Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Fed Moonstone IV has arrived

deadhead

New in Town
Gentlemen,

I wanted to pass on a few things, and pose a few questions.

My Fed IV arrived today from Hats Direct in Australia. I ordered it on 25 Nov. It's 3 Dec. 'Nough said.

I measured my noggin at 59cm and ordered a 59cm hat. Even though I consider myself a 23" long oval, the 59cm Akubra couldn't really fit better.

Despite the fact it has a three-and-a-half foot crown, the top of my frickin' cranium hits the lid. My hand-bashed, six point diamond looks pretty good on the hat rest, but I think I need to look to a blocked teardrop for the headroom. Is there any kind of rule of thumb that says if the top of your head sticks up through the hat you should look to (fillintheblank) bashes? Please fill in the blank.

Here's one that's probably really off the wall. When you're contemplating the hat cocked to one side or the other, tilted this way or that, do you ever consider how it looks to yourself looking out from under the brim, rather than how it looks to the rest of the whirl?

I remember when I started my home theater craze...

Best Regards,

deadhead

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hi Deadhead -

Well, interesting question. In my view, the top of your head doesn't really have to be banging felt. I don't mind it so when I jam it down hard in a breeze, otherwise I'd prefer a little...uh, headroom.

Here's an interesting conundrum. I have an Akubra Federation III (or so I believe, long story) that has a full 6" crown. With a center dent, it always hit the top of my head. After much time, I finally reshaped it with a telescoped C-crown and all's well. (So you might consider a C or diamond with the center part pushed up, and the dome-y effect steamed in.)

But I now have 3 Federation IV's, all of them measuring 5-1/2" crown height, all now sporting center dents, none of which hit my head. How could that be? Well, the center dents just naturally ended up shallower, meaning they didn't come as far down toward ye noggin. Haven't checked this out, but I think maybe the shape of the IV's was slightly flatter on the top (less rounded) and that made the difference.

So maybe the exact shape of the hat plus your head matters, not just the creasing and height.

Anyway, best of luck - you'll find lots of threads here with examples of different creases.

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR