New jacket: Vanson x Thurston Bros. Gambler

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by ton312, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Huh! I'd imagine the o___o pocket would be really useful on a bike. I always have to dig for the wallet and change on the toll booth and a big snap-on pocket like seems like a really good idea. Unzipping pockets on a new Vanson is always a nightmare!

But is the leather really this much lighter than the comp. weight? According to Vanson, the Z-150 is like marginally lighter and still heavier than the fuh-ren-zee stuff.

ton312 likes this.
  2. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

It's definitely lighter. It weighs about half the model E...some of that could be accounted for with the puffy liner and snap on collar but probably not a full 5lbs. You're right about the o__o being useful tho. You can fit a good amount of crap in there!

3. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Just logged in after a hectic weekend and see Ton's done it again! Suits you to a T man! And those photos aren't proof of madness, they're just a way to make you our hero around here. lol

El Marro and ton312 like this.
  4. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

lol Well, considering that pretty much anything weights half the model E, that ain't saying much. XD It's the only jacket I've ever had that becomes burdensome after few hour of wear. In a good way, of course but it's a tank of a jacket! But the fact remains you're not really wearing E as much as you carry it.

El Marro and ton312 like this.
  5. JMax

JMax One Too Many

It is lighter, and not marginally either. Noticeable but still with some heft. IMO it still offers better protection than the firenze (weren't the vampires in the Necroscope series named that?) but not to the degree of even my perforated comp jacket. Though that one also has armor.

ton312 and Monitor like this.
  6. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

The firenze is not a great hide in my opinion...it's pebbled appearance, limp and lifeless nature just don't push my buttons. It won't crease up the same way the comp, z-150 and octagon do...not sure why they even offer that one TBH.

JMax likes this.
  7. Rich22

Rich22 One of the Regulars

That is an incredibly good looking jacket, I'd choose that over pretty much any other cross-zip style

ton312 likes this.
  8. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

It was man. But talk about tight sleeves. These z-150 jackets are for the slimmer built body types I think. I couldn't get comfortable in it.

9. Rich22

It's a bugger isn't it. Everything seems built for skinny folk these days. I have to buy obscure jeans because I can't find anything in the shops that will fit over my thighs and arse. Even Iron Heart only sell a couple of styles that will fit, and that lumbers me with a high front rise that I neither want or need. At least suit trousers and jackets are easy (and cheap) to get custom made to a decent standard when you visit SE Asia.

ton312 likes this.
  10. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

The fits on all of these are so perfect and I can actually tell the difference between all of them :D

I think you have the best fitting jackets on this forum.
    Absolutely beautiful stuff. You're making me want a moto jacket more and more.

ton312 likes this.
  11. Rich22

Those are 4 cool jackets. Which was most comfortable? And which was your favourite? In those pics I'd say bottom left looks best but I don't know if it is too tight..

ton312 likes this.
  12. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

The only one left in the closet is the Johnson Leathers (top right)! The top two were/are my favs of the bunch. The bottom two were ultimately built a bit too tight. Man this thread revival has me all hyper geeked about my next jacket...just when I thought I was going to be able to just sit back and chill for the next few months, watch the leaves change and temps dip...now I'm foaming at the mouth!

red devil, El Marro and dubpynchon like this.
  13. red devil

red devil One Too Many

The road to Jacket Nirvana takes a lifetime :D

ton312 likes this.
  14. MCA

MCA New in Town

I believe I am the proud owner of the BL on the top left, Picked it up from Tony last December and love i!

ton312 and jacketjunkie like this.
  15. Edgar Laurel

Edgar Laurel One of the Regulars

I like the pattern. How's the breakin'n the beast going??

16. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Update:
    Reordered the restock from Thurston Bros and I couldn’t be happier I did. The key differences are the now hidden d pocket snaps, the half belt strap direction and this batch of z150. It’s considerably thicker and softer. I’d swear it was the naked comp weight Vanson put out in the late 90’s. It has the exact same feel and I suspect it will age the same. The fit is the about the same with a slighty more generous sleeve profile. Still a very slim fit cross zip but this batch of z makes it so much more wearable. Vanson makes a great product. They aren’t perfect but I think for the cost they are are a good value. This chapter is closed.
    7D351D2D-31A1-45F3-95D7-F2F2B0B9AEEF.jpeg
    072BA445-0F02-4F35-B13E-509C1A6C2CE9.jpeg
    C158BE2D-01D4-4C7E-A57F-2063A9728E39.jpeg
    53EA27E2-FECB-4121-BE3C-50D40230C462.jpeg
    45340697-565B-4882-AFBE-A413D3F0FDE7.jpeg
    0FDE155E-1094-468B-8065-3ECCFB9DD910.jpeg

dannyk, b1lf, Peter Mackin and 13 others like this.
  17. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Unzipped!
    7978C8EB-C646-44F9-99DC-08EE4CA003BB.jpeg

18. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

Perfect! How cool is that?! I think I’m gonna have to order one too...

ton312 likes this.
  19. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

What’s the lining like in these?

20. dubpynchon

dubpynchon A-List Customer

Very nice! Great fit as well, sleeve and body length. Chapter closed indeed...

ton312 likes this.