Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing the "fuzziness" from a new Stetson Nostalgia?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
I have a fairly new grey Stetson Nostalgia that I like but the brim seems particularly fuzzy, for lack of a better term. I would like to know how is best to remove this. I did try pouncing an Akubra Campdraft but can't remember the grit or type of sandpaper used. Not sure if this is what will be needed to smooth the finish out. If it is, should I only sand "with" the grain of the felt which I assume in counter-clockwise when looking at the upper surface of the brim. I realize that this isn't a terribly expensive hat so I'm not trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, just improve things a bit.
Thanks,
Jedidiah

jbucklin

Practically Family
Jedidiah,

Although the Nostalgia may not be as expensive as some hats, it is still a very nice hat---probably the best modern Stetson there is, and certainly not a sow's ear. Maybe you should post some pics of it, showing the fuzziness you're talking about. I'd be very careful trying to pounce such a nice hat, but that's just me.

I use fine then super fine then ultra fine sandpaper, actually little sponges with sandpaper attached to one side, to do my additional hat pouncing.
I've used them on modern Stetsons as well as Akubras. With the lower grades, I don't worry much about going with or against the grain but do finish with the ultra-fine in the counter-clockwise direction. Seems to help both look & hand to me....HTH

mdove

Familiar Face
You could always do what we did in the army with our wool berets...shave it using either a blade razor or one of those shavers for taking "pills" off sweaters. Be careful which ever method you use.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I use fine then super fine then ultra fine sandpaper, actually little sponges with sandpaper attached to one side, to do my additional hat pouncing.
I've used them on modern Stetsons as well as Akubras. With the lower grades, I don't worry much about going with or against the grain but do finish with the ultra-fine in the counter-clockwise direction. Seems to help both look & hand to me....HTH

Follow gtdean's advice. It WORKS !!

ThatHatGuy

New in Town
I wouldnt use sandpaper unless your getting spots out of it. Go to the store, buy a non soapy sponge. basic, rough no chemicals. Brush it counter clockwise, dry, then later if you wanna apply steam.

dawgvet

Familiar Face
HatGuy, are you saying brush it with a dry or wet sponge? You mentioned to let it dry after brushing so I was wondering? GTDean, thanks for the tip. Always count on the Deputy to help out us citizens :) Got to get together for lunch and compare lids!
Thanks,
Jedidiah

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Here are a couple shots of what I'm talking about.
f268882c.jpg

eec99e12.jpg

Thanks,
Jed

ThatHatGuy

New in Town
HatGuy, are you saying brush it with a dry or wet sponge? You mentioned to let it dry after brushing so I was wondering? GTDean, thanks for the tip. Always count on the Deputy to help out us citizens :) Got to get together for lunch and compare lids!
Thanks,
Jedidiah

Dry sponge, then add steam after the first dry run down of the fur, just use a pot and boiling water to get the fur moist, then use the sponge to lay the hair down in a counter clock wise motion. so it cleans and lays it down.

FinnSpinn

New in Town
I saw a movie recently here on the lounge of a hat maker that spayed some solvend on a hat and set it on fire to remove excess fibers. I wouldn't recommend this though.

dawgvet

Familiar Face
With all due respect, Mr. Fawcett, I will let your experienced self handle the setting afire of hats. I'll try alot of things, but that I'll pass on. I think I will try the sandpaper or sponge first.
Thanks,
Jed

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Just wanted to post an update. I pounced the brim with 220 grit sanding pad and that helped some. I still had more fuzz around the edge of the brim than I wanted. This seems the most conspicuous spot as well. After reading about using flame to remove the fuzz, I got brave and broke out a cigarette lighter. I quickly, and I do mean quickly, made a pass around the edge and the fuzz was gone!

bfa8925c.jpg

9ab2e24e.jpg

Thanks,
Jed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo