Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Highwayman

Peacoat

Bartender
The Highwayman came on Monday. It was all I had expected. I knew the quality would be good, but I was somewhat worried about the fit. I ended up ordering a 42 in the body with sleeves and body length of a 44, as I am tall and have long arms. It is a good fit. Has a bit more material around the waist than I need. I am a 42 in the chest and wear a 34 trouser. Not a problem though as the small belts on the sides take up the slack pretty well.

I decided to get the cowhide as we have Thoroughbreds, and my wife said horsehide was not an option in this house! It is chrome tanned steer, same as the horse, and Amanda said the two were visually indistinguishable (she is right--see the pictures). Mark compared the two and said the cow is a little heavier and a little more supple than the horse. I think it is quite a bit more supple as I have come a long way toward breaking it in during the past four days. It rained here Tuesday (it is waterproof, just like the horse, due to the tanning process) and turned cold on Wednesday, so I have been able to wear it quite a bit. In fact it is lightly snowing here as I type this message--turned cold just in time!

The jacket hasn't yet grained up much, but it is beginning to stretch in all of the right places, due to my constantly wearing it and working with it. There is some graining in the bends and folds, but I think it will be a long while before it is fully grained out.

I wore it on the bike Wednesday, and it did fine, even if a bit tight. Tomorrow I will be taking it out again, and it should be supple and stretched enough to be comfortable, even while wearing a vest under it.

Enough text, here are the pictures:

frontfloor.jpg

back.jpg

Jacketbike.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
jacketquest said:
The Highwayman looks great! Man I love that heavy hide. Did you get it in cordovan?

Yes, it is cordovan. I'm not going to put anything on it until it starts to get dry--probably ten years or more--so there shouldn't be any color transfer problems to deal with.

As to the bike: I bought it new almost three years ago. I needed something more comfortable for long trips and a CB radio, as I lead and sweep rides for the local HOG chapter. I was surprised at the handling of the bike at highway speeds--so quick and responsive. Quite unlike its appearance.

I used to stay up with the crotch rockets pretty well, but eventually they could pull away from me because of my limited lean angle--compared to the rice burners. When I start scrapping one of my floorboards, I don't lean it anymore as I am approaching the limit of the machine's ability to maintain balance. It still leans over pretty well as I have ten inches of clearance, when upright, between the road and the floorboard. It's just that the Metrics are engineered to lean a little farther, thus taking the curves a little faster.

I say "I used to stay up" with them because as I got a little older, I got a lot wiser. I still scrape in the curves, but I don't race with the Metrics any more.
There are old riders and there are bold riders, but there are no old AND bold riders.* Someday I hope to be in the former category.

_________
*This is what we used to say about pilots, and I thought it would be appropriate to adapt it to bikers.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket. I love my new Highwayman, but if I could do it again I think I would go for the bi-swing back like you did.

That cordovan color is very cool. My next Aero will likely be in cordovan. I just have to decide which model.

I had mine made with the cotton drill lining, because I was hoping for a true 3-seasons jacket, plus Amanda recommended it as being the hardest-wearing. I've worn it (layered with a light sweater) in temps as low as -10 farenheit up to mid 60's. That Alpaca wool sure looks nice, and I'll bet it feels great as well, but I was concerned that it would be too warm on those mild days. It would be interesting to hear your views as the weather warms up.

Wear it well.

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Jovan said:
Immediately I was thinking of those Highwaymen coats that lace up at the top for disguise. :eusa_doh:

Very nice.
Odd that was what I was thinking of also, after I save up some cash I'm going to have a seamstress make one for me, get some dark blue heavy wool and brace of flintlock pistols and stand in the road and say "Stand and deliver!"
Ok not that last bit.

nerdator

New in Town
wow, that sure is a beauty. you are right, almost undistinguishable from horsehide. superb jacket and perfect fit. they do a wonderful job at Aero. is it really heavier than horsehide?

Peacoat

Bartender
nerdator said:
wow, that sure is a beauty. you are right, almost undistinguishable from horsehide. superb jacket and perfect fit. they do a wonderful job at Aero. is it really heavier than horsehide?

Nerdator: I don't have any horse to compare it with, but Mark at Aero compared it and said it was heavier than horse--at least this particular hide compared to the HH he used for comparison. I wouldn't think there would be much difference in the two hides. What we are looking for in a motorcycle jacket is abrasion resistance. Another post mentioned that HH was more abrasion resistant than cow hide, so even if the HH wasn't quite as thick it probably would give as good or better protection in the event of a go down. This jacket weighs right at seven pounds. I wouldn't think a HH in a 42 would be much lighter than that.

DJS Press: The lining you have is a good choice for a motorcycle jacket. I considered getting the cotton drill in mine, and then decided to opt for a little more warmth. On a bike I get chilled fairly easily, and stay in full leathers through about 75 degrees, when I come out of the chaps. I can't wear a leather jacket above about 80 (when the sun is out) whether it is lined or unlined. So, I decided to go with a little more insulation to help out on the other end of the scale. The Alpaca is actually very thin, so it adds no bulk to the jacket, but it does seem to add fairly good warmth. If I can't wear this one at 80, then I will unzip the lining out of my other one and wear it for the warmer weather rides. The other jacket also has vents, fore and aft, which is really nice. Around here in the summer, we seldom have a ride that is under 90 degrees, and many of them are over 95. So, not much use for a leather jacket, even unlined from May through September.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen