Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Job...but how to dress??

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm starting a new job next week after being at the same place for 7 years.
It's exciting, but naturally I'm nervous.
Before I went on the interview, I was told that it would be a "business casual" meeting. I wore a 50's gabardine shirt, 40's wool slacks and black loafers. The man interviewing me on the other hand was wearing a hooded sweatshirt, jeans and sneakers. This is what the company sells, but it hardly seemed business like at all. Like I said earlier, I got the job, and now I am going away for two weeks for a training course with 30 other new hires.
What should I bring? I mean, if they say it's business casual, that obviously doesn't mean much.
Just a little background here: all my clothes are vintage, or vintage repros. I don't have a polo and a pair of chinos to throw on (let alone 2 weeks worth of them). My casual dress is what most might think of as "dressed up".
This training is in the corporate offices, so it will be good to stand out, but I don't want my fellow trainees thinking "Who IS this guy?" either.
Advice? Ideas?
**Let me add also that when I'm officially on the job, the dress code is "collared shirt with jeans or chinos".

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
I say wear what you want. If the person that interviewed you didn't bother to dress up, then it seems they don't care how their employees look except for them wearing logo attire that they sell.

I'd wear your vintage, mixed and matched (but in good way). Set yourself apart. People tend to gravitate towards a well dressed person, whether they like it or not.

Lonn

Familiar Face
Respect

Part of why I dress the way I do is out of respect for those around me. Especially the people I work with.
I'm in IT. I got a great gig in a small software start up a few month ago. Information Technology has a dress code and it is deplorable. Shortly after I showed up, the company had a dress code. Coincidence? Probably. Maybe.
A couple months later my supervisor started wearing his Fedora to work. Not a bad hat. Not a vintage gem, but no BCF wool crap either. And my young team mate, we are the "linux team" won a nice Homberg on ebay. And a vintage Pea Coat. And I'm pretty sure these folks are wearing nice shirts more and more. And I talk shoes with the head of another department.
Starting to get the idea?
Some one around here signs their posts something to the effect that there is never a need to excuse one self for dressing well.

Wear your best; they deserve it.
lonn

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Hugh is right. If a person is a true slob to the core and does not appreciate the way you dress,...who cares? Their problem, not yours. :rolleyes:
Dress as you are accustomed to and to thine own self be true.
(Is there such a thing as a vintage "hoody"?) :)

flat-top

Maj.Nick Danger said:
(Is there such a thing as a vintage "hoody"?) :)
Actually, I do have a several repro sweatshirts, the Japanese kind discussed in other threads. I can certainly bring them to my training!

EvenOdd

New in Town
Lonn said:
Part of why I dress the way I do is out of respect for those around me. Especially the people I work with.
I'm in IT. I got a great gig in a small software start up a few month ago. Information Technology has a dress code and it is deplorable. Shortly after I showed up, the company had a dress code. Coincidence? Probably. Maybe.
A couple months later my supervisor started wearing his Fedora to work. Not a bad hat. Not a vintage gem, but no BCF wool crap either. And my young team mate, we are the "linux team" won a nice Homberg on ebay. And a vintage Pea Coat. And I'm pretty sure these folks are wearing nice shirts more and more. And I talk shoes with the head of another department.
Starting to get the idea?
Some one around here signs their posts something to the effect that there is never a need to excuse one self for dressing well.

Wear your best; they deserve it.
lonn

I'm starting my first job in January as a software engineer, and like Lonn said, technology isn't known for their style. I met the team I'd be working with, and from what I saw it's chinos and a collared shirt. Seems the business casual dress code is enforced. The only suits I own are cheap navy and black "interview suits" (something you grab off the rack to get a job) so I won't show up with that. I think a tie from day one will go nicely.

flat-top: Let's hope things go well with your new job. Good luck with not only clothes but also the job itself.

Edward

Bartender
For my attitude to dressing, see the quotation in my signature! Really, I do feel that it's always better to be overdressed than under. You'll feel a whole lot less self-concious. I'd maybe stick with the slightly more casual end of your vintage wardrobe if they're all going to be casual, but really if what you wore to the interview was all that weird to them, do you think they'd have been as ready to hire you? ;)

flat-top

Edward said:
For my attitude to dressing, see the quotation in my signature! Really, I do feel that it's always better to be overdressed than under. You'll feel a whole lot less self-concious. I'd maybe stick with the slightly more casual end of your vintage wardrobe if they're all going to be casual, but really if what you wore to the interview was all that weird to them, do you think they'd have been as ready to hire you? ;)
I'm always overdressed. I mean, that's my thing! I guess what I'm nervous about is packing 2 weeks worth of clothes and being stuck with these choices no matter what. I'm definitely only bringing what I feel is casual stuff, but still, probably not casual at all in other's eyes.
At my current (old) job, I am an executive at a department store, so my daily wardrobe is suits, ties, etc, and I'm really going to miss it. It's kinda crazy that my new "sloppy" job is paying me so much better!
And thanks EvenOdd! Good luck to you too!

tonypaj

Practically Family
I work with scientists and engineers, business casual does not exist. Try casual casual, or not-even-casual, or...

Usually they look at me like I have three heads, and compared to people on this board I keep it really casual, A-2s and like, khakis, ties, newsboy caps, and the colors usually match. But after 9 years with this particular organization, no one really cares, they just stare at me, same as the cows here on the Swiss-French countryside... One of the biggest shots we have almost always wears t-shirts, shorts and sandals with dirty brown socks, at times even in the winter (well, he also stares at me when I pass by in my cherry Barnstormer...).

Don't worry too much, if they've hired you, you're on your way.

tonypaj

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I'd definately agree with most of the opinions just to be yourself. Having said that, however, there is some danger in not being taken seriously if you buck the system too much. A co-worker commented to me that if he didn't know me, he'd wonder why I was dressed the way I am, and that gave me pause. I'm not so much worried about my co-workers, but if I have to go up to the head shed to meet with the general on short notice, I don't want him wondering why I dress the way I do and then subconsciously (or consciously) dismissing me or what I have to say. Basically I want to express my own style, but not be be so blantant that the perception is that I am wearing a costume.

On a more pratical note, I'd say a bit on the overdressed side is better than underdressed, but overpacking is only a problem at the airport. Take a variety of items that you may even suspect you'd need. You may not wear some of it, but at least you're prepared for anyhting.

kbadr

Familiar Face
I say you dress as you normally would, and perhaps even a little more formally. I look forward to starting a new job so I can strut in on the first day wearing a suit and set the expectation that it is normal.

You will be amazed what will start to happen. I guarantee people will treat you a little differently, and if you do it consistently, the trend will spread throughout the office and you will be the one who started it. Talk about establishing yourself as high-status!

On a related note, Mojave Jack, I bet you'll find that a higher-up would be more inclined to subconsciously give you more merit than perhaps you deserve if you dress up well.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
flat-top said:
Just a little background here: all my clothes are vintage, or vintage repros. I don't have a polo and a pair of chinos to throw on (let alone 2 weeks worth of them). My casual dress is what most might think of as "dressed up".

Seems like this is you, not a show, an act or anything like it. But you have a tone that seems others will perceive it as such. You cant change their minds, and seems if these are all new hires, they are gonna be as frazzled as you. May as well look good while youre learing tons of stuff.

Be yourself in your casual :)

And if people ask; "Why are you so dressed up?" you can tell them; "This is all I have." ;)

LD

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Edward said:
. . . . Really, I do feel that it's always better to be overdressed than under. . . . .
This is almost precisely what I was going to say. If you're unsure, it's better to be overdressed than underdressed. if you show up in suit and tie and are overdressed, you can always take off the jacket and tie. Heck, roll up your sleeves and give that "I'm really working hard" impression!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
*parody alert*

I love it that when someone asks for job clothes advice there is a mix posts that actually give advice the new job guy can use and posts that go right to the default position of "suit+tie+well-shined shoes".

NEW THREAD: Hey, I just got a job shovelling quicklime, what should I be wearing?

Post One: Overalls, big boots, goggles.

Post Two: Society today is made up of lazily-dressed slobs, and I say one should always wear more than what one is expected to wear. Argyle socks might be nice.

Post Three: I agree, nobody does dress so well no more, so I says wear a shirt and tie until you're told that youse is overdressed.

Post Four: I have pictures of my great grandfather shovelling quicklime in a suit and tie and a large walrus moustache, therefore I suggest a suit and tie and I further suggest that you take a weekend sometime to grow out your moustache (you don't want anyone to see your lip dusted with mere whiskers, now, do you). Incidentally, my great grandfather sadly dissolved on the job one afternoon, leaving nothing but his magnificent moustache which we have displayed above the family mantle ever since.

Etc. Etc.

You can ask around or you can look around, and then dress to express yourself within the reasonable boundaries you've sussed out. The Dick Tracy look is just not approariate in all circumstances, no more so than a hoody and jeans are.

Whoever said that you should not dress too much better than the person who can fire you knows what he's talking about.

flat-top

jake_fink said:
I love it that when someone asks for job clothes advice there is a mix posts that actually give advice the new job guy can use and posts that go right to the default position of "suit+tie+well-shined shoes".

NEW THREAD: Hey, I just got a job shovelling quicklime, what should I be wearing?

Post One: Overalls, big boots, goggles.

Post Two: Society today is made up of lazily-dressed slobs, and I say one should always wear more than what one is expected to wear. Argyle socks might be nice.

Post Three: I agree, nobody does dress so well no more, so I says wear a shirt and tie until you're told that youse is overdressed.

Post Four: I have pictures of my great grandfather shovelling quicklime in a suit and tie and a large walrus moustache, therefore I suggest a suit and tie and I further suggest that you take a weekend sometime to grow out your moustache (you don't want anyone to see your lip dusted with mere whiskers, now, do you). Incidentally, my great grandfather sadly dissolved on the job one afternoon, leaving nothing but his magnificent moustache which we have displayed above the family mantle ever since.

Etc. Etc.

You can ask around or you can look around, and then dress to express yourself within the reasonable boundaries you've sussed out. The Dick Tracy look is just not approariate in all circumstances, no more so than a hoody and jeans are.

Whoever said that you should not dress too much better than the person who can fire you knows what he's talking about.
HA!!
Ok, I'm not sure if I should start a new thread, but my current job has just counter offered, but still not as much $$ as the new place. Should I stay in my familiar well dressed surroundings, or throw caution to the wind and go for the money? GAH!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
flat-top said:
HA!!
Ok, I'm not sure if I should start a new thread, but my current job has just counter offered, but still not as much $$ as the new place. Should I stay in my familiar well dressed surroundings, or throw caution to the wind and go for the money? GAH!
I'm not sure that we can answer that one for you. I would, however, point out that your current job countering tells me that you now have some leverage, if you wanted to see what sort of deal you can negotiate.

flat-top

Aabraxan said:
I'm not sure that we can answer that one for you. I would, however, point out that your current job countering tells me that you now have some leverage, if you wanted to see what sort of deal you can negotiate.
There's obviously more to the story but I'll spare everyone! I am really just torn because I've been at this place for so long that's it's gonna be hard to leave, especially since I don't really know much about the new place. I just know that they want to pay me more. I have to give an answer by tomorrow and I really don't know what to do............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch