Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Gus Miller Custom "Bogart"

pgoat

One Too Many
Just fyi, I called Gus on my lunch break and he was a pleasure to speak with. I have one of the grey felts on reserve and he is going to hook me up after the holiday rush (my birthday is coming up so that will be another self-indulgent gift to myself!!:rolleyes: ).

I was a little worried about ordering a custom over the phone but he seemed very attuned to my needs (ie, my tete le ova is between normal sizes) and was a sweetheart to boot. His assistant was equally charming on the phone - I even got to practice my Greek!:D

pgoat

One Too Many
Boris K said:
Excellent, pgoat!

Let us know how it turns out and if I can help :eusa_clap

Thanks so much Boris! I'm pretty stoked about this one, seeing how nicely yours turned out!!

Gus seemed to know straight away who/what I was talking about.
What I might do is send him a pic of yours from this thread and ask if he can make the crown a hair taller and wider (less taper), not because of any concerns about fidelity to the original film hat; rather, more for better balance to my chubby cheeks!!

By all means, feel free to stop by and apologize to Gus on my behalf for the nerdy nitpickings of a hat fanatic!!:D

mike

Call Me a Cab
I crumbled and ordered one aswell!!!
I kept picking up the phone and then putting it down, and then looking at these pictures and picking up the phone again! hahaha
They seem very nice over there, I can't wait for the certain package in the mail! :D

Boris K

One of the Regulars

Congrats, Mike, hope you like it. Let us know.

I'll try to get up pics wearing it soon.

leo

One of the Regulars
To Boris K and the Fedora Lounge: Ladies and Gentlemen, I truly am indebted to all of you!

In the late 1990s I bought hats and had them serviced at a fantastic hat shop an hour's drive from home. Then it closed. I heard rumors making me suspect that shop in Cincinnati still existed, but I could not remember its name. Yep, it was Batsake.

I read this thread yesterday and nearly fell out of my chair. I found the phone number and called immediately. Talked to Gus himself. He's located only three blocks from a pen shop I like to visit.

If not for previous obligations, I would go there today and buy a new hat for Christmas. But I guarantee I WILL be there later next week!

Many, many thanks to you.

May you have very happy holidays. I know I will.

Bill

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Lulu and I have been looking for an excuse to return to the wonderfully art deco Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza Hotel, possibly for a New Year's blowout. The possibility of a side trip to Batsakes, apparently just one street over, may have just forced the decision!

That, sir, is a fine looking lid! :eusa_clap

leo

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Wow a fellow pen lover? What is the shop? We have some pen threads over in the General Acutraments section.

The store is called Appointments and is located inside the Carew Tower. I actually learned of FL through the Fountain Pen Network forum. I will check out General Acutraments.

Boris K said:
Leo, there is more information on Jimmy and Tango's Batesakes thread

Boris

Thank you for the link.

Bill

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
Wow a fellow pen lover? What is the shop? We have some pen threads over in the General Acutraments section.

:eek:fftopic:
He's not the only one. I've rediscovered my own fondness for fountain pens during the past year. I've got a couple of recent Waterman's but most are vintage Esterbrooks.

Cheers,
Tom

pgoat

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
:eek:fftopic:
He's not the only one. I've rediscovered my own fondness for fountain pens during the past year. I've got a couple of recent Waterman's but most are vintage Esterbrooks.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom. I just had my mom and dad's Esterbrooks (ca. late 50s) refurbished and they are a joy to write with. They have very fine nibs but are great for small print work and notes.

My wife loves vintage pens, but I am a sucker for any Pelikans, espcially large ones ...... I've yet to get a vintage one (not while hats are sopping up all my dough!)

Boris K

One of the Regulars
Pics

Thanks again for all the kind replies. Below are a couple of pics of me wearing the hat. I'm also wearning a mid 1990's Brooks Brothers wool overcoat.

Fedora_Overcoat3.jpg

Front view.

Fedora_Overcoat2.jpg

Back view, looking up to show the crease.

Fedora_Overcoat4.jpg

For a more period look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80