Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New forum member brand (Rugged West)

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And this ;)
5DDE2BAC-E59B-46E5-B1FC-988D30C59A6B.jpeg

Was supposed to be “Two Tone Brown” with brass buttons. Doesn’t look like the buttons are brass
Those look like silver nickel plated buttons but IMO you are better off with them in terms of color and quality. The original brass buttons were the kind you can buy from Amazon for .99 cents/20,000 count bag.

MrProper

The finished leather did not appeal to me but the suede looks great, nice color.
I'm already very excited. I hope it arrives next week. The first trucker has now become a grab and go jacket. I also like the fact that it has a padded lining and is therefore warmer than my others. And as it got cold again last week...
And it's just so comfortable.
Was supposed to be “Two Tone Brown”
I get a crosszip from the leather. I'm also very excited to see what it will look like in real life. Next week ...
The original brass buttons were the kind you can buy from Amazon for .99 cents/20,000 count bag.
These cheap buttons were immediately replaced by Leilah with donuts for future jackets when she got the feedback.

MrProper

Unfortunately not mine.
I think they look great, considering that Type 1 are not necessarily my cup of tea.
But I'm afraid the leather would be too stiff for me. I could put my CXFQHH Café Racer down like that. I used to think they were cool, but now I find them too uncomfortable.
But who knows how the leather will turn out. Leilah is wearing the black one and will certainly be able to report back soon.

IMG_0177.jpeg IMG_0178.jpeg

Rub-positive-8063

New in Town
Unfortunately not mine.
I think they look great, considering that Type 1 are not necessarily my cup of tea.
But I'm afraid the leather would be too stiff for me. I could put my CXFQHH Café Racer down like that. I used to think they were cool, but now I find them too uncomfortable.
But who knows how the leather will turn out. Leilah is wearing the black one and will certainly be able to report back soon.

View attachment 610818 View attachment 610819

I just got my Type I (**my first non-mall leather jacket ever!) yesterday!

I love the fit and the look - I don’t think I’ve ever seen (or at least noticed if I did) anyone wearing one like it.

Being my first** I don’t know if my observations are expected for a jacket like this or not, so please advise a newbie accordingly!

Look: 10/10
Fit: 9/10 (leaving room for more discerning opinions)
Feel: ?/10
The leather is MUCH thicker and stiffer than any leather jacket I’ve ever owned or even shopped for at a mall. I seem to have pretty limited mobility crossing my arms. I saw Leilah mention on the IG post that the buffalo hide T1 would take “extra break-in.” Is there a way to help break in the jacket short of just wearing it a lot? For context, in min middle Tennessee and the weather is forecasted for mid 80’s F (27-30°C) for the foreseeable future.
Function: ?/10
With the leather being so stiff, I had a VERY hard time butting this jacket up. Tips??

IMG_2150.jpeg
IMG_2151.jpeg

KBlake

One Too Many

I love the fit and the look - I don’t think I’ve ever seen (or at least noticed if I did) anyone wearing one like it.

Being my first** I don’t know if my observations are expected for a jacket like this or not, so please advise a newbie accordingly!

The leather is MUCH thicker and stiffer than any leather jacket I’ve ever owned or even shopped for at a mall. I seem to have pretty limited mobility crossing my arms. I saw Leilah mention on the IG post that the buffalo hide T1 would take “extra break-in.” Is there a way to help break in the jacket short of just wearing it a lot? For context, in min middle Tennessee and the weather is forecasted for mid 80’s F (27-30°C) for the foreseeable future.
With the leather being so stiff, I had a VERY hard time butting this jacket up. Tips??

View attachment 610925 View attachment 610926
This is a great fit. The buttons will get easier to use the more you wear the jacket buttoned as the holes will stretch. If you can wear the jacket in the rain that should help soften it and it will mold to your body quicker.

MrProper

Congratulations.
Is the leather really stiff? I also have the two tone pull up leather (I think the same) and it's buttery soft.

Rub-positive-8063

New in Town
Congratulations.
Is the leather really stiff? I also have the two tone pull up leather (I think the same) and it's buttery soft.
Yes, from my perspective it is. Like I mentioned, very difficult to button too. I unbuttoned the chest pocket button (and found spares inside) and fought it for like 5 minutes to get it re-buttoned. Then when I buttoned the bottom 4 buttons for the above pics, they were difficult to button. Not like my Levi's or Levi demim jacket :)

Aloysius

Yes, from my perspective it is. Like I mentioned, very difficult to button too. I unbuttoned the chest pocket button (and found spares inside) and fought it for like 5 minutes to get it re-buttoned. Then when I buttoned the bottom 4 buttons for the above pics, they were difficult to button. Not like my Levi's or Levi demim jacket :)

Stiff Type 1 and Type 2 jackets are a really interesting breed.

On the one hand, they're about as far from the denim originals as you can get (those were made of quite lightweight denim compared to what later became the norm) so the use of stiff leather is a big change, but it brings out a really interesting dimension. The stiff material is definitely difficult to construct into such pleats, but on the other hand it is exactly the material that benefits most from all that, once broken in.

Schott has a really nice one in black horsehide.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab

You can speed up break in process by putting the jacket in the tumble dryer, put in a dozen tennis balls with it and let it get a good massage. I have seen a docu about some japanese outfit that does just that to pre-age their jackets.

Best way is physical labour in the jacket but with the temperatures being what they are at your place, this is probably the next best thing.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

Looks great!

I would take the stiff leather as a benefit in terms of longevity (and the patina-potential going with it).
For manual break-in just roll the whole jacket up repeatedly or bunch it up at will.

As to the buttons: stiff/thick leather and buttons are really a match made in hell. No solution other than just easing up the wholes by usage (you can try to gently stretch by putting a bottleneck in them, but I’d be wary to overdoe it and end up with a disfunctionally large hole).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot