Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jacket: Vanson x Thurston Bros. Gambler

Just received this new offering from Thurston Bros. and I have to say I'm quite pleased with it. I was initially drawn to this model in the TB thread and hadn't noticed that some subtle changes were made to the finished product until after I had purchased it. Fortunately I like the changes (nickel hardware and flap pocket snaps, these things were mentioned in the thread but I must've missed it).
It's made from Vanson's z-150 leather which is a skived down comp weight hide. 1.2mm vs 1.4mm. It's light weight. I'd say the jacket is just shy of 5lbs but the leather is insanely stiff. Far stiffer than any of my CXL jackets, which tend to soften quickly.

It initially feels very much like the comp weight hide and behaves the same as well. It's kind of spring loaded if that makes sense.

My jacket is tagged a 44" and feels and fits more like a 42". The numbers bear that out as well. The main difference fit wise between this jacket and my model E is the sleeve diameter. As you can see from the pics they are quite slim. The arm holes are cut up a bit higher as well. It's lined in Vanson's basic black Rayon, with one horizontal interior pocket.

Some cool mods away from the Raid and arrow which I believe this jacket is based off of are a functioning half belt and the snap down flap pocket. I was initially worried the snaps would detract from the simple elegance of the pattern but in the end I think they are actually pretty cool. Hiding them inside the flap itself might clean it up a bit. The half belt itself is skinny, no wider than the straps that hold the buckles, I think this is cool too. Two simple pleats above the belt. It's certainly going to take some time but I think when it finally yields this will be a favorite of mine.

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I have an ELMC Windward, which is the same pattern, with a few minor differences, but much more expensive. I really like the style, but mine fits a bit tight through the shoulders in size 44.

Vanson has called this style by a few different names over the years: Arrow, Raider, Raid.

I wouldn't mind having one, in comp weight.

I have an ELMC Windward, which is the same pattern, with a few minor differences, but much more expensive. I really like the style, but mine fits a bit tight through the shoulders in size 44.

Vanson has called this style by a few different names over the years: Arrow, Raider, Raid.

I wouldn't mind having one, in comp weight.
I've got my eye on the windward in brown. My first thought was I would likely send this back and have it remade in the comp weight hide but I think, as slim as it is, it would be terribly uncomfortable. Would need to have the arm diameter opened up a good inch or two and maybe some shoulder gussets.

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
Very cool jacket! I tried a Vanson Daredevil (in the Z-150) from Thurston Bros. last year and it was insanely snug. The leather seemed pretty sturdy to me but it was just too tight and the arms were quite narrow. I suspect the Z-150 jackets were targeted for the Japanese markets. I see a LOT of slim fit jackets from that market. I ended up returning it and getting a Model B. Just got a Thunderbird from Thurston Bros. last month and I love that jacket.

The Gambler looks a lot like the Vanson Arrow that I've long been considering having Carrie order in brown. She seems to be able to get just about anything you want out of Vanson. It took me three years to get a handful of stickers from them. :mad:

Here's the Arrow:
http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-ARROW-661.aspx?

Very cool jacket! I tried a Vanson Daredevil (in the Z-150) from Thurston Bros. last year and it was insanely snug. The leather seemed pretty sturdy to me but it was just too tight and the arms were quite narrow. I suspect the Z-150 jackets were targeted for the Japanese markets. I see a LOT of slim fit jackets from that market. I ended up returning it and getting a Model B. Just got a Thunderbird from Thurston Bros. last month and I love that jacket.

The Gambler looks a lot like the Vanson Arrow that I've long been considering having Carrie order in brown. She seems to be able to get just about anything you want out of Vanson. It took me three years to get a handful of stickers from them. :mad:

Here's the Arrow:
http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-ARROW-661.aspx?
I had a Raid jacket which was the predecessor to the Arrow. Had a little different fit and no HB. Agreed about the z-150 jackets. They are really trim. I'm hoping as it relaxes I'll get a bit more ease in the sleeves!

Looks fantastic Tony. Fit looks great too and don't think you would want to size up.
Thanks Fanch. The body feels good and I agree that sizing up probably wouldn't help the sleeve diameter. Been wearing it around the house with a thin hoody underneath to help push the sleeves out a bit. Eye rolling from the wife and daughter in full effect

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
Yeah I'm stalking that one too. I think I'd need a 46" in that one....which seems insane even typing it.

I actually ordered the ELMC dpocket the othe othe day from HPS and I got it in 46 according to the sizing info on their site... I am usually a 40-42

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
And another great looking jacket presented by you. At this point, I am no longer sure this is the jackets effort or the wearers. Maan, I gotta learn these poses! :D Great fit, as usual!

(I'm not gonna lie, it slightly tilts me that Thurston and their customers are receiving Vanson jackets all day long and I am still waiting on that America jacket I ordered in early December. Thurston's probably getting a special treatment in the waiting list order...)

And another great looking jacket presented by you. At this point, I am no longer sure this is the jackets effort or the wearers. Maan, I gotta learn these poses! :D Great fit, as usual!

(I'm not gonna lie, it slightly tilts me that Thurston and their customers are receiving Vanson jackets all day long and I am still waiting on that America jacket I ordered in early December. Thurston's probably getting a special treatment in the waiting list order...)
I think TB ordered these in late September...at least that's how far back my email chain goes with Carrie on this jacket.
When I ordered my Derby from them it took 9 months!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk