Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Hairstyling book

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Just ordered my copy.
When I asked about UK postage I was told it would be $9, but have been charged $12... It doesn't break the bank, but I want those $3 back ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The Shirt said:
Thanks for the reviews. I think it will suit me just fine as I still consider myself quite the beginner.

Another side note: The pincurl directions in this book are by far the most detailed and comprehensive that I've seen anywhere!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I was hoping for bang/fringe ideas as well. It's so precarious on me - betty bangs are not full enough and the high rolled bang looks stupid on me. Mine are long enough to blend into a roll - but I'm not too handy at very many styles.

Good about the pincurl instructions - seems to me that is what so many of us struggle with.

MissHannah

One Too Many
My copy arrived today and the pincurl instructions are very impressively detailed. Like KittyT I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of fifties styles though.

I've already had a quick go at a couple of the styles and had my usual struggles with securing my hair but there are some good ideas in there. All in all I'm not sure it was worth £20 but I'm glad I own it for reference.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissHannah said:
I've already had a quick go at a couple of the styles and had my usual struggles with securing my hair but there are some good ideas in there. All in all I'm not sure it was worth £20 but I'm glad I own it for reference.

I tried the Tiki Lounge style, as it's one of the only ones in there that really works for my hair length. It worked well for me and held all day. No pics though - I didn't think of it until after I got home and was starting to look a bit unkempt!

MissHannah

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I tried the Tiki Lounge style, as it's one of the only ones in there that really works for my hair length. It worked well for me and held all day. No pics though - I didn't think of it until after I got home and was starting to look a bit unkempt!

That was the one I really liked best but my hair is way too long at the moment. Glad to hear it worked for you though. If you do it again make sure you take photos! :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Also, I spent a lot of time looking through the book again last night and the instructions for finger waves do seem pretty good. The only thing she lacks is any mention of using clips to keep it in place while you're sitting under the dryer. If I did that to wet hair, no matter how much setting lotion I had in, It would fall out as soon as I removed my fingers.

I also re-evaluated a lot of the styles in there. I think there are more that I can do with bangs than I realized. A lot of them would look fine with my hair if I just curled under my bangs, and the ones that are updos with a curl fluff on top would probably work if I pincurled my bangs and tried to integrate them into the front of the style.

It's tough though - the reality of my situation is that it takes me awhile to set my hair, and I don't like to do it unless I'm going out for the night. At the same time, I don't want to try a new style if I'm going out, because I have no idea how much time it will take or if it will even work at all, and then my boyfriend will be relentlessly making fun of me as I try to salvage my screwed up 'do! If I'm not going out, I'm not that motivated to do my hair - I usually have a lot better things to do when I'm sitting a night in (like complete my stupid coffee table refinishing project). It's the classic Catch-22. I guess I'll just have to change my attitude.

Drea

New in Town
I bought this book in a vintage store not too far away from me the other day.. it's a great book.. I have quite of few books like this and I thought the author did a really amazing job..with the pictures..the diagrams.. I love how its so detailed and how it shows everything step by step with actual photos and not just drawings..it really is a really great book.. I would reccommend this to anyone especially beginners..and its nice that it shows ways to do everything with modern techniques as well!! GREAT BOOK..I give it 5 stars!! I think I might even like it more then the Daniela Turudich one I bought thats on the market for what almost $200 now?? its about time someone made a book like vintage hair styling!! buy it while you can!!

oh and another thing..its from Denver where I'm at which makes it even more special to me :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Darhling said:
will the book be a good purchase for a newbie who has no idea to style/set her hair in a vintage fashion?

Yes, it has some good, detailed information, as well as styles in a variety of difficulty levels. The first styles show styles using all modern techniques, and later in the book, the styles use vintage techniques.

Don't forget to supplement it with information from this forum though! There's a lot of useful (and in my opinion even crucial) information that you can find here that is omitted from the book.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I got it today and totally adore it. I almost regret that I had my hair cut short. However I wanna try out some of the styles at the weekend as it´s said that most dos are archiveable with any lengt of hair... we´ll see.... For now I´ll try if my page boy will really last longer with the tips there (I never pinned the back after brushing out and it tended to fall apart. We´ll see....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner