Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Grey lid: Stetson Nostalgia vs. Akubra Camp Draft/Fed IV?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
I have finally decided to get a grey lid to compliment my brown ones. I was interested in comparing the current Stetson Nostalgia vs the Akubra Camp Draft. Which has the taller crown? Brim width? How does the quality of each felt stack up? Also, how does it stack up against the Fed IV's in shape and height (excepting the dimensional brim, of course)? I've been impressed with my Akubras' durability but like the Nostalgia's wide ribbon over replacing the ribbon on the Camp Draft.
Thanks
Jedidiah

Last edited:
Hi Dawgvet,

I do not have a Nostalgia, but do have a Campdraft and Fed IV. If you like more of a formal look, the Fed or Nostalgia is probably what you want. The Campdraft's are very nice, but the brim is about 2 7/8, so with that and the thinner ribbon, I think makes for a more casual hat. Now I see you were considering replacing the ribbon on the CD. Some loungers have done that to both CD's and Open Roads and it looks very nice.

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies. Can anyone comment on the quality of the Nostalgia felt compared to the Fed or CampDraft? I do wear my hats in the rain though this one will likely see more dress occasions than everyday use. How high is the crown on a Fed IV? Anyone trim the "Dimension-ality" out of a Fed brim?
Thanks
Jedidiah

Hey Jed. I think Rusty, RBH, had Major Moore trim up his Fed before having the edge bound. I sent a Moonstone Fed4 to Buckaroo to have Mike bind it but left the shape alone. I asked for an OR style ribbon treatment as well. I'll let you know when it comes back if you want to take a look. I don't think the crown of the Fed4 is a tall as a Campdraft but could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo