Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jacket: Vanson x Thurston Bros. Gambler

Hey Ton......I thought the Johnson was going to be the last one...........Keep going though..... as we are the same size !!
Eventually, something is going to have to go. At this point I can't even begin to decide. But I'm really liking the ELMC windward in walnut.
I'm also growing to appreciate lighter weight leather. Not more so but I get it. Hell hath frozen over.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Yeh, I am probably wronging them, I am just bad at waiting. :D I got a mail late January that got my hopes up and then two weeks later I was told they went out of leather before mine got cut and they are waiting for a new batch of leather. Unlucky me, that's all. Anway, didn't mean to hijack our thread of this beautiful jacket, enjoy wearing it, looks great!

Yeh, I am probably wronging them, I am just bad at waiting. :D I got a mail late January that got my hopes up and then two weeks later I was told they went out of leather before mine got cut and they are waiting for a new batch of leather. Unlucky me, that's all. Anway, didn't mean to hijack our thread of this beautiful jacket, enjoy wearing it, looks great!
No hijack at all. When I ordered my Derby the email was "lost" and my order sat in limbo for a good 4 months! You'll be rewarded for your wait!

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
The Vanson America will be worth the wait...............for sure !! Trust me on this one, it is one damn cool jacket bar none !!! ( sorry Ton, just had to get that in ).....

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Looks awesome Tony! Very well done. I like the mix of styles, along with simple nickle hardware and rich deep black leather. I get it, too, with regard to slightly lighter weight leathers. Maybe I just need to spend more time at the YMCA (and oh do I ever) and my 4 - 5 oz Steer and Horse jackets will get more time on my back again. Keep it on, keep wearing it and starting to break it in. Seems it takes a while with these, I like the "spring" comment, good description.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Holy crap that's badass Ton! Great Fit, leather looks like armor. Cant wait to see how it evolves! Congrats!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I've got my eye on the windward in brown.

That's what I have, American Walnut as Eastman call it. It's a really beautiful color. The topcoat wears quickly, though, which I was surprised by, and not necessarily in a good way. I was hoping it'd look new a long time, and it's going to have that well-worn in look that everyone loves much sooner than later.

My first thought was I would likely send this back and have it remade in the comp weight hide but I think, as slim as it is, it would be terribly uncomfortable. Would need to have the arm diameter opened up a good inch or two and maybe some shoulder gussets.

Agreed, the Windward is a good fit on me overall, but very snug through the shoulders and upper arms. I really wonder if I should have gone with a 46...

That's what I have, American Walnut as Eastman call it. It's a really beautiful color. The topcoat wears quickly, though, which I was surprised by, and not necessarily in a good way. I was hoping it'd look new a long time, and it's going to have that well-worn in look that everyone loves much sooner than later.

Agreed, the Windward is a good fit on me overall, but very snug through the shoulders and upper arms. I really wonder if I should have gone with a 46...
I was surprised to learn they ran so true to size. It just goes to show that numbers really don't always tell the whole story and tag size is literally almost meaningless!

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
Thats a great piece of jacket, Ton. You wear it well. What's your cross zip count up to now? I admire your collection, man.

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
I'm not gonna lie, it slightly tilts me that Thurston and their customers are receiving Vanson jackets all day long and I am still waiting on that America jacket I ordered in early December. Thurston's probably getting a special treatment in the waiting list order...)

It's not just you, Junkie. Vanson is the best in my opinion, but their customer service is über langsam. Seriously, I ordered a set of hanger stickers several years ago. Never got here. Called Vanson and they swore they sent them. Address correct and everything. So, I ordered them again. Never got them. Swore they sent them. I ordered my first jacket from Thurston, got here in a week. Few months later I ordered a second jacket from Thurston and asked if I could maybe get some stickers. Jacket was here in a week...with stickers!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm also growing to appreciate lighter weight leather.

upload_2017-3-3_22-42-6.png

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko