Dean because he idolized him. And from then it went down really fast. Watching all the old movies, getting introduced to old actors like Brando, Delon etc...

Fashion was always one of my interests and since it connected with my love for vintage stuff it became really strong. It's really interesting to look at clothes that are 50 years old and see the "character" in them. They have some story to them.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Thomas - very glad you are on here - welcome to Fedora Lounge!

I am really happy you are passionate about these items and the history involved. Far too many young people live in a "throwaway" mindset, and it is highly refreshing to see someone who is very thoroughly learning history and enjoying it. Keep it up, keep learning, keep asking questions and hope we see you around these parts often. :)
wow your grow spurt between 17yrs to 21? was amazing. I think I was 170cm when I got my motorcycle driving license age 16, and my final height is 175cm, growing only around 2"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy