Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New hat for a newbie - fit question

harryj

New in Town
Hi,

Well, based on some good reviews of the Borsalino Traveler (yes, I know, quality has slipped, what else is new), I went ahead & purchased one. I am a size 7 1/2. My questions are:

Is there a rule of thumb how loose or tight a hat should fit? It does move *a little* from side to side if I move it by the brim.

Should the brim come in contact with my ears? It does rest lightly on the top of the ears.

TIA,

Harry J

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some of it is personal preference and style. Resting lightly at the tops of your ears is fine. That is how I like my hats to fit. Some people consider this as too large. I disagree.

There are as many ways to wear a hat as there are hat wearers!

As long as it is not falling down around your ears, or off your head when you move, then you are fine.

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
There are as many ways to wear a hat as there are hat wearers!

As long as it is not falling down around your ears, or off your head when you move, then you are fine.
Yes. What he said!:D

I prefer my hats a little more snug. A quarter to half inch over my ears is where I like to keep 'em.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I agree with the note above - if the hat is just snug enough that you can wear it where you like - and it doesn't put weight on your ears or fall off when you bend over - then it's just fine.

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
if it feels as if it will falloff if you look down its probably too big. if it leavea a line on your forehead when you tkeit off its probably too tight although this is not a bad thing on a windy day

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Related question: My C-crown Stetson is a 7-1/2, and the rounded part of the crown fits over my head like a skullcap. The brim lightly touches my ears at times, but does not rest on them. This is more noticable after a haircut. The sweatband fits my head properly, not too snugly but not loosely either. Is it too large? Should I get one of those 1/2 size strips?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner