Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jacket issues

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
These are the only pics I have, I've posted them here before when I first got the jacket asking about fit. I think the fit is good, it's just the Horween FQHH is ridiculously tough, I imagine it would make a fantastic briefcase.

As for sleeping on it and stuff I don't want to put in creases that don't belong when I wear the jacket, that's why I don't really want to do artificial break in measures. Maybe the tennis balls under no heat in a dryer could help, I don't see how that could hurt.

I think I'll order a halfbelt in 2.5 steer or goat from Aero and see how that goes.

It's an AL Roadster in I believe 3 oz FQHH

k7QDAKE.jpg
nYJ514s.jpg
6YluIVC.jpg

I replied to the other thread and pointed out that the Chrome FQHH is very stiff from the swatch I had of it. But it did soften with some kneading. So as I said then what I do is wear a new jacket around the house, drive a lot in it and wear it as much as possible. I sit on it rolled up for a few weeks as well. Rolled up it won’t crease. But if you wear it and sit on it and use it a cushion, and generally thump it around a bit it will soften. This kind of hide is an acquired taste and I don’t have as much of a taste for as I once did. It’s lovely to look at but it will never be as comfortable as a lighter hide.

Or you can use a pump up spray bottle and spray it with water. Some people recommend with a little rubbing alcohol in the water. It will dry out and bring up the grain and soften it a bit. Or even wear it in the shower. Personally I don’t like to do those things but they can be effective.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I've never had a problem breaking it in, but then everyone's preference are different. In some respects, I wish mine stayed as stiff as they were when new. But there's no right or wron,g simply what you prefer. Vicenza is a bit softer from the off, ditto goat. Of course, there's also the tumbled / 'vintage' version of the CXL FQHH, which is bascially the same think but pre-broken in before it's turned into a jacket. That means it's much more pliable out of the box. Steer can actually be much heavier: like horse, there are different types. I have a HWM in a sort of mid-weight steer: it's about the same thickness as FQHH, but very plaible and drapes lovely right out of the box. It's the stuff Aero use when they have 'trainee made' HWM for sale. Worth enquiring about that one if you want something that's got the sort of give a FQHH jacket worn regularly will have after a few months right out of the box.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Agree with the other posters, looks great.

That said I had a Steerhide long halfbelt and I couldn't get on with it, I had it for around a year but didn't wear it enough to make much headway with it despite wearing it in the rain some and generally trying to beat it into submission. I just found it a little too bulky and awkward - though it fitted and looked great.
I put it down as a learning experience, sold it on and have looked to less stiff leathers.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Agree with the other posters, looks great.

That said I had a Steerhide long halfbelt and I couldn't get on with it, I had it for around a year but didn't wear it enough to make much headway with it despite wearing it in the rain some and generally trying to beat it into submission. I just found it a little too bulky and awkward - though it fitted and looked great.
I put it down as a learning experience, sold it on and have looked to less stiff leathers.

If that was the Aero CXL heavy steer the stuff’s like a suit of armour. The lighter CXL steer I bought from Al a couple of years ago softened pretty well. It was easier to break in than CXL HH but it’s still not as easy to wear as a lighter leather.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Probably more of a weight issue than a stiffness issue. I know people don't seem to notice the weight when it's worn, but the difference of a FQHH vs a lighter leather is pretty significant.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
It's early March here in New York so I probably have another six weeks of jacket weather (over 65 I don't wear a jacket). I'll give the jacket until then to see if it's a bit more comfortable, if it's still stiff as a board I'll put it on eBay and buy an Aero halfbelt in something a little less aggressive. I only paid $400 for the jacket so I doubt I'll lose much at all if I do flip it.

I'm really set on a cordovan halfbelt, do they do goat or 2.5 cowhide in cordovan?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
It's early March here in New York so I probably have another six weeks of jacket weather (over 65 I don't wear a jacket). I'll give the jacket until then to see if it's a bit more comfortable, if it's still stiff as a board I'll put it on eBay and buy an Aero halfbelt in something a little less aggressive. I only paid $400 for the jacket so I doubt I'll lose much at all if I do flip it.

I'm really set on a cordovan halfbelt, do they do goat or 2.5 cowhide in cordovan?

Never seen goat in cordovan. SB do a burgundy which is what yours is in their Clayton HH. That’s a much lighter full grain vegetable tanned English hide by a very long standing tannery. I’ve had a swatch and it is very nice leather and much closer in weight to the old US forties and fifties FQHH jackets. The Aero equivalent is Vicenza which is available in russet, but I don’t know if they have burgundy or cordovan. Both are very similar, but the Clayton swatch I had was a bit more grainy than the Vicenza swatches from Aero and Eastman who also has this leather.

There is a premium for these leathers from both companies.

Stand By

One Too Many
I'm no expert here (unlike the others who have already commented) as civilian and motorcycle jackets aren't my bag and I honestly don't know the difference between Shinki or Horween leathers - they're really just names to me as I've never experienced them.
However, I know a good looking and well-fitting jacket when I see one, and my goodness, that jacket looks superb and it fits you perfectly and looks good on you and my immediate reaction to the photos would to be to say keep it and tough it out.
I'm reminded on my old Doc Marten boots that I used to have in the early 90's. I have never had such a time breaking a pair of boots in - I was wearing Band-Aids for all the blisters and was still feeling distinctly hobbled by them at one point - but I toughed it out, completely determined that I would break them, rather than them breaking me (as Treeman says). And suddenly, after some weeks of misery (and it was a very close-run thing, I can confess. They almost broke me), I felt them surrender - and they became the best and most comfy boots I'd ever worn (at that time) and were a total delight for many, many years … I wore the soles off them in the end.
I can't recommend any tricks or tips; just perseverance. I think it'll be worth it.

Last edited:

pak

One of the Regulars
I would venture to say the reality of breaking in and wearing a heavy leather jacket is one of the primary reasons why so many of the 'worn a few times' jackets end up being sold. Quality leather jackets are very cool and I enjoy the materials and craftsmanship very much. However, I find a jacket weight measured in pounds(leather) will never be as comfortable as a jacket weight measured in ounces(fabric). My compromise is lighter leather but the comfort will never be as it is with a good fitting fabric garment.

My bootlegger is CXL steer...it's a really mean leather, a touch heavier than its FQHH brother...I think (but could well be wrong) that only the CXL hides are done in Cordo...

I would venture to say the reality of breaking in and wearing a heavy leather jacket is one of the primary reasons why so many of the 'worn a few times' jackets end up being sold. Quality leather jackets are very cool and I enjoy the materials and craftsmanship very much. However, I find a jacket weight measured in pounds(leather) will never be as comfortable as a jacket weight measured in ounces(fabric). My compromise is lighter leather but the comfort will never be as it is with a good fitting fabric garment.
I agree with the first part...I think many people end up selling because the break-in proccess is a long one and if you don't wear the jacket enough it won't happen on it's own...as far as comfort I dunno, my 10 year old FQHH 50's HB is so completely molded to my body that I don't feel the weight at all!

Edward

Bartender
I think you're right re the CXL hides being the only ones in Cordovan. They are, of course, available in the tumbled variant, which I think the Hound of Ulster might find makes all the difference in terms of break-in. Never seen a burgundy coloured goat fron anyone (which is not to say it doesn't exist). If it's just a break in issue, I'd recommend looking into the tumbled stuff if very keen on getting a cordo coloured jacket. Or just taking the time to wear it - my Bootlegger is as soft as goat now it's well broken in...

Edward

Bartender
I agree with the first part...I think many people end up selling because the break-in proccess is a long one and if you don't wear the jacket enough it won't happen on it's own...as far as comfort I dunno, my 10 year old FQHH 50's HB is so completely molded to my body that I don't feel the weight at all!

Maybe partly... though tbh, given the way this hobby niche attracts so many folks who never quite stop looking for the "perfect" jacket, and given how many folks sell one to fund the next, a rapid turnover rate isn't really all that unlikely!

I think you're right re the CXL hides being the only ones in Cordovan. They are, of course, available in the tumbled variant, which I think the Hound of Ulster might find makes all the difference in terms of break-in. Never seen a burgundy coloured goat fron anyone (which is not to say it doesn't exist). If it's just a break in issue, I'd recommend looking into the tumbled stuff if very keen on getting a cordo coloured jacket. Or just taking the time to wear it - my Bootlegger is as soft as goat now it's well broken in...
Edward you mentioned wishing that your jackets kept some of the initial stiffness...I agree! I love it. I think the best part of owning jackets from these leathers is the break in process.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
My bootlegger is CXL steer...it's a really mean leather, a touch heavier than its FQHH brother...I think (but could well be wrong) that only the CXL hides are done in Cordo...

Yeah I'm pretty screwed as I love the cordovan half belts I see posted here. But that only comes in Aero CXL FQHH or Heavy Steer. If this jacket breaks in OK by mid-April I'll pull the trigger over the summer on the Aero HB in cordovan.

Yeah I'm pretty screwed as I love the cordovan half belts I see posted here. But that only comes in Aero CXL FQHH or Heavy Steer. If this jacket breaks in OK by mid-April I'll pull the trigger over the summer on the Aero HB in cordovan.
I'm telling ya man if you can get a soaking sweat going while shoveling or some physical labor you'll break that pony pronto.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't think it is just the break in. I just find heavy leather unpleasant to wear. Even abundantly soft cowhide. Maybe it's the Australian conditions. I've had several 3 and 3.5oz leathers and have never enjoyed wearing them here. It's almost never cold enough and when it is I prefer other forms of outerwear.

apba1166

A-List Customer
Before I gave up on FQHH, an Aero Highwayman, for the same reason I got caught in a downpour. And kept it on all day and night. That helped. Then I stumbled upon even a better thing. I had an old alpaca poncho and one cold day I put that over it. It softened a lot. I realized it's the heat on both sides that makes it pliable. So I wore under the poncho off and on now and then and wore it in the rain a couple more times, and in a short time, and ever since, it has been fine...heavy, thick, and all the rest--but pliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy